Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 10:15 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
No other team experienced the large-scale omission by the CFP committee that FSU did either.
Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 11:06 AM

387 posts, read 351,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
No other team experienced the large-scale omission by the CFP committee that FSU did either.
And this is what will be lost in history and even by those who don't "know". The opt-outs happened because of that. We didn't have opt-outs last year because getting 10 wins was important to the team. Then all those guys came back only to be told their wins didn't matter.

I don't agree with it, but the "why" will be forgotten soon enough. And like I said before, while you can understand it I think it did more harm than good.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:49 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
The downside of the transfer portal. Most of these guys will probably only stay a single season.

Quote:
The Norvell transfer pool has brought No. 4-ranked FSU 14 of its current 22 starters, along with another eight players on FSU’s two-deep chart.
https://www.jacksonville.com/story/s...l/70772797007/

Quote:
With a roster missing 25 players, including 14 starters, from the ACC Championship game 28 days ago, No. 5 Florida State lost to No. 6 Georgia 63-3 in the Capital One Orange Bowl in Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday.
https://seminoles.com/news/2023/12/3...in-orange-bowl

Old 01-03-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The downside of the transfer portal. Most of these guys will probably only stay a single season.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/s...l/70772797007/

https://seminoles.com/news/2023/12/3...in-orange-bowl
No doubt it is a double edge sword. But one I think coach needed to do in order to get FSU back to being competitive. He has started to get better recruiting classes, so I will be curious to see where this goes. But you have to be careful...FSU looking at the portal is what caused Tate to transfer. When you have someone in the program for that long and is finally ready to take the keys and you go looking for a big name in the portal, what do you expect? It can have a negative effect on your players on roster.

Old 01-03-2024, 11:44 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctousley819 View Post
No doubt it is a double edge sword. But one I think coach needed to do in order to get FSU back to being competitive. He has started to get better recruiting classes, so I will be curious to see where this goes. But you have to be careful...FSU looking at the portal is what caused Tate to transfer. When you have someone in the program for that long and is finally ready to take the keys and you go looking for a big name in the portal, what do you expect? It can have a negative effect on your players on roster.
Sure, I don't blame Norvell for leveraging the portal to generate quick results. That would be better than going 7-5. But I'm also not sure why people seem so surprised by the opt-outs considering these guys were transfer students. It's like being surprised that a bunch of foreign mercenaries aren't willing to fight down to the last man to protect the King.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:37 PM

17,988 posts, read 27,448,014 times
Quote:
FSU fans are making it seem like they had 10-15 first-day NFL draft picks sitting out. The vast majority of their starters are marginal 4-star transfers. It's not at all similar to, say, Chase Young, Justin Fields, J.K. Dobbins and Chris Olave all deciding to opt out. Their roster at full strength was ranked 20th in overall talent by 247.
I don't think it's fair to put this on "FSU Fans". Seems like a couple of anti-Bama and anti-Michigan honks.

The actual FSU fans I've seen in here have been pretty straight up.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
FSU fans are making it seem like they had 10-15 first-day NFL draft picks sitting out. The vast majority of their starters are marginal 4-star transfers. It's not at all similar to, say, Chase Young, Justin Fields, J.K. Dobbins and Chris Olave all deciding to opt out. Their roster at full strength was ranked 20th in overall talent by 247.
Sorry, that is not a valid metric to use when trying to shut down the argument about the opt outs. Essentially the WHOLE 1st team offense and defense was out either due to opt outs or injuries. The same 1st team that was one of the top defenses in the country. They may have been "4 star transfers" or ranked 20th by overall talent, but that team with those "metrics" went 13-0 and had a dominant defense.

One or two star players opting out is a completely different thing than nearly the whole 1st team not playing.

Old 01-05-2024, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Sure, I don't blame Norvell for leveraging the portal to generate quick results. That would be better than going 7-5. But I'm also not sure why people seem so surprised by the opt-outs considering these guys were transfer students. It's like being surprised that a bunch of foreign mercenaries aren't willing to fight down to the last man to protect the King.
I get what you are saying. I think our issue comes down to the fact that when you hear about some of the reasons many of them came back this year, or even came to the school this year, it went against what they said. Even in many of their "goodbye' posts, they reference the impact and what the school meant. But then they opt-out? It just rubs the wrong way.

But you are right, these guys were transfer students so they don't have the same connection/loyalty as someone like Deloach who has been there since the dumpster fire of Taggart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football