Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 01:08 AM

2 posts, read 4,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
It depends on the original aspect ratio of the show or film. If it is TV, then it will fit the screen properly (or you can see if you have a zoom or aspect ratio function on your TV to change it). If it is film, then you are seeing the film in the exact size and proportion it was filmed in and shown in the theater. Many films are greater than 2:1 wide, while a widescreen TV is 16:9 wide, so it's only 1.77:1 wide. So the film will have top and bottom blank spaces.
I do zoom the picture, but unfortunately I also loose some clarity which kinda defeats the purpose of the hi-def thing. I just wonder why Hollywood thinks less is better. But it does help the TV manufactures, gotta buy a bigger more expensive set to get a decent size picture on some shows and movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,824 times
I was beginning to think I was the only one too. Every one I've ever watched is badly distorted.
And HD?? That is awful. It's artificially smoothed over and there is no detail in the picture. It looks smeared.
Craig's list has a nice supply of "regular" TVs now because many people "upgraded" this Christmas. I'm going to buy some and use them for the foreseeable future.
Maybe some year they will come up with something better. Right now, I think the public is being sold a load of bull wacky.

Last edited by vtpeacenik; 12-31-2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-31-2012, 08:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times
If I had the money I still wouldn't buy one. Just too overwhelming. Besides, they are bigger than my apartment.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:22 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpeacenik View Post
I was beginning to think I was the only one too. Every one I've ever watched is badly distorted.
And HD?? That is awful. It's artificially smoothed over and there is no detail in the picture. It looks smeared.
Craig's list has a nice supply of "regular" TVs now because many people "upgraded" this Christmas. I'm going to buy some and use them for the foreseeable future.
Maybe some year they will come up with something better. Right now, I think the public is being sold a load of bull wacky.
If that is your opinion of HD tv then you have never seen it with a good source. "Smoothed over and smeared"? That isnt even true. You can see the pores in people's faces these days.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,746,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtpeacenik View Post
You have your TV set up wrong.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,486,336 times
Before anyone gets too bent out of shape please remember that this is a very old thread that has been resurrected.

Irishtom, you may be onto something! My Mom recently told me that her HDTV was no better than her old one. I go over to her house and discover that she isn't springing for HD cable. I explain to her that she will need to get the HD package and she tells me that she paid enough for the TV and they weren't going to get her for the cable too "coming and going".

Old 01-01-2013, 10:52 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
If that is your opinion of HD tv then you have never seen it with a good source. "Smoothed over and smeared"? That isnt even true. You can see the pores in people's faces these days.
Such a good point. I'm on my second flat panel @ 42" and wouldn't have it any other way. The only problem I have with high def is much like the 'pores in faces'. I can see dirt under the actor's finger nails. And when they flash those big pearlies, I can tell if they are original teeth or caps.

The part I like most is in a football game you can actually see the football spiraling in a well thrown pass.

Here's a great link I got from another thread in this forum...

http://ideas.4brad.com/how-stop-peop...s-stretch-mode

Last edited by Willsson; 01-01-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
If I had the money I still wouldn't buy one. Just too overwhelming. Besides, they are bigger than my apartment.
How is a TV overwhelming? And you do realize there are different sizes? Ranging from some small 17 inch to monster 55 inches, and everything in between.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Move on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
to monster 55 inches
Bigger Amazon.com: Sharp AQUOS 80" Class 120Hz 1080p LED-LCD HDTV with WiFi: Electronics is better
And even bigger Amazon.com: Sharp LC-90LE745U 90-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Internet Slim LED HDTV: Electronics

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
Most widescreen TV sets (which account for about 100% of the TV sets produced in the last 5 years) are not used properly, at least if my experience is valid. They are still mostly fed standard-definition content, which is 4:3 in aspect ratio yet stretched out or zoomed in, producing an awful effect. However, about 90% of people are perfectly content watching TV that is well below their equipment's capability. They like the sleek look of it.

My last two workplaces have had them, and they are/were fed standard definition programming because the propietors were too cheap to spring for proper HD cable and satellite packages. It certainly doesn't help that cable and satellite providers still treat "HDTV" as something special (as if it was 2004) even though more than two-thirds of Americans now own sets capable of the resolution, and that people in general are clueless as to setting up TVs or using an antenna to at least pull in the big networks in HD to supplement their craptastic basic cable package.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics