Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:07 PM

34,072 posts, read 17,102,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So true. Thurman’s case changed domestic violence laws nationwide (mandatory arrest for physical domestic violence incidents). The police no longer have discretion, so that was a big step.

It’s tough, because you don’t want to violate people’s rights, but at the same time, courts and the police want to make sure the person claiming to be a victim is safe. There is a fine line. And I will say, a LOT of domestic violence claims turn out to be false (especially involving child custody issues, where each parent is trying to stack police reports against the other one to present to the judge). Unfortunately, there is a percentage of those complaints that are valid. This is one of them, sadly.
I would favor laws jailing cops who act as Torrington did towards Tracey Thurmond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 PM

21,631 posts, read 31,237,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I would favor laws jailing cops who act as Torrington did towards Tracey Thurmond.
Eh, that’s a bit much. You have to remember, the police are just a product of our society. Back in the 1980s, domestic violence was barely a thing as it is today. Society and police essentially told women (who were and still are the majority of victims) to know their place. They didn’t break any laws or go against any policy. The police can only enforce what’s on the books, and in most cases with that, they have discretion (except in domestic violence cases today).

Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,089,405 times
Yes I’ve been following the story too, just terrible. This seems to be happening every day. It also appears that finances and lifestyle have little to do with it as all socioeconomic groups are involved.

This guys girlfriend looks like she could bite a nail in half. Complete opposite of his educated lovely looking wife.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
If he can afford it why then did he not make bail? His girlfriend did but her parents posted it. Jay
I’m wondering if his bank accounts are on hold either at the direction of the courts or his attorney. Like I said, I’m sure his attorney is trying to work something behind the scenes. The guy is worth a pretty penny.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:17 PM

34,952 posts, read 57,005,315 times
Quote:
I’m wondering if his bank accounts are on hold either at the direction of the courts or his attorney. Like I said, I’m sure his attorney is trying to work something behind the scenes. The guy is worth a pretty penny.
That could be. But was their money his or just hers? He borrowed $1 million from her mother. My parents had friends whose family were big home builders in Fairfield in the 1950’s and 60’s. They were very well off but the kids blew it all and by the 80’s lost most of it. Was not hard when you lived over your means. I am sure it will all come out. Jay

Old 06-03-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That could be. But was their money his or just hers? He borrowed $1 million from her mother. My parents had friends whose family were big home builders in Fairfield in the 1950’s and 60’s. They were very well off but the kids blew it all and by the 80’s lost most of it. Was not hard when you lived over your means. I am sure it will all come out. Jay
I believe part of the issue was he owed her $2.5 million, on top of the nasty custody battle. Also, his girlfriend was a high roller herself; basically a socialite with celebrities. It will definitely come out.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:01 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,632,595 times
The evidence backing the arrest warrants (per NH Register) indicates they tried to “clean up blood splatter from the garage of Jennifer Dulos’ Welles Lane home and ditch blood-stained materials in 30 trash bins in Hartford later that night.” So I don’t think there is much hope of finding the victim alive, sadly.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:02 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,028,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Again, a plug for the Daily Mail. They're giving more pics, and more coverage, of this case than any of the national or regional news organizations. Some may call them sensationalist, but I've found in following them over the years that they break the stories and details first, that the US networks report on later.
This is not new nor unique. Daily Fail along with some other overseas news media for years have given far more in depth coverage than what can be found in United States. Pick any recent crime/news event and then look at coverage by Daily Mail, BBC, the Guardian and others compared to US media. It often is like night and day.

Same thing happened with Iraq War 2; if you read foreign news coverage versus much if not all from America you'd think there was two different wars being fought.

In theory all western European nations like the USA have freedom of the press laws/protections. But there must be something more overseas that gives media the ability (backs covered?) to provide sometimes deeper coverage than US outlets.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:07 AM

31,927 posts, read 27,028,526 times
As someone said this is happening *still* far to often.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...sg4-story.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...n2y-story.html

Susan Cox Powell has never been found: https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...two-young-sons

Old 06-04-2019, 06:47 AM

717 posts, read 453,704 times
Quote:
I believe part of the issue was he owed her $2.5 million, on top of the nasty custody battle. Also, his girlfriend was a high roller herself; basically a socialite with celebrities. It will definitely come out.
And then he will hitch the first Uber ride to a random metro north station to jump the first train to pay the ticket on the train to grand central, then Uber to jfk and off to Greece
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut