Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 482 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am planning to move from NJ to frisco area, never been to Texas before, would like to know how frequently frisco or Dallas sees Tornadoes. I have heard that on an average every 15 days there is one Tornado is that correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 06:28 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
Not correct. Do a little internet research to find out frequency. Having lived in the DFW area since 1978, there have been less than 5 tornados that have actually touched down in my experience. But, oh, the hail we get! Be sure to have a garage and park your vehicles in it.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:04 PM

3 posts, read 482 times
Thank you so much for your response. I got a sigh of relief by your response.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:24 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,488,859 times
Tornados very rare....probably less than hurricanes that hit NJ.
I've seen them, I've seen damage, but probably rare that any one person is affected directly.
Known anyone hit by lightening?
Known anyone eaten by a shark?
Known anyone squeezed by a boa?

Same thing.

Welcome to Texas.....you're going to love it here.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
My friend and her husband transferred down to Dallas. I told her if I can have an EF0 a mile from my house here she could have a tornado in Dallas. I tried to persuade her to buy the house with the storm shelter. Nope. They moved down there during that horrendous freeze and the house they bought the pipes froze so they had to stay in a hotel for a while. Then, not long after that a tornado (and they were hanging on in the bathroom).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornad...%80%9322,_2019

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM

24,558 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Google historic weather records.

Old Yesterday, 07:00 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
I've lived in Dallas since 1964 and have never even seen a tornado.

Keep in mind that in that time there have been something like four actual tornadoes that touched down within the DFW metro area and caused damage. The DFW metro area is about the same size as the state of Connecticut, and a tornado damage path is typically 200-300 yards wide. Even that huge tornado of 2019 (in which there were no deaths and no injuries) had a swath at most 200 yards wide over maybe 10 miles. Compare that to the area of the DFW metro (again, the state of Connecticut), and then consider that the last seriously destructive one before it was 1957.

Tornadoes are spectacular, extremely destructive right in their narrow path, but there aren't that many of them, the path is extremely narrow, and your chance of being personally affected by one is very low. Hurricanes and major earthquakes are far more destructive and dangerous.

Here we see the typical human inability to assess the actual risk of an event which is rare, but extremely dangerous. We tend either to under- or over-estimate the likelihood of such events occurring to us.

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM

For the people dealing with them they are not inconsequential.

Old Yesterday, 07:34 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,679,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
For the people dealing with them they are not inconsequential.
That's an unresponsive comment. For the person who's struck by lightning, or attacked by a rabid opossum, or who collapses with cardiac arrest two days after receiving a "completely healthy" examination, any of those events is major. The OP wants to know, not whether being hit directly by a tornado is a problem (is there anyone who doesn't think so?), but what is HIS chance of being personally affected by a tornado; and the accurate answer is, "your chance in Dallas of being personally affected by a tornado is VERY LOW - lower, for sure, than your chance of being personally affected by a hurricane in Houston or Miami; or your chance of being personally affected by a Mississippi River flood in northeastern Arkansas, or water shortage in Los Angeles."

Old Yesterday, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
That's an unresponsive comment. For the person who's struck by lightning, or attacked by a rabid opossum, or who collapses with cardiac arrest two days after receiving a "completely healthy" examination, any of those events is major. The OP wants to know, not whether being hit directly by a tornado is a problem (is there anyone who doesn't think so?), but what is HIS chance of being personally affected by a tornado; and the accurate answer is, "your chance in Dallas of being personally affected by a tornado is VERY LOW - lower, for sure, than your chance of being personally affected by a hurricane in Houston or Miami; or your chance of being personally affected by a Mississippi River flood in northeastern Arkansas, or water shortage in Los Angeles."

For some people all the tornado warnings are more than enough. You don't have to be hit by one to be unhinged in dealing with it continually. Yes, Houston was worse. I was there nine months and could not get out of there fast enough between the oppressive humidity, to the bugs, but the continual tornado warnings were enough already.

My friend who moved to a high-end suburb of Dallas did not make it a year without having to deal with a tornado barreling in on them. They also dealt with the big freeze and power outages. Fun place. Not.

I will take earthquakes and volcanic eruptions (scheduled hundreds of years apart) versus the regularity of tornado warnings..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: