Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 09:34 AM

46 posts, read 30,482 times

Advertisements

Im writing for the Bridgeport history center on Mexicans and the history of Mexicans in Bridgeport.

I’m almost about done and the first article is up.
https://bportlibrary.org/hc/hispanic...geport-part-1/

My issue was finding any mention of any Mexicans working in Bridgeport during the 1970s and early 80s

Most men working here without papers appear to have been central and South Americans. Ofc we had the over 20,000 Puerto Ricans and big population of Cubans. Anyone can recall when people from Mexico (yes, Mexico, not all of Latin America) began to appear in Bridgeport? Or when anyone first encountered them?

I’m told that in Remington a Mexican dude worked late 70s. Not sure what state in Mexico he was from. Any info would be appreciated!

Bridgeport is today about 6% Mexican, Puerto Ricans are less than half of all Latinos in the city now and Mexicans are second in the city but closely followed by Dominicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:30 PM

35,053 posts, read 57,143,115 times
I never really associated Bridgeport with having a large Mexican population. Puerto Ricans, yes but not Mexican.

A part of my family were among the first Spanish families (from Spain) in Bridgeport, coming there in 1925. According to them there were only a handful of Spanish in the city at that time and they mostly settled in the West End, mainly in Hunktown. The families formed a Spanish Club to socialize. It did not have a building or hall, they were too small of a group but they would rent spaces for functions or just go places (picnics, beaches, amusement parks, dances, etc.) as a group.

A branch of our family from Mexico but they never lived and worked here.Back in the late 60’s/early 70’s a family member worked for Warner’s in Bridgeport. When they had to start reporting employee nationalities, she was listed as the only Hispanic in their corporate division. She said that there weren’t a lot of Hispanics working for the company in the state. Not long after the company opened factories in Puerto Rico.

My point is that my family members would have noted if there were many Mexicans in Bridgeport. Good luck in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut