Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,864,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamoney View Post
I know all this means I can't afford Park Cities because it's more than just the house...spelling it out for anyone who believes buying the $2M house is an all-inclusive pass. It's not, it's just the parking fee.
That's the best explanation I have ever seen. Exactly.

Yes, at HPHS your kids will be looked down on because they don't have the designer purse, or the Porsche in the student parking lot. At Coppell, that won't be the issue. The only thing there might be that half of their classmates are South Asian, and your kid isn't included in their social circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 03:45 PM

786 posts, read 1,222,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Demographically, Coppell is about 50% Indian/South Asian and HP is about 85% white.

Regardless of demographics, HP would be a non-starter for me because of the lack of diversity and I would want my kid to be exposed to more.
I agree. There’s really no other school (public or private) in the area (excluding the weird 3rd tier Christian schools) that is as racially and socioeconomically homogeneous as HPISD. That says a lot in 2024 when you’ll invariably interact with people outside that bubble.

There are always a few posters who try to downplay it or claim they go there and don’t go on extravagant vacations etc, and that might be true, but the demographics are corroborated facts & that type of general wealth does lend itself to that consumption culture because there aren’t many places that are a true nexus for it like HPISD

You can absolutely go there and not do those things, probably still have friends & benefit from the academic opportunities, but the reality is those who do have the resources and background there to keep up with the overall climate have the best overall and best overall social experience and the families who DON’T focus on the all-inclusive cost are 100% in the minority / outliers in the school culture.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:14 PM

303 posts, read 365,107 times
I concur with CMC.

I can assure you that HPISD might be one of the most challenging school districts in the metroplex just because of the sheer complexity of the social environment there. Everything, and I mean everything is on steroids there and everything is a competition to get ahead, have more, and flex. It's just the default nature of the residents there. It's what successful people do. Everything is a comparison. For many families, it is excruciatingly difficult.

Old 04-16-2024, 06:21 AM

792 posts, read 1,221,365 times
Wow. The piling on about HP is actually kind of funny. So here is my perspective...there is some truth to some of the things mentioned in this thread, some hyperbole, and some nonsense.

It's true that it's very expensive to live in HPISD and the cost housing is just the start. It's absolutely fine to live in a single family attached home and I know many dozens of people who do. Kids don't make fun of you for it. That's just silly. The least expensive ones are about $1M and the nice ones cost $1.5-$2.2M. Someone above said single family detached homes are at least $4M and that is just not true AT ALL. A "normal" single family home in the district that is not on a busy street starts at about $2.6-$2.7M. That's the low end, yes, but it's not at all unusual. Yes that's crazy expensive but I'm just clarifying the misinformation from a post above. Of course you can spend much more than that and $4-$5M is not unusual at all.

There are fancy cars in the high school garage but they are the minority. It would be weird not to have a car at all but it definitely doesn't need to be fancy to fit in. Likewise plenty of kids have plenty of designer everything but not everyone. And while I'm sure some people "look down" on kids who don't have the right shoes etc., I actually don't know any of my kids friends who do that nor who have complained about feeling that others do it to them. At least not past middle school. I think that kinds of happens everywhere in middle school...it's just that the "right" shoes/clothes etc. are more expensive here. Ha!

In general people in HP have expensive hobbies and take expensive vacations. That's all true. It doesn't mean they look down on people who don't. I know a wide range of people in the district and they all have plenty of resources but they do not all live wealthy-person lifestyles....beyond the obvious of living in a very high cost area.

It's definitely hard to break in socially if you start in high school UNLESS you are a superstar athlete or a superstar at some other extracurricular at which HP excels (e.g. theater, band). I don't think money plays a huge role in how hard it is to break in socially for most people here. I mean I'm sure it's a factor but the reality is most people seem to have plenty of money but that doesn't seem to make it any easier.

The high school does offer lots of academic and extracurricular opportunities. It is also overcrowded and it's very academically competitive if you want to be at the top of the class. The college outcomes overall are very good, but I wouldn't say there are a disproportionate number going to Top 20 schools. I'm sure that's true at many schools.

I'm sure that all this sounds awful to some. That's fine. I love living here because the neighborhood is beautful, the public services are top notch, my neighbors (enough of them) are super friendly, my kids walk/bike everywhere, it's conveniently located to lots of people and places I care about. I'll bet that's true of many neighborhoods (well maybe not the public services part - I do think HP/UP excels in that area).

Bottom line to OP - I would not move to HPISD with a $1M housing budget. It's likely not enough to be comfortable. I don't know much about Coppell but a lot of people on this site rave about it so I'll be it's a great option. And with your budget, honestly, you could look almost anywhere that works for you. Best of luck on your move!

Old 04-16-2024, 07:15 AM

303 posts, read 365,107 times
Quote:
I'm sure that all this sounds awful to some. That's fine. I love living here because the neighborhood is beautful, the public services are top notch, my neighbors (enough of them) are super friendly, my kids walk/bike everywhere, it's conveniently located to lots of people and places I care about. I'll bet that's true of many neighborhoods (well maybe not the public services part - I do think HP/UP excels in that area).
It's not awful, but it is far different from what most people think even from a sneering distance. I reside on a street in HP that anyone in the metroplex would recognize the name of, and I can tell you straight up that how children live here is so completely off the charts different than the rest of the metroplex that it sometimes baffles the mind. Nannies, tutors, house staff, etc. Remember, it's a bubble. It is very easy to live here for a few years and your new normal sets in. I don't think anyone is piling on, and I'm certainly not, but keep a frame of mind - nothing in the park cities is normal.

The vast majority of PC parents have unlimited resources they can dedicate to their children's education. They are only limited by the sheer amount of bulldozers they can purchase to run in front of their kiddos. The last Mad for Plaid educational foundation fundraiser raised $1.7MM for the district - that is more money than most private schools raise for their annual funds. If you know anything about school finance, you'd know that is an unbelievable amount of money to be raised led solely by parents.

I reside in HP because real estate is a great store of value there, the location is fantastic, and as you pointed out the neighborhoods and services, and walkability - all of that, is fantastic. And make no mistake, I also make no apologies for being a PC resident, nor am I ashamed of my success. I just like to be a little more realistic about the entire place, and I also have the added benefit of already raising my children to send off into the world so I have a little more perspective around education and the "rat race" that many wealthy parents invariably get drawn in\to.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:37 AM

@MenardMQ I agree with almost everything you’ve said and share your perspective. I grew up in a working class family and the amount of money that is “normal” in the park cities blows my mind. (Though as the parent of a HS senior I can say I personally know multiple families who are struggling - a little- with the reality of paying for college). It is a competitive place and best-suited for those who thrive in that environment. Having said that, the people here are not all snobs, which is a lot of the vibe I get from this and other CD posts.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:44 AM

16 posts, read 18,715 times
I think there is also a difference between HP and UP - to me, there are more down to earth people living in UP and while there is still a lot of wealth, its more working people wealth (doctors, lawyers etc) and not old money. I agree though that in current times, 1M just isn't enough to live comfortable at current real estate prices.

High school is super competitive academically - but I am very certain Coppell ISD is no different. Probably more similar than different.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astropath View Post
I think there is also a difference between HP and UP - to me, there are more down to earth people living in UP and while there is still a lot of wealth, its more working people wealth (doctors, lawyers etc) and not old money. I agree though that in current times, 1M just isn't enough to live comfortable at current real estate prices.

High school is super competitive academically - but I am very certain Coppell ISD is no different. Probably more similar than different.
On this point I’m going to disagree. I’ve lived in HP (2 different homes) and UP (3 different homes) and see zero difference in the people.

Old 04-16-2024, 07:52 AM

16 posts, read 18,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
On this point I’m going to disagree. I’ve lived in HP (2 different homes) and UP (3 different homes) and see zero difference in the people.
I haven't lived in HP - and only lived in UP for last 3 years - so I am sure you are right! I totally agree with your posts above!

Old 04-16-2024, 09:57 AM

19 posts, read 13,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTC Mom View Post
@MenardMQ I agree with almost everything you’ve said and share your perspective. I grew up in a working class family and the amount of money that is “normal” in the park cities blows my mind. (Though as the parent of a HS senior I can say I personally know multiple families who are struggling - a little- with the reality of paying for college). It is a competitive place and best-suited for those who thrive in that environment. Having said that, the people here are not all snobs, which is a lot of the vibe I get from this and other CD posts.
OK yes I use hyperbole with "poorest scum." Something to think about Park Cities generally is the buy-in in 2024 is VERY different than the buy-in in 1994, 2004, or even 2014. A mix of inflation, ultra-gentrification, and out-of-state equity has changed what the Kinder class entering 2024 looks like v. the high school graduating class of 2024.

I don't want my kids thinking ultra-wealth is normal. A small case of this is we went from a 2000 sq ft house to a 4000 sq ft house. My kids now want a THREE story house (because their grandmother and cousins separately each have 3 story houses) and think that is it the pinnacle of joy. They have no clue how lucky they are and how unlikely it is that they will ever afford a 4000 sq ft house of their own. Life is downhill from there if you're surrounded by ultra-wealthy and mostly unattainable lifestyles.

As far as denying the snobbiness...Idk, I've heard some pretty icky and casually racist/classist things from PC residents when we're running in the same social circles. Granted, I hear the same from Lakewood and Lake Highlands residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas