Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:19 PM

642 posts, read 2,551,606 times

Advertisements

I live now in a subdivision built by a California company. The lots are tiny, you really have to watch closely while they build to make sure dumb mistakes that stand out arent left because everything is put up so fast. They told me they come up, build, go home, vacation and start over again with the next big job. They also claimed many different things as far as what would or would not be built up around us, always a lie. They dont care, they are going home. Another thing to think about is people tend in the beginning to put in a nice yard, fence, add upgrades and sell quickly for a profit (maybe rent out)
In a new place with house price range like this(which is very nice and affordable) you get new families. For an older child that is harder. The teens dont have as many people to choose from although it doesnt see like boredom would be a problem there. I have to say, the walkable community is a dream come true for me and Im disappointed to hear negative things about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 10:08 AM

32 posts, read 89,417 times
FYI,

Banning Lewis just announced some info on the 3 guest builders: Capital Pacific, John Laing, and Classic. No details just yet.

http://banninglewisranch.com/the-homes/northtree-village/ (broken link)

And yes, to concur with poster coltoncity, developers can "promise" all sorts of upcoming ammenities, but the purchase contracts for the homes always release them from any guarantees. I experienced this firsthand with Richmond promising a "pocket park" on a lot adjacent to a home I had a contract on. Luckily, I backed out and this "park" eventually became an ugly drainage pond complete with huge congrete inflow/outflow pipes. BTW, this upcoming open space was also one of the reasons the lot had a higher lot premium.

Lesson learned: tread with caution on any developer/builder claims.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,138 times
Default BanningLewis Ranch

Has anyone heard what they are going to do with the original ranch house off of 24? I have visited it once and it is amazing peice of Colorado history. It would be ashame for it to be lost.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 48,713 times
I agree,
Futhermore, the water is disappearing because of corrupt developer/politicians on the water boards.
This place is drying up fast.

Old 07-09-2007, 10:50 PM

Cover story today in the Gazette on BLR:

Top Stories: <font color='FF0000'>NEW!</font> Home construction at Banning Lewis Ranch moves forward | ranch, banning, lewis - Gazette.com

C:hris

Old 07-10-2007, 09:52 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
RoastedBeans, thanks for posting the link....saw the story the other day. I accept as a fact of life that land near cities will be developed. People have lumped themselves together since caveman days for security, efficiency, etc.

Interesting claim that Rec Centers and other amenities will be the first things done, so when the first people move in, these will be there. Sounds a bit like Highlands Ranch, multiple villages, each with its own rec center. Okay by me.

I recognize Classic and John Laing as two builders of quality homes here in town. Classic is a big player at Flying Horse, a ritzy area of new homes up near the USAF Academy, with an incredible gym & clubhouse plus a Tom Weiskopt golf course. Laing builds very good homes, seen them in VA and here in Wolf Ranch on Powers, almost bought one.

Capital Pacific is the owner of the land and a large builder in California. Maybe someone on here knows their reputation? They must have fairly deep pockets if they're putting in the amenities first, which I'm all in favor of.

Still, I don't see any emphasis on retirees, for all the good reasons stated in my posting earlier in this thread.

Curious is that with 6500+ properties now on the market here, is this project heading for trouble? If realtors can't move the houses now listed, will the banks end up eating this project? I saw such a situation on a small scale back in VA in 1975-77 downtown, when an entire subdivision of spec homes in our small town ended up in a bank-run fire sale.

s/Mike

Old 07-19-2007, 08:46 PM
RSO

4 posts, read 20,955 times
Default Banning Lewis Ranch

I will have to agree with Muriel regarding Banning Lewis Ranch. The city already complains there is a shortage of water for the current residents, so why are they allowing these developers to destroy this old ranch site? For one, the current owners of Banning Lewis Ranch have been paying big money to Colorado Springs to develop this property. Currently Colorado Springs has one of the highest foreclosures in the country and there are thousands of homes sitting empty because of this. Who do they think is going to buy all these homes?
This is the typical thing that developers do to make a profit, of which I hope they go belly-up. If anyone has been to California, this is what Colorado is going to end up like. Lets remember these people from California of which were never native to California have made their money there and are now like locust going to other states and destroying the way of life. Good examples are, Seattle, Portland, Las Vegas the list can go on and on about what those states are becoming.
The hell with the animals as long as they can make a fortune off others and the people buying these homes will complain daily about the animals that are on the roads. They're on the road because of those people allowing developers to destroy a once beautiful city.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSO View Post
If anyone has been to California, this is what Colorado is going to end up like. Lets remember these people from California of which were never native to California have made their money there and are now like locust going to other states and destroying the way of life.
Though I would affirm your postulation that COS is now what a metropolis CA was becoming in the mid-60's, let's remember this is America with freedom to relocate as citizens across our great land. I get so wearisome of Native-moans for the way it used to be. Regardless of where you live, if any "native" looks back 30-50 years on their old familiars, they will most likely see dramatic societal, economic, and perhaps environmental changes that bring down the heart of the sentimentalist. And yes, include me in that camp as well.

I do take offense to being labeled akin to locust, however. I'm sure many of my CA compatriots would agree. I don't quite get your comment about "these people from California of which were never native to California..." (here we go on the Native-As-god principle). Native or not, consider that the quality of life has become prohibitively expensive, population density has reached a near boiling point, and other native and non-native (depending on how you view California history from Spanish to Mexico rule through the Mexican-American war) peoples have immigrated to CA and many are choosing similar weather and outdoor recreation and now emigrating to new opportunities that Colorado affords.

At least there seems to be some thought into the layout and amenities that Banning Lewis wants to provide. That can't be said of most of this Tinkertoy'd city for certain. Water availability does concern me for long-term sustainability.

In Costner's film, "if you build it, they will come". So true....and with it new Super Targets, Costco's, SOTA traffic lights, community parks, and Wal Marts--but I'll leave that for another thread somewhere.

c:hris

Old 07-20-2007, 10:23 PM

25 posts, read 80,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious in CT View Post
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about the new Banning Lewis Ranch development in CS? I heard it's going to be huge. How is the construction going. Are the views and landscape of this area nice? If we were to move to this area, would airplanes landing from overhead be an annoyance? Any info on this would be appreciated.
I can get you pictures..I think the construction has slowed down...

Old 09-30-2007, 11:12 PM

Banning Lewis is now open:

Headlines: 2,000 get a glimpse of 20 Banning Lewis houses | colorado, homes, springs - Gazette.com

c:hris
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs