Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 10:07 PM

32,990 posts, read 36,513,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiTer View Post
Have a beach house in Lewes and never have smelled chicken farms, only that salty beach air!
I don't think that there are any chicken houses in the area. I searched that internet thing, and I couldn't find any. They all seem to be further west.

I'll take cow dung any day of the week over that, but I grew up in PA. There were more cows than chickens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:05 PM

829 posts, read 633,031 times
If we're going to talk cow dung, I wonder if anyone has thought about proximity to dairy farms!! Kidding. But actually, we live within a few miles of one very popular for their ice cream and I can honestly say we've never smelled it.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:41 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
And thus, a theme emerges:

One might think that during these difficult times, there might be a few universally-held beliefs that would draw our our social distances just a bit closer. Beliefs such as "the sky is blue" and "chickensh_t stinks." But no such luck. I'll therefore assert for only myself that chickensh-t stinks and I wouldn't want to live downwind of a chickenhouse. If that makes me a snob, I'll bet I have a lot of company.
I am so with Pine to Vine on this one. Chicken houses stink. I grew up in Milford and there were chicken houses everywhere and while I didn't live close to them, you could smell them before you saw them when you were driving. I'd say they were worse than the mushroom farm we lived near when we lived in Delaware county.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:45 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,305,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I am so with Pine to Vine on this one. Chicken houses stink. I grew up in Milford and there were chicken houses everywhere and while I didn't live close to them, you could smell them before you saw them when you were driving. I'd say they were worse than the mushroom farm we lived near when we lived in Delaware county.
Well, toobusy....You did the right thing and moved away. You're proof of the pudding....if you don't like a particular place....move. Delaware, an agricultural state, is certainly not for everyone.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:18 PM

13,065 posts, read 18,193,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
If we're going to talk cow dung, I wonder if anyone has thought about proximity to dairy farms!! Kidding. But actually, we live within a few miles of one very popular for their ice cream and I can honestly say we've never smelled it.
We frequent that dairy and whenever we have company that is on the "not to be missed" stops. I actually think it is part of the experience, then again compared to DE, I grew up a city kid, albeit not near the city.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:04 PM

829 posts, read 633,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
We frequent that dairy and whenever we have company that is on the "not to be missed" stops. I actually think it is part of the experience, then again compared to DE, I grew up a city kid, albeit not near the city.
I totally agree and we plan to take their tour whenever it's available - I'm assuming it's not right now - but that ice cream is so good you stop smelling the cows/manure. LOL

Old 04-16-2020, 08:38 PM

13,255 posts, read 33,585,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Well, toobusy....You did the right thing and moved away. You're proof of the pudding....if you don't like a particular place....move. Delaware, an agricultural state, is certainly not for everyone.
Oh, I love farms and I like chickens. We raised two that literally fell off chicken trucks. My cousins have dairy farms. And I totally agree that if you move to the country, you’re going to get country smells. I know when they’re “spreading” on the farms near me.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:50 PM

32,990 posts, read 36,513,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Not roses, but mushroom farm isn't as bad to me as chicken farm.

I've had chronic allergies since I've been my teens and have a diminished sense of smell. I haven't been able to smell skunk for years, but I can still smell chicken farm.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:20 AM

9,745 posts, read 14,305,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I guess I'm the only old Delaware farmer here, from the 1950's. Our broiler chicken farms smelled like money, and our milking cow farms smelled like money. What I didn't like, was the smell of liquid cow manure which was spread on fields in the Spring.....a necessity, but a real stench. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:47 AM

13,065 posts, read 18,193,828 times
Ok to the point of odors. Many people love the smell immediately after a spring/summer rain. Me, I hate it. Since I was a kid it smelled like worms. Now, that said, I never really smelled a worm as I was too afraid of them and despite dissecting them in school, til this day they creep me out. I love to plant flowers in the spring, but I see a worm and I jump back and grab a longer implement.

Edited to add: I spent my entire life approximately 25 miles from NY city in an area like where I am now, very suburban. We had property to maintain. a lawn to mow and gardens to tend. So it is not like I am a city girl, but, I have the utmost respect for people who grow things for me to eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware