Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 02:52 PM

6,821 posts, read 14,063,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I hate to be this type of person, but racism is a major reason why it is the way that it is. I mean, people like to talk about the results and not the causes. They’ve been promising to restore and upgrade Fair Park for decades. Anyone who has live in this city for a while knows that to be the case. I have heard it my entire life. That’s one of the reasons why residents in the surrounding area have a lot of distrust when it comes to anything associated with Fair Park. City leadership and whoever else that are big influencers in Dallas, let Dallas’ biggest cultural asset crumble. There’s nothing in this city that pulls everyone together like Fair Park, hold up, well…maybe Klyde Warren Park, but it doesn’t have the history.

Fair Park could’ve been revitalized to help be a greater economic generator for the area. The architectural history of Fair Park is like none other in the World and the close proximity to downtown is another plus. If the city seriously pushed for revitalization 20+ years ago, South Dallas would probably be a different place right now. The same ole Dallas way of kicking the can down the road is not gonna help Fair Park. It’s like people don’t like it’s current state, but have a problem when they’re trying to kickstart change.

Well Dallas has proven they know how to drop the ball. Remember a proposal was offered to put AT&T at the location of the old Sportatorium. Dallas piddled around while Arlington got it's ducks in row and secured the stadium. The problem with the Cotton Bown is it needs a major tenant to be viable. The Cowboys and Rangers have fairly new stadiums so they are non-factors. The Mavericks may son be in the market but you would have to destroy the stadium to build a basketball arena. I don't see major league soccer making it a permanent home. Even DISD schools do not draw enough fans to support it. Heck the Dallas Morning News don't even cover them other than SOC. Most major concerts are going go with AT&T or Globe Life Field. We seem to take the build it and they will come idea but know one really needs it. San Antonio found this out when the built the Alamodome with the thought they may secure a NFL football team. It set vacant for years until UTSA made it their home stadium. The Cotton Bowl is a luxury not a need.

They are going to sink all the money into and it still is going to be used 2 or 3 times a year. It needs a permanent resident for this move to be viable. I just don't see how it is needed and I am a fan of the Cotton Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 02:56 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,324,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake575 View Post
the new years day NHL Winter Classic
I was wondering if this would ever get a mention. If it ever comes back to the area, it's more likely to go to the Cotton Bowl than AT&T. It was probably one of my two best in-person sports experiences. From a setting standpoint, the Cotton Bowl was fantastic. There were drawbacks: the seats are pretty worn out and uncomfortable, the concessions and concourses are a mess (one of our group spent a whole period of the game in line for food and water for us, poor planning on our part, we should have stopped for food instead of spending 2 hours drinking beer in the parking lot or taken advantage of the food in the park outside the stadium). Hoping the upgrades address some of that.

Old 04-01-2024, 02:25 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,979,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
Well Dallas has proven they know how to drop the ball. Remember a proposal was offered to put AT&T at the location of the old Sportatorium. Dallas piddled around while Arlington got it's ducks in row and secured the stadium. The problem with the Cotton Bown is it needs a major tenant to be viable. The Cowboys and Rangers have fairly new stadiums so they are non-factors. The Mavericks may son be in the market but you would have to destroy the stadium to build a basketball arena. I don't see major league soccer making it a permanent home. Even DISD schools do not draw enough fans to support it. Heck the Dallas Morning News don't even cover them other than SOC. Most major concerts are going go with AT&T or Globe Life Field. We seem to take the build it and they will come idea but know one really needs it. San Antonio found this out when the built the Alamodome with the thought they may secure a NFL football team. It set vacant for years until UTSA made it their home stadium. The Cotton Bowl is a luxury not a need.

They are going to sink all the money into and it still is going to be used 2 or 3 times a year. It needs a permanent resident for this move to be viable. I just don't see how it is needed and I am a fan of the Cotton Bowl.
We'll see. We don't know anything for certain. I agree, Dallas did drop the ball many, many times. Also, that's all based on a stadium that has never received any significant upgrades. They've been complaining about the size of concourses since the late 60s, when the Dallas Cowboys use to play there. I will hold my opinion until the renovations are done. Since the Cotton Bowl sold out multiple concerts in its decrepit state, there's no telling its potential, if they put a little more TLC into it. That's all I am saying. Fair Park will not be successful until those historic venues start creating more revenue to help fix up the park. It's one thing to have the surrounding neighborhood in a declined state, but it's also even worse when city owned property, that's suppose to create some type of economic growth within the area is in disrepair as well. Gonna be honest, trying to bring jobs there isn't gonna fix South Dallas. They simply don't have the ability to draw that level of investment as of yet. But a revitalized Fair Park can draw investment within a community and create jobs. Since, it will be seen as a major asset. Fix Fair Park and it will have a ripple effect across South Dallas.

But ground has been broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38HRejdLu0&t=6s

Last edited by Dallaz; 04-01-2024 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-01-2024, 03:09 PM

5,268 posts, read 6,423,901 times
Per a cryptic tweet from Dallas City Council member Adam Balduza, supposedly they are trying to get a full time tenant, and a women's soccer team is the current best guess.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:39 PM

6,821 posts, read 14,063,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
We'll see. We don't know anything for certain. I agree, Dallas did drop the ball many, many times. Also, that's all based on a stadium that has never received any significant upgrades. They've been complaining about the size of concourses since the late 60s, when the Dallas Cowboys use to play there. I will hold my opinion until the renovations are done. Since the Cotton Bowl sold out multiple concerts in its decrepit state, there's no telling its potential, if they put a little more TLC into it. That's all I am saying. Fair Park will not be successful until those historic venues start creating more revenue to help fix up the park. It's one thing to have the surrounding neighborhood in a declined state, but it's also even worse when city owned property, that's suppose to create some type of economic growth within the area is in disrepair as well. Gonna be honest, trying to bring jobs there isn't gonna fix South Dallas. They simply don't have the ability to draw that level of investment as of yet. But a revitalized Fair Park can draw investment within a community and create jobs. Since, it will be seen as a major asset. Fix Fair Park and it will have a ripple effect across South Dallas.

But ground has been broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38HRejdLu0&t=6s

Don't get me wrong because I love Fair Park. I really hope a renovated Cotton Bowl can prove to be successful. Like you stated they can't tear it down and it is of little use as it stands now. They need for a collage or pro team to call it home to make it worth the investment. SMU moving to ACC is the only team I see that can pull it off. A pro womens soccer team is not going to draw enough fans. With Jerryworld looming in the background I can't see how any investment is going to payoff. I really do hope I am wrong and I will be more than happy to eat crow.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:10 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,760,350 times
I think this has to be one of the funnier threads I've read.

The Cotton Bowl has many events each year. Including football games that aren't just "inner city" teams, soccer games (hello Messi!), races, concerts (Coldplay and Rolling Stones anyone?) - heck there was even hockey played there at the NHL Winter Classic.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbb303 View Post
I was wondering if this would ever get a mention. If it ever comes back to the area, it's more likely to go to the Cotton Bowl than AT&T. It was probably one of my two best in-person sports experiences. From a setting standpoint, the Cotton Bowl was fantastic. There were drawbacks: the seats are pretty worn out and uncomfortable, the concessions and concourses are a mess (one of our group spent a whole period of the game in line for food and water for us, poor planning on our part, we should have stopped for food instead of spending 2 hours drinking beer in the parking lot or taken advantage of the food in the park outside the stadium). Hoping the upgrades address some of that.
It was the 2nd most attended game in NHL history and that was being sold out. I'd love for it to come back.

Old 04-03-2024, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
With Jerryworld looming in the background I can't see how any investment is going to payoff. I really do hope I am wrong and I will be more than happy to eat crow.
Anything that makes Jerry crazy he doesn't have it is a win in my book

Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,979,261 times
Team name unveiled: Dallas Trinity FC to call Cotton Bowl Stadium home | NBC DFW

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s1RVYKUlB1A

Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM

2,283 posts, read 4,074,147 times
I'm way out of the loop on this one but it sure seems like it could have been smarter in 2008 to spend the money to upgrade and reduce the capacity rather than making a dramatic expansion. I'll be glad to admit that I'm missing something but I guess Texas-OU was the issue??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas