Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 04:57 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
There are plenty of examples on both sides of the coin on that one.

Although I'm not a fan of it as what you claim can certainly happen. However in the NFL, there are some examples that exemplify what you say (Marty Schottenheimer comes to mind in KC) and some that don't (Andy Reid and Tony Dungy). Neither coach could get over the top in Philly and Tampa Bay (and both teams went on to win the Superbowl after they left). Of course, the cool thing was both coaches got their own Superbowl victories with their new teams. Sometimes a change of venue for both sides can be a good thing.

Most die-hard Ohio State fans I know will not be happy with the current streak regardless of how well the rest of the season turns out and they very well may get rid of Day if it doesn't turn around at some point.

Schotty's a good example. You look at what happened to teams after they got rid of him. And, let me say that I put him as the greatest coach in NFL history to never win a Super Bowl (And very few playoff games)

The Chargers went with Norv Turner.. Who.. Basically continued the tradition while sprinkling in added drama of normally starting the season poorly and them going on 10 game winning streaks to make the playoffs (Exaggeration, but not by a whole lot)

The Browns left the damn city after he was gone. They haven't had sustained success, even with Belichek since Marty left.

KC.. They were, in general, middling until Andy Reid came. Speaking strictly to the time after Marty.

Washington.. Well.. The less said there the better.

But.. your points about Philly and Tampa are valid. Sometimes, it's just a matter of style. Schotty was a pretty hard coach.. Sometimes replacing that with a more middle of the road is what is needed. While sometimes, replacing a too-easy coach can be the winning formula.

Personally.. I don't think Day has done anything to warrant being fired. But, that's me from an outside looking in standpoint. There are those who look at things different ways. Some people would say that if he went 1-10 with the only win being against Michigan.. That would be a good season. Or if they went 14-1 and won a national championship, but lost to Michigan.. That would be a poor season.

Wherever you sit on it.. There's certainly a big difference between him and.. Say Jimbo Fisher. That's just been a run of mediocrity at a place where mediocrity isn't acceptable. If Day were turning in some 7-5 or 8-4 seasons.. I'd certainly have a different view.

That's also why i'm not sweating a bad Clemson season. A few less fumbles and a better kicker.. They're probably sitting, at worst, at 11-1 right now and possibly 12-0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 05:16 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Former Buckeye star Maurice Clarett ("Slo Mo") has said Ryan Day needs to go. The good news is that nobody listens to Mr Clarett. He was a part of the 2002 Naitonal Champ team, but only played one year.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/ex-oh...hen-backtracks

Old 11-27-2023, 05:47 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
Ryan Day's problems are just beginning, with the addition next year of USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington.

It's pretty common knowledge that this is a 2-team conference up until now. OSU and Michigan essentially had one-game schedules. Just beat the other guys, and you'll be successful.

Now, that's all about to change, and unfortunately for Ryan Day, he's now a three-straight-year loser to UM. Sure, sure, UM stole signals and all, but honestly, the offense at OSU is less than stellar. Harrison is off to the pros, as is anyone with any sense. Pretty soon, the calls for Day's firing will be too loud to overcome.

And then, the new coach will be announced, complete with hs own NIL deals with Coke and DraftKings.

Art "You Better, You Better You Bet" Schlichter

Old 11-28-2023, 05:01 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
In speaking of Schottenheimer above, I referenced KC but meant to say Cleveland.

Old 11-28-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
In speaking of Schottenheimer above, I referenced KC but meant to say Cleveland.

No worries, but.. As I said.. You could basically plug ANY of the teams that Schotty coached in there. They pretty much all went downhill after getting rid of him.

Old 11-29-2023, 01:35 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Here should be your argument. In games against competition.. And, by that, I mean your Michigans, Clemsons, etc.'
Last I checked, Ryan Day and Ohio State beat Clemson 49-28.

You can go ahead and exclude Clemson from that list anyway. They've had 3 sub-par seasons in a row and unlike Michigan, Texas, USC, they aren't awash in Big Oil/Big Auto/Big Hollywood booster money that all but guarantees future competitiveness.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Last I checked, Ryan Day and Ohio State beat Clemson 49-28.

You can go ahead and exclude Clemson from that list anyway. They've had 3 sub-par seasons in a row and unlike Michigan, Texas, USC, they aren't awash in Big Oil/Big Auto/Big Hollywood booster money that all but guarantees future competitiveness.

Convenient that you cut off the rest of my statement..

"Day is 1-6 and the only win, from what I can remember, was in the COVID season where they had only played like 6 games vs a team that had played 12."

Yes, that one win was Ohio States only victory over Clemson. Ever.

BTW.. How'd your boy DJ turn out for the Beavers? Oh.. With an 8-4 record? With stats about identical to Klubnik, with the exception of fumbles, I'm sure.. He did take many fewer sacks, and had a much higher average per completion. Though he completed about 6% fewer passes than Klubnik.

Won 2 games against ranked teams.. Same as Klubnik.

I honestly think it'd be cook for a bowl game Clemson vs Oregon State.

Eh.. Maybe he'll come back and be the same for them another year. I think he still has one more year of eligibility due to COVID.

Clemson this year was a kicker and 15 fewer fumbles away from being 12-0. Now.. Are they on par with top 5 teams? No. Too young and inexperienced on offense and need some WRs to be deep threats. From a defensive standpoint.. I'd put them up against most.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:25 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Convenient that you cut off the rest of my statement..

"Day is 1-6 and the only win, from what I can remember, was in the COVID season where they had only played like 6 games vs a team that had played 12."

Yes, that one win was Ohio States only victory over Clemson. Ever.

BTW.. How'd your boy DJ turn out for the Beavers? Oh.. With an 8-4 record? With stats about identical to Klubnik, with the exception of fumbles, I'm sure.. He did take many fewer sacks, and had a much higher average per completion. Though he completed about 6% fewer passes than Klubnik.

Won 2 games against ranked teams.. Same as Klubnik.

I honestly think it'd be cook for a bowl game Clemson vs Oregon State.

Eh.. Maybe he'll come back and be the same for them another year. I think he still has one more year of eligibility due to COVID.

Clemson this year was a kicker and 15 fewer fumbles away from being 12-0. Now.. Are they on par with top 5 teams? No. Too young and inexperienced on offense and need some WRs to be deep threats. From a defensive standpoint.. I'd put them up against most.
The Seminoles will be running your conference soon enough. Clemson's poor results the last few years have certainly hurt recruiting.

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Fo...eTeamRankings/

Meanwhile, FSU is right up there with OSU and UGA. Plus, Norvell's willingness to use the transfer portal means it will have the talent advantage as long as Dabo Swinney refuses to do the same.

Old 12-01-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The Seminoles will be running your conference soon enough. Clemson's poor results the last few years have certainly hurt recruiting.

https://247sports.com/Season/2024-Fo...eTeamRankings/

Meanwhile, FSU is right up there with OSU and UGA. Plus, Norvell's willingness to use the transfer portal means it will have the talent advantage as long as Dabo Swinney refuses to do the same.

Portal is a double edged sword.. Who would you rather play for? Someone like Deion who will kick you to the curb at the drop of a hat.. Or someone like Dabo who will stand behind you?

I think that is his stance on it.. It's a loyalty thing. How can you expect players to be loyal to you if you won't be loyal to them? And.. I think his hope is that the players will see that.

That being said.. If Clemson does head to the portal.. I think it'll be for a kicker.

this all being said.. If you want to continue this.. I'm happy to, but.. Maybe over in the general topic vs hijacking H8t3rs' topic here.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:44 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H8t3rs View Post
I said this 2 years ago and I will say it again. Ryan Day needs to get fired today. I've had enough of his losing games that count. Ohio State has premier talent but his winning percentage against Top5 teams is abysmal.

I want Mike Vrabel to coach The Ohio State
What about Jim Harbaugh, he's probably looking for a new job after this season, and would be a great hire for THE Ohio State to replace Day, then Day can go coach Michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football