Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 08:53 PM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times

Advertisements

A thread for commenting on college QBs. Who we like, don't like.. introducing quarterbacks who may not get much attention, or scrutiny..

I'll start with Carson Strong (Nevada), I watched play tonight. After first three weeks of 2020, he's thrown for 9 TDs, zero picks. Strong, accurate arm (completed almost 70 percent vs Utah State today). Tossed for over 400 yrds vs Wyoming and Utah St.. not bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 09:07 PM

433 posts, read 287,073 times
Regarding college footballl quarterbacks, why does the Big 10, with the exception of Ohio State and to a lesser extent, Penn State(sometimes), always get these big stiff white guys who have trouble throwing a simple screen pass let alone something down the field....Take Michigan, for instance, a passing attempt of anymore than 8 yards is such a risky gamble and when a QB does pull it off, you'd think they just won the national championship. Why do they recruit these guys who just can't pass and when they do try to pass, they get happy feet and appear like they're having a nervous breakdown. I think it's a combination of BOTH personell and type of offense being run.

On another note, I thought Kellen Mond would be fantastic, one of the best after I saw him play against Clemson about 3 years ago, as a freshman. He was fantastic, almost won the game. A year or two later, A&M plays at Clemson and Kellen looks scared to death, like he's seen a ghost. I understand he broke some A&M records. Good for him. But I actually thought he would be even better.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor Face View Post
..why does the Big 10,.. always get these big stiff white guys who have trouble throwing a simple screen pass let alone something down the field..
I'd submit the two most accomplished QBs in the NFL defy your negative characterization.. Brady & Brees are both Big Ten alumni (Michigan and Purdue).
I think Lombardi (Michigan State) is a decent passer, but I haven't seen him enough. Maybe I'll report on him a little as the season goes on. peace

Old 11-10-2020, 10:37 PM

Watched Buffalo-Miami OH tonight. Saw Buffalo QB Vantrease for the first time. Good win for him, 353 yards 4 TDs, no picks, and tossed a long pass for 82 yards.

Nice watch, because this might be the only Buffalo game I'll see this season. They had some cool helmets for this game, not sure if they're a program who rotates uniforms thru the year..

Old 11-11-2020, 03:32 PM

3,392 posts, read 2,800,591 times
Russell Wilson UW
Devin Gardiner UM
Micheal Penix IU
Taylor Martinez Neb
Taulia Tagovailoa Maryland

Old 11-18-2020, 06:59 PM

1,977 posts, read 967,445 times
Looks like Sean Clifford is overrated this year.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:07 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,257,090 times
Justin Fields is a stud. So glad the Buckeyes were able to get him when he decided to leave Georgia.

I feel like, assuming they both enter the draft, that Lawrence and Fields are going to have the same hype that Luck and RGIII had when they came out in the draft. However, it's easy for me to say now, but I feel like Lawrence and Fields will have better NFL careers than them.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post
Justin Fields is a stud. So glad the Buckeyes were able to get him when he decided to leave Georgia.

I feel like, assuming they both enter the draft, that Lawrence and Fields are going to have the same hype that Luck and RGIII had when they came out in the draft. However, it's easy for me to say now, but I feel like Lawrence and Fields will have better NFL careers than them.
Fields is amazing. He is right up there with Trevor Lawrence and Mac Jones this year. I think Fields is a lock to be a top five pick.

Old 11-19-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobucks86 View Post

RGIII got really unlucky with injuries. He had ONE solid year and was hurt in the wild card game against Seattle. After that game, he was never the same.

I agree about Fields and Lawrence. They will be successful in the NFL. Though I do not think the Jets need either one. They already have a top QB, Sam Darnold. I don't get why they would draft another top QB. I think they should trade the pick.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggermatt15 View Post
RGIII got really unlucky with injuries. He had ONE solid year and was hurt in the wild card game against Seattle. After that game, he was never the same.
My opinion, RG3's NFL career was easily predictable tho.. (I was a maligned critic of his from the jump). A relatively slight QB, often playing quarterback like a running back. His career was doomed as much by his style of play, as unfortunate injury.
My feeling about sCam Newton has always been the same.. He's a physical runner, and will probably have a shelf life similar to a battered running back. In fairness, both quarterbacks are still in the league, but to date neither sCam or RG3 have been the dominant, game-changing revolutionaries they were marketed as..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football