Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

This was already posted in the Greenville Area Developments thread, but this proposed road project is bigger than the Greenville Metro.

So this thread will contain all of the news that develops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 05:36 PM

NCDOT Goldsboro Bypass

R-2554BA - Complete - I-795 to Wayne Memorial Drive
R-2554BB - Under construction/complete 7/2015 - Wayne Memorial Drive to Creek Road
R-2554C - Under construction/complete 7/2015 - Creek Road to US 70

Old 03-11-2013, 06:02 PM

Kinston Harvey Parkway

They are finishing up the connection from US 70 to NC 58 via Harvey Parkway

Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM

US 70 is being rerouted from Banks School Road to Innovation Way to accommodate the west end of Harvey Parkway.

Harvey Parkway project to change U.S. 70 traffic - Local - Free Press & Jones Post

Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM

The U.S. Highway 70 Corridor Commission had a meeting, and some of the highlights.....
  • Interstates must run to a major metropolitan area, in which Greenville qualifies
  • the eastern part of eastern North Carolina had two routes, which would be most easy to turn into interstates. The routes were US Highway 264 from Raleigh to Greenville and US Highway 70
  • If the US Highway 70 Kinston Bypass is the northern route, it would cross over NC Highway 11 and would be approximately ten miles from the US Highway 264 Bypass to Greenville
  • With the completion of the Goldsboro Bypass, Kinston Bypass and Havelock Bypass, a large portion of US Highway 70 would be built to interstate standards.
  • US Highway 264 from Raleigh to Greenville was the most ready to be interstate quality with a small area needing to be cleaned up.
  • The shoulders on US Highway 264 from the Greene-Wilson county line west have been widened to Interstate 95.
  • Transportation officials stated gaining an interstate parallel to another interstate is extremely difficult. US Highway 64 parallels US Highway 264 and US Highway 264 was selected.
  • US Highway 264 and US Highway 70 were the quickest avenue to get interstate service in our section of eastern North Carolina.

The minutes are found here. Start with Interstate Options section, or search for Greenville. I quickly went over it, and bulleted anything interesting I saw.

I didn't see anything about bridge height, so I assume that isn't an issue.

Old 04-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Kinston Free Press also had an article about it.

Seems everyone is on board on doing whatever necessary to make 264 and 70 as the preferred interstate routes.

But it sounds like Craven County isn't happy about being excluded, even though they would benefit immensely. I think they are wanting US17 as the interstate route, and not US11.
My opinion: I see where Craven is coming from, but they need to be quiet and sit back down. Is there even any movement on upgrading US17 from New Bern to Washington? Or upgrading US264 to Freeway standards (not even Interstate), between Greenville and Washington? It wouldn't take much to make sure the Kinston Bypass connected to the current freeway in between Kinston and New Bern.

But I assume this won't hinder the progress. New Bern will benefit, even without an interstate going through their town.

Old 04-05-2013, 01:25 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
To be honest, I don't get the Quad concept...I don't see it necessary to link Greenville and K-town by Interstate as some "priority"...certainly the bypasses need to be done, but that is more of a local issue of traffic on main arteries.

The focus should be on the 264 corridor and the 70 corridor. Craven has a legit concern about the 17 corridor. If an Interstate followed 264 to 17 it would end in Washington, most likely bypassing Greenville on the Southern side, which in the long run needs to be done (hence Ayden gets its Interstate).

Kinston wants 70 to be bypassed on the northern side because of the GTP, which is fine...but that doesn't mean Ayden Grifton High School needs an interstate?

I think 17 should be being built to Interstate standards NOW...not this crap they are throwing up north and south of Washington...taking two years to make it 4 lane with all access from every farm. That's substandard work the DOT is putting out there and ENC legislators eat it up as some sort of progress. 17 is a highly traveled road, especially from Jacksonville to Myrtle Beach...there is no reason it shouldn't be to Interstate standards and it should extend to New Bern, Washington, Edenton, and E-City all the way to Norfolk....264 and 70 should also be interstate standards....

It really is that simple...way too much localism going on as usual and not enough regional, common sense thinking.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:48 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
This is getting more messed up by the day. Everybody has their own agendas and in the end, a whole lot of feelings are going to be hurt. Everybody is acting like they think having an Interstate is going to fix all of their economic problems. It won't. I-95 goes through hundreds of little towns on it's way from Maine to Florida and it hasn't done a thing for any of them. Having US 264 converted to an Interstate probably wouldn't even do that much for Greenville. Greenville is growing by leaps and bounds without an Interstate or a large jet certified airport.

Before they will build an Interstate to anywhere you have to have somewhere to build it to. The only reason Greenville is supporting this stupid quad loop thing is because it was the only way to get Kinston to support converting US264 into an Interstate. And Kinston wants their Interstate before Greenville gets theirs. There is NO REASON to build an Interstate to Kinston. Nothing will be served by it.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:25 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is getting more messed up by the day. Everybody has their own agendas and in the end, a whole lot of feelings are going to be hurt. Everybody is acting like they think having an Interstate is going to fix all of their economic problems. It won't. I-95 goes through hundreds of little towns on it's way from Maine to Florida and it hasn't done a thing for any of them. Having US 264 converted to an Interstate probably wouldn't even do that much for Greenville. Greenville is growing by leaps and bounds without an Interstate or a large jet certified airport.

Before they will build an Interstate to anywhere you have to have somewhere to build it to. The only reason Greenville is supporting this stupid quad loop thing is because it was the only way to get Kinston to support converting US264 into an Interstate. And Kinston wants their Interstate before Greenville gets theirs. There is NO REASON to build an Interstate to Kinston. Nothing will be served by it.
Talk to some of the economic developers in the region and they will all tell you that cities like Greenville, Kinston, New Bern, etc...are at a significant disadvantage to attract job creating industries because of the lack of "interstate" access. It has always been an issue for the GTP in Kinston. Companies know how to be efficient and start and stop traffic is not efficient when it comes to shipping every day. Many companies will not even consider a community without BOTH Interstate and rail access.

You say that Kinston doesnt need an interstate...but the port in Morehead City does...Kinston is just on the way. The point is the 70 corridor needs to be done, just as I-40 was done previously. As for 17, the traffice becomes worse and worse every year along the coast and a highway is needed to move along our coast and north to south from the growing Wilmington area.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:19 PM

I would love to see US17 at Williamston and north be turned into a freeway, through the Elizabeth City bypass, and connect to the Chesapeake Expressway in Virginia.

And US13 from the Greenville Bypass to north of Bethel turn into a freeway.

For both, neither interstate standards, just freeway. Unless the difference isn't that much.

The end result would be a new freeway connection from Raleigh to Virginia Beach. That would do wonders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina