Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2023, 01:02 PM

7 posts, read 3,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_FTW View Post
Learn to pick your degrees and most won't have any issues you mentioned above. Degrees with license over fluffy liberal arts classes just to kill time and get a degree to satisfy some sort of checkbox requirement on an application.

I don't see any problems with nurses, engineers, accountants, electricians, plumbers or physician assistants.

You're wasting a ton of timing trying to trash higher education because of the choices you made.

Folks need to continue to focus on skilled trades or jobs in demand.

It took me 10 seconds to Google top 10 jobs in demand or high paying jobs in demand.

You should do that next time you plan to make life altering decisions.
Engineering wasn't really an option where I started out, but eventually physical/materials science (and engineering) seemed solid enough. Would say what I originally said about the culture held there as well, though. It expected conformity and subservience, and if not satisfied on those points, was quite prepared to penalize and/or eject you. "Scientists who lie" was a tough pill to swallow. Still, even without the great academic experience and job prospects, don't think I would trade the learning and research I did. (And was fortunate not to end up financially on the hook for.) Just didn't pan out in all aspects.

Though, just the fact of those institutions' providing various helium* majors (as a mainstay) at outrageous expense (when there is no hope of r.o.e.) is proof enough of their corruption.

*vacuous subject matter, grossly inflated performance evaluations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2023, 03:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,094,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_FTW View Post
Last I checked, my bank doesn’t accept the word of God as a mortgage payment.

Nope, they won’t even accept it as down payment.

Looks like I will need actual money to pay my mortgage.

Why wouldn’t I focus on making the most money per hour if I have to earn money to pay for my life.

Should I focus on minimum wage jobs or focus on highly paid jobs for every hour that I trade my time for cash??

Money talks, bull **** walks .

The banks all agree.

Listed for 24 hours with 4,400 views

Probably 60-75 people were there.

100% expect a bidding war.

https://redf.in/yxl9B6

Open house today is the same as 2022. Enjoy the higher rates and the continued competition.

Realtor.com estimates that the payments are about $4,402 per month. That would require a MINIMUM income of $211,296 per year to afford this (following the rule of no more than 25% of your gross going to mortgage, home insurance, etc.).

Median household income in Allen, TX is $118,254. So people are either making a financial mistake buying this house, or everyone in that photo is in the top 5th percentile of income earners in Texas (apparently for the whole state of Texas, the 95th percentile of a household income is about $210k).

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlee View Post
Imo, the church is nothing, but satisfying work is everything. Money is just numbers in some abstract holder somewhere. Getting something out the door that provides a real value / solves a real problem, gives real satisfaction. Its sad how much people chase after money these days. Mis-spent investment in religion doesn't begin to approach that.
For both of you, I'm sorry you feel that way. The things of this earth will pass away. I would be a lot more concerned about where I spend eternity after this short life.

To address the first post, that house is relatively new. I have a strong suspicion buyers are ONLY interested in new or near new housing. My neighborhood in Stonebridge Ranch isn't getting any offers above list. In fact, prices are still dropping and sitting on the market forever. A nearly 4000 square foot house fully renovated on a good size lot can barely get half a million. There is plenty of inventory of old houses on the market, but no one wants them. All buyers care about is the build year.

These buyers will be sorely disappointed in another 20 years when their neighborhoods go to pot and start declining. As I said, the things of this world will all fade away.

Old 02-27-2023, 02:04 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,663,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard123 View Post
To address the first post, that house is relatively new. I have a strong suspicion buyers are ONLY interested in new or near new housing. My neighborhood in Stonebridge Ranch isn't getting any offers above list. In fact, prices are still dropping and sitting on the market forever. A nearly 4000 square foot house fully renovated on a good size lot can barely get half a million. There is plenty of inventory of old houses on the market, but no one wants them. All buyers care about is the build year.
I have been looking at pre existing homes in Mckinney. I would have no problem with older homes. EXCEPT. The majority of the ones I have looked at online(and its been a bunch over the last 2 months) are not updated at all. I don't want to buy a home that I'm going to immediately have to drop 50k to redo the kitchen and bathrooms(not to mention ACs and windows). The few older ones that are updated are selling pretty fast if they are priced well. I tried to put an offer on 2 and lost out.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:56 AM

278 posts, read 217,577 times
That’s no McMansion. Its a glorified town-home/apartment.

Old 03-01-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestrong View Post
I have been looking at pre existing homes in Mckinney. I would have no problem with older homes. EXCEPT. The majority of the ones I have looked at online(and its been a bunch over the last 2 months) are not updated at all. I don't want to buy a home that I'm going to immediately have to drop 50k to redo the kitchen and bathrooms(not to mention ACs and windows). The few older ones that are updated are selling pretty fast if they are priced well. I tried to put an offer on 2 and lost out.

That's very understandable! However, for some reason, real estate agents around here discourage people from significant remodeling, often telling them they'll never get their money back. What often gets me are the postings with bad photos. I'll never understand why sellers who can't take good photos aren't using reputable real estate agents who live near and know the neighborhood. Some photos seem to be taken in near blackness, and others use these camera lenses that squash down and stretch the house out like silly putty.

Old 03-01-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post
That's the "in" style now for floor plans and layouts. All the higher end builders are building houses like that, only the newer ones are even narrower. This neighborhood looks like Pulte and Meritage, not what I would call high end. How times have changed!

I'd be turned off with the proximity (750 ft) to 75, commercial development, and all the big utility poles across the street. You're practically staring right at the back of a Walmart supercenter.

One thing these buyers with money have shown is that they are not turned off by loud or irritating noise or unsightly surroundings.

Old Today, 08:10 AM

1 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlee View Post
Engineering wasn't really an option where I started out, but eventually physical/materials science (and engineering) seemed solid enough. Would say what I originally said about the culture held there as well, though. It expected conformity and subservience, and if not satisfied on those points, was quite prepared to penalize and/or eject you. "Scientists who lie" was a tough pill to swallow. Still, even without the great academic experience and job prospects, don't think I would trade the learning and research I did. (And was fortunate not to end up financially on the hook for.) Just didn't pan out in all aspects.

Though, just the fact of those institutions' providing various helium* majors (as a mainstay) at outrageous expense (when there is no hope of r.o.e.) is proof enough of their corruption.

*vacuous subject matter, grossly inflated performance evaluations
Starting out, I didn't have engineering on my radar, but I eventually found my way into physical/materials science, which seemed like a solid fit. Unfortunately, the culture there demanded conformity and subservience, and if you didn't comply, you faced penalties or even expulsion. Dealing with dishonesty among scientists was especially disheartening. Despite not having the best academic or job prospects, I wouldn't trade the learning and research experiences for anything. Plus, I'm grateful I didn't end up in financial trouble. It just didn't work out perfectly in every aspect

Old Today, 09:04 AM

12,862 posts, read 9,608,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenro911 View Post
That’s a mansion in a lot of parts of the country
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas