Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2023, 09:02 AM

8,016 posts, read 5,854,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
I watched the game, & agree 100%. It's wrong for 30+ FSU players to opt-out of that game....very selfish. If you are injured...fine, otherwise play.

Those FSU players owe it to FSU (who gave them a scholarship to play), their teammates, coaches, and fans.

I think UGA won not only on the playing field, but off-field too...by showing more integrity, & allegiance to those around them.

BRAVO to the FSU players who played hard in defeat...they're better people than the opt-outs. That 3rd string FSU QB especially

Lastly, I agree that even at 100%, FSU doesn't beat UGA...not even close. Remember, UGA had 2 future 1st round NFL picks sidelined due to injury too (Bowers and Mims).
Quote:
Alabama is the 2nd winningest NCAA Football team in D1 of all time (UGA's 11th), so no shame losing 2 games to AL.

UGA beat AL once in the past 32 games as well, & UGA won back to back national title's...Alabama didn't.

I'll stick by my original post..the Bowl Game era has been played out...time to turn the page. That UGA-FSU game was a perfect illustration.

I like your thoughts here. I agree with you on the fact that FSU (or any school) gave these kids a scholarship to play. Because not everyone is going on to the NFL, that scholarship is valuable, as these kids will have to have a career in something.

I wasn't hating on Alabama as much as I was impressed with the fact that Georgia has only two losses in 32 games (to go along with back-to-back National Championships). It's clear that Alabama and Georgia are the two best programs top to bottom in all of college football.

They do need to fix the "remaining" bowls after we go to a 12-team playoff. I agree with what Tessitore said during the game. The portal needs to remain closed until after the bowls are over, and the signing day needs to be shifted until after the bowls are over. As Lane Kiffin said, college football is literally having free agency occur while the games are still being played. That's crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 12:09 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
I wish transfers would play their bowls, but they might not be able to.

The NCAA decided to put the transfer window before the bowls. That's the root cause.

If a player wants to transfer, they have to do it in that limited time. (There's a second window but much of the opportunity is gone then.)

Maybe they have to promise their new coach that they won't play, so they don't get injured.

In other words, if my assumptions are right it's the system, not the player.

NFL-bound players are another story.

Old 12-31-2023, 12:21 PM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I like your thoughts here. I agree with you on the fact that FSU (or any school) gave these kids a scholarship to play. Because not everyone is going on to the NFL, that scholarship is valuable, as these kids will have to have a career in something.

I wasn't hating on Alabama as much as I was impressed with the fact that Georgia has only two losses in 32 games (to go along with back-to-back National Championships). It's clear that Alabama and Georgia are the two best programs top to bottom in all of college football.

They do need to fix the "remaining" bowls after we go to a 12-team playoff. I agree with what Tessitore said during the game. The portal needs to remain closed until after the bowls are over, and the signing day needs to be shifted until after the bowls are over. As Lane Kiffin said, college football is literally having free agency occur while the games are still being played. That's crazy.
I agree with Kiffin, Tessitore and you.

I also agree that right now, it's AL, UGA, & the rest...unless Michigan wins this natty.

UGA is 50-4 in the past 4 years, & 2 of those losses were to AL...one of which was avenged.

UGA's other losses were to FLA in 2020, & the last home loss for UGA was vs SC in 2019 in double OT.

I wish they'd cap the bowl games to teams w/ 1 or 2 losses, or in the top 20 in rankings, or some combo of both. The rest are meaningless.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I agree with Kiffin, Tessitore and you.

I also agree that right now, it's AL, UGA, & the rest...unless Michigan wins this natty.

UGA is 50-4 in the past 4 years, & 2 of those losses were to AL...one of which was avenged.

UGA's other losses were to FLA in 2020, & the last home loss for UGA was vs SC in 2019 in double OT.

I wish they'd cap the bowl games to teams w/ 1 or 2 losses, or in the top 20 in rankings, or some combo of both. The rest are meaningless.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that Alabama is going to beat Michigan. Saban is a much better coach than Harbaugh, and I don't think Michigan has the kind of offense to remain competitive through 4 quarters. I'm not that impressed with the Michigan QB. And I'm never impressed with the strength of schedule in the Big 10. Iowa somehow won their division, yet barely averaged above 18 points a game, and of course, got shutout in the title game. Stranger things have happened, but I do like Alabama to win. It's likely going to be a close game.

I hear you on capping the bowl games, but unfortunately, it's all about the money/sponsors/free trips, etc. The 12-team playoff will not settle all the debates either, because there's NO WAY the committee would allow 4-5 SEC teams in, even if they were only 1 loss teams. The rest of the bowls probably need 6-loss teams (lol) just to fill out the schedule for those Dec. 17th bowls, or whenever they start playing.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:18 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,574,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
I'll go out on a limb here and say that Alabama is going to beat Michigan. Saban is a much better coach than Harbaugh, and I don't think Michigan has the kind of offense to remain competitive through 4 quarters. I'm not that impressed with the Michigan QB. And I'm never impressed with the strength of schedule in the Big 10. Iowa somehow won their division, yet barely averaged above 18 points a game, and of course, got shutout in the title game. Stranger things have happened, but I do like Alabama to win. It's likely going to be a close game.

I hear you on capping the bowl games, but unfortunately, it's all about the money/sponsors/free trips, etc. The 12-team playoff will not settle all the debates either, because there's NO WAY the committee would allow 4-5 SEC teams in, even if they were only 1 loss teams. The rest of the bowls probably need 6-loss teams (lol) just to fill out the schedule for those Dec. 17th bowls, or whenever they start playing.
i'll be rooting for Bama, since U of M are proven cheaters. And I think the transfer portal needs to be closed until after the Natty has been played.

Old 12-31-2023, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
i'll be rooting for Bama, since U of M are proven cheaters. And I think the transfer portal needs to be closed until after the Natty has been played.
I'm with you on the transfer portal. No idea whose dumb idea it was to have it open while bowl games are still being played. But coming from the NCAA, it does not shock me.

I would like to think that the coaches would force the NCAA to close it. The ironic thing is that it's open again in the springtime, if I remember. Man, in college football, the tail is wagging the dog right now.

Old 01-06-2024, 06:40 PM

735 posts, read 406,849 times
The bowls have stunk for decades unless your team is playing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football