Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 01:43 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

How does a hacker lock my win 11 computer? This happened a couple of weeks ago. I was watching a TikToc video and the screen froze and a fake Microsoft notice popped up with a warning that my computer had been infected with a ransomware virus.

It had a phone # that I should call immediately. The person I talked to said that to get rid of the virus I should follow his instructions and he tried to get me to load a program called Teamviewer. I did not load it, but was unsure if he had accessed my computer and stolen my identity, debit card or credit card info. (I do my banking and shopping online) I blocked those as soon as I could, and as far as I know nothing was accessed, but it was a huge pain in the ass getting new cards.

I've since discovered that these fake Microsoft/Teamviewer scams are common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 01:47 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
If you didn't let them remote in, then I believe you are OK.

Windows or more so, Windows Defender can display messages about a detection but it will NEVER show a message asking the user to call Microsoft. That was basically an ad like pop-up trying to fool people into calling the number. Once the victim actually gives them the info they need plus allows them to remote into their machine, that is when they actually run background scripts to load remote control tools. They pretend to clean up the virus and ask for money. If you don't pay, they remote control tool they placed either monitors and steals info or activated their adware type superficial malware to get you to call them and pay them to remove it.

Second part is how such a message even appeared in the first place. Either there is already something on your system or, at the very least, the browser you are using need a proper ad blocker type extension like uBlock Origin.

If you are using Norton or McAfee, I'd urge you to get rid of it. If using just Windows Defender then it is not that good either.

Download ADWCleaner (free standalone scanner from MalwareBytes) to see if it found anything. If it did, then either get a proper AV app like Kaspersky or BitDefender (paid programs) or if you are on a budget, then go for Avast or AVG.

At the very least, download and run the free ESET Online Scanner which also does a pretty good job.

Old 03-26-2023, 10:13 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How does a hacker lock my win 11 computer? This happened a couple of weeks ago. I was watching a TikToc video and the screen froze and a fake Microsoft notice popped up with a warning that my computer had been infected with a ransomware virus.

It had a phone # that I should call immediately. The person I talked to said that to get rid of the virus I should follow his instructions and he tried to get me to load a program called Teamviewer. I did not load it, but was unsure if he had accessed my computer and stolen my identity, debit card or credit card info. (I do my banking and shopping online) I blocked those as soon as I could, and as far as I know nothing was accessed, but it was a huge pain in the ass getting new cards.

It's fake. It didn't really lock your computer. It's a web page made up to scare you, it's full screen and gives you no apparent way to close it. Many people fall for it, don't be one of those and don't call the scammers, that is the last thing you should do. It's irritating is what it is. Not much we can do about it except educate yourself.

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del, run task manager, highlight your browser under applications, click end task. That will close it. When you open your browser again make sure to NOT restore session.

NEVER give a stranger access to your computer via teamviewer or any other way. Also a bit of advice, don't store any personal information that can be used to harm you on your computer and that would include the obvious, debit or CC numbers.

Old 03-26-2023, 04:16 PM

21,867 posts, read 25,161,984 times
Quote:

Generally because you go on a website and install stuff that displays those screens.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Generally because you go on a website and install stuff that displays those screens.
No, it just popped up. I finally shut down my laptop by disconnecting my wifi.

This is similar to what popped up. https://www.pcrisk.com/images/storie...r-homepage.jpg

Old 03-26-2023, 10:53 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,788,390 times
Used to happen to me a lot and still does. Usually closing the browser fixes the problem. Once in a while they really locked me out of my computer. A restart didn't help.

Old 03-27-2023, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Used to happen to me a lot and still does. Usually closing the browser fixes the problem. Once in a while they really locked me out of my computer. A restart didn't help.
No way I could close the browser, or even shut down.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:25 AM

8,324 posts, read 13,457,139 times
Quote:
No way I could close the browser, or even shut down.
I think "they" were merely targeting fearless Canadians!
Next time, CTRL + ALT + DEL then try to shutdown to see if it still doesn't work.

Curious, did you initiate this thread to get help or just to share this not-so-unique experience because you seemed to have ignored the suggestions I made?

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-27-2023 at 10:38 AM..

Old 03-27-2023, 10:28 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,480,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Next time, CTRL + ALT + DEL then try to shutdown to see if it still doesn't work.

Curious, did you initiate this thread to get help or just to share this not-so-unique experience because you seemed to ignore the suggestions made?
Thanks. I did actually give the way to close the browser in my previous post (see above) but I hate to repeat myself, even in person, lol.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Curious, did you initiate this thread to get help or just to share this not-so-unique experience because you seemed to have ignored the suggestions I made?
No, I shared to make others aware of this particular scam. https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guide...h-support-scam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers