Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 06:53 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,099,201 times

Advertisements

Back in college, I once worked as a mechanic at a bike shop. Most of the parts were obtained while I was at the shop; some free, some bought off customers used, some parts from a bin at the shop, some I bought once I had a bit more cash. It started out as mildly used frame with a front derailleur hanging off of it. It was a 95 frame and most of the parts are from the same time period.

Today, it is still my one and only mountain bike. While I'm no longer an avid rider, I still go on bike rides with my kids every couple weeks or so. Feels like an pair of well broken in leather boots.. familiar... comfortable. IIRC, the only parts replaced post 90s are the twisty shifters (Sachs ones failed over time) and the bumpers in the Halson fork (I gained weight... lol). No longer use the Shimano clipless pedals but I still have them. Its a Frankenstein of parts but holding up to the test of time.

For a short period of time, I joined a group of road bicyclists. I ended up with a 97 R200 Cannondale. I had a bit more money at that time... purchased new.. all with original parts. I still have it but it doesn't get ridden near as much as my mountain bike.

Just wondering if anyone still primarily enjoys an old bike and have no real reason to get rid of it...

Last edited by usayit; 07-14-2022 at 07:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 10:18 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,286,950 times
Not that old but I ride a 2004 Stumpjumper every single day. My road bike is a similar vintage Trek 1200. I also have a 98 Trek 950 that gets ridden now and then.

Old 07-25-2022, 01:59 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
I still have and ride my first quality bike, a 1993 Mongoose Rockadile (before Mongoose became a department store brand). Almost none of the parts are original, not due to failure but from being transferred to various other bikes over the years, now lost to time. My "new" bike is a custom inspired by vintage French randonneur bikes from the mid century, but with some modern conveniences, like 8 speed indexed shifting (still on the downtube, though). I love bikes in general, but don't have much passion for modern bikes (by modern, I mean anything beyond, say, the early to mid 90s or so).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Cycling