Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 02:21 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

Do you feel passionate about anything?

Old 01-11-2024, 03:30 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Which is more suitable for what, lol? What’s your end goal, other than discussing the subjects in a thread; you appear to be putting the cart before the horse, so-to-speak, in terms of relevance or applicability.
I asked him that, and his answer (post#10) was

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
I guess my endgame is I want to be a world leading expert of these professions.
As if that will happen with a single PhD, what with the three being so disparate!
And he isn't even IN one of those fields...

Old 01-11-2024, 03:52 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Quote:
I guess my endgame is I want to be a world leading expert of these professions.
Quote:
As if that will happen with a single PhD, what with the three being so disparate!
Thanks, lol. I noticed he/she used the word profession interchangeably with a course of study/subject; he/she might want to understand the distinction prior to embarking on a path to becoming a professional in any single field (yet alone all of them, heh).

Old 01-11-2024, 04:00 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,033,724 times
What is it you really want to do? You don't want to do those jobs, but it almost sounds like you want to write papers/books about the people who do those jobs. Perhaps some branch of psychology like industrial psychology that studies why people work in the careers they are in??

Old 01-11-2024, 04:07 PM

867 posts, read 721,639 times
I suspect the OP is quite young (high school would make most sense if they are asking about how to start a college career) and doesn't realize how academia works.

On the other hand, I do know a number of academics, besides myself, with disparate specialties that fall under a broad umbrella not unlike this. Just because an academic has special interests doesn't mean that they don't address other topics. The OP might, for example, study the psychology of work, for example, and write extensively about and teach courses on monks/nuns, nurses, and mathematicians while also teaching classes like Intro to Psychology, Industrial Psychology, and Psychological Statistics.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:00 AM

10,717 posts, read 5,655,419 times
Quote:
Well because that would limit me to only one of the professions that I'm interested in (plus I don't have what it takes to be a nurse or a mathematician).
Then you’re unlikely to have what it takes to successfully pursue a PhD.

Old 01-12-2024, 06:05 AM

365 posts, read 215,400 times
Quote:

I don't feed people who go on moralistic power trips, little less those who don't understand what I'm saying (posting) because they have preconceived moralistic ideas (perhaps wilfully so).

Old 01-12-2024, 06:11 AM

365 posts, read 215,400 times
Quote:
As I said, I'm interested in their professional experiences and motivations....and what people who practice these professions tend to have in common in terms of their psychological characteristics and background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What is it you really want to do? You don't want to do those jobs, but it almost sounds like you want to write papers/books about the people who do those jobs. Perhaps some branch of psychology like industrial psychology that studies why people work in the careers they are in??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
I suspect the OP is quite young (high school would make most sense if they are asking about how to start a college career) and doesn't realize how academia works.

On the other hand, I do know a number of academics, besides myself, with disparate specialties that fall under a broad umbrella not unlike this. Just because an academic has special interests doesn't mean that they don't address other topics. The OP might, for example, study the psychology of work, for example, and write extensively about and teach courses on monks/nuns, nurses, and mathematicians while also teaching classes like Intro to Psychology, Industrial Psychology, and Psychological Statistics.
Yes, somehow the existence of industrial psychology slipped my mind. We all have lapses every now and then

And now that I've written down exactly what interests me about these topics (in my own post quoted above) it most definitely sounds like psychology would be the right discipline for me considering such terms as 'psychological characteristics', 'motivations', 'professional experiences', and 'personal background'.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:11 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Ethnography is defined as 'the in-depth study of a particular cultural group.' If you were to undertake an ethnographic study of any of your three groups of interest, you'd find yourself 'out in the field', embedded with monks in a monastery, nurses in a hospital or clinic, or mathematicians at the Santa Fe Institute or something, hah. I'm no anthropologist but to my knowledge ethnographic studies are more typically done in tribal settings throughout the world. There's a tribe in Kenya whose name escapes me right now who are often subjected to visits from academics. But I think any identifiable subculture, domestic or foreign, is theoretically eligible for ethnographic analysis
Plus 1.

Old 01-12-2024, 05:15 PM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Do you feel passionate about anything?
He says he is passionate about "nurses". Not the nursing profession. "Nurses".

"Nurses" are not an ethnic group or a culture. It's still a female-dominated profession. This is officially creepy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities