Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 06:16 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I have been hypothyroid more than 40 years.

My fasting glucose is in the 80s typically.

No doctor has even hinted that there was any relation to diabetes in my future. . . . (Not saying it isn't possible).

But I think I'd have found out by now on my own if it was . . .

BTW I live on carbs. Crappy carbs too. Primarily because I like them but also because I am hungry if I don't eat them.

A lot of this is not so simple as people try to make it out to be.
My mother and sister and grandmother all had hypothyroidism. None of them were diabetic.

My mom had kidney failure and was on dialysis, so she had restrictions on what she could eat, but she ate cookies every day because she was allowed to have them.

There's no one size fits all, I know. I will see what my doctor says about all this tomorrow.

Old 10-10-2023, 07:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother and sister and grandmother all had hypothyroidism. None of them were diabetic.

My mom had kidney failure and was on dialysis, so she had restrictions on what she could eat, but she ate cookies every day because she was allowed to have them.

There's no one size fits all, I know. I will see what my doctor says about all this tomorrow.
Definitely no one size fits all. I am Type 2, recently put on a small amount of insulin. I am slim, exercised my whole life. However; I have always had a nervous, "high strung" personality; and it has been proven that hormones like cortisol and adrenaline will affect your blood glucose. My sister has been overweight her entire life and never exercised yet she is not diabetic. So go figure.

Even with insulin, exercise and watching what I eat some days I still wake up with higher numbers (I am one who has problems with fasting glucose). It's like it's all a crapshoot sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 11:50 AM

102,192 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
^Thank's, OH. My father developed Type 2 diabetes in his 50s, and he was never overweight, so I may just be doomed.
This is key info.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is key info.
Ya think?

Old 10-11-2023, 12:34 PM

6,092 posts, read 3,332,788 times
I believe the average person, which I fall into that category, would do well for themselves by limiting carbs.

I don’t believe you need to be as restrictive as keto, but I don’t believe the USDA guidelines of 300 grams per day, either. That is just way too many for the vast majority of people.

Also, if you don’t track your daily intake, you will be shocked at how many carbs go into your body each day.

What I’ve found works best for me is 50-75 per day, every once in awhile will do about 100. Easy to sustain, still have some enjoyment with my diet, but most importantly feel so much better.

Lastly, if you backslide and eat a whole pizza, or something like that, just intermittent fast to undue the damage you just caused yourself.

But again, I find 50-75 grams very easy and have been doing it for years now.

Old 10-11-2023, 12:35 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I have been hypothyroid more than 40 years.

My fasting glucose is in the 80s typically.

No doctor has even hinted that there was any relation to diabetes in my future. . . . (Not saying it isn't possible).

But I think I'd have found out by now on my own if it was . . .

BTW I live on carbs. Crappy carbs too. Primarily because I like them but also because I am hungry if I don't eat them.

A lot of this is not so simple as people try to make it out to be.
Quote:

Based on talking to people and doctors over the years, plus everything I’ve read, I don’t think it’s so much that hypothyroidism cause type II diabetes as it is that it makes it harder to control, which ends up resulting in needing medication.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:20 PM

I saw the endocrinologist today, and he did not see my FSB as a need to declare me diabetic. He said it matches the A1C of 6.1, and that the A1C is favored as a decision-maker, since the FSB is just a one-day snapshot.

My cholesterol has been high, in the 240s (like out of the blue a couple of years ago after a lifetime of total cholesterol of 180 or so), so last time I saw him, which was after a two-year absence from the US and it was still high, he put me on a statin.

I got the usual side effects of foot cramps, muscle aches, etc., and I stopped taking them and told him so.

He said something interesting. Most pre-diabetic people will never develop diabetes, but their higher blood sugar often plays a part in heart disease, and pre-diabetics die of sudden heart attacks more than people with lower blood sugar.

He also said that in addition to the lowering of cholesterol, the statins protect the heart in other ways, and because both my parents and most of my older relatives did die of heart disease and my blood sugar is elevated to the prediabetic stage, he recommended that I continue to take the statin, but first take COQ10 and Vitamin D for a month before restarting.

He was also happy with the 14-pound weight loss, even though I was frustrated at the slowness of weight loss over six months, but he said that's the way to do it. I'm not "dieting", just eating differently. Mediterranean-ish, more or less.

I don't want to start the arguments here against cholesterol meds because this is the Diabetes forum, but since in my case it tied together, I offered the information.

He did not see my thyroid issues as related to my blood sugar. When I asked about my numbers being at the bottom of the normal scale, he said that's where he wants to keep it, given that an enlarged and fibrous thyroid is what brought me there in the first place. Then he sent me off for an ultrasound to look at the nodules. I expect a biopsy will be next. He generally likes to biopsy the nodules every so often. I suppose he would be remiss if he didn't.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I believe the average person, which I fall into that category, would do well for themselves by limiting carbs.

I don’t believe you need to be as restrictive as keto, but I don’t believe the USDA guidelines of 300 grams per day, either. That is just way too many for the vast majority of people.

Also, if you don’t track your daily intake, you will be shocked at how many carbs go into your body each day.

What I’ve found works best for me is 50-75 per day, every once in awhile will do about 100. Easy to sustain, still have some enjoyment with my diet, but most importantly feel so much better.

Lastly, if you backslide and eat a whole pizza, or something like that, just intermittent fast to undue the damage you just caused yourself.

But again, I find 50-75 grams very easy and have been doing it for years now.
I've adjusted to the pizza issue by only eating the topping. And I order pizzas with a whole meal's-worth of topping: a variety of veggies + a couple of meats or meat + feta cheese as toppings.

Old 10-11-2023, 01:48 PM

MQ, my one concern with statins is, that they're contraindicated for people with pre-diabetes or at risk of that. I wonder what your doc's opinion is of that. Instead, I take an herbal remedy that's been studied in the German-speaking countries and found to be very valuable and effective. It's part of the Tibetan herbal pharmacopeia, and can be ordered from Amazon: called Padma Basic. This is available in all pharmacies throughout Germany, Austria and Switzerland, and is now manufactured by the Swiss.

I call it the roto-rooter remedy, because it flushes out the cardio system and keeps it clear, and has other benefits as well. You may have seen me post about this before. In those countries mentioned, it has saved lives, or prolonged the lives of people told they only had a month or a few months left to live, or would require an amputation, and so on.

More info here: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23860110/ In Europe and among Tibetans, it's called Padma 28 (as the literature calls it).

Old 10-11-2023, 03:28 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,228 times
Mightyqueen, I vaguely remember one or more of my doctors saying that hypothyroid would increase your total cholesterol - something about you don't process it as well I think - but they they show no concern - even the cardiologist. I can't say if this applies but you could search on it. (I always do well on the HDL and triglcerides anyway - but not the total). I think my total was ~ 200. I will be curious to see if it has improved since I am getting more exercise these days but I rather doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes