Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Preferable State: Southern Big Leagues
I'd prefer GEORGIA 11 18.03%
I'd prefer FLORIDA 5 8.20%
I'd prefer TEXAS 11 18.03%
I'd prefer NORTH CAROLINA 15 24.59%
I'd prefer VIRGINIA 14 22.95%
I likes the south ALL ABOVE 2 3.28%
bless their hearts but NEITHER 3 4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 06:12 AM

1,742 posts, read 1,907,630 times

Advertisements

Delving into the topic of Top Tier Southern States, Which do the People prefer in this Epic Clash of the Southern Big Leagues

Preferable States Season 2 Episode V (five) Southern Big Leagues: A Southern State with All or Significant Portion of a Metropolitan Area with at Least 5 Million people or A Total State Population of 10 Million people

Southern Big Leagues
Texas
Virginia
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia

Preferable State: Southern Big Leagues
- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Topography & Landscapes
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?

List Commentary Below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2024, 08:20 AM

4,161 posts, read 2,867,034 times
Preferred location: I love the Southeast location. Drivable to beach, mountains, close enough to other places but good enough as standalone place. Georgia/NC

Brighter Future: You can slice this different ways, and in general I worry an infrastructure crunch is coming to the two standouts Florida and Texas. Among the other 3, I think Georgia and Virginia are too top-heavy though Virginia has more outlets for growth with Richmond and Hampton Roads. Texas

Best Major Cities: Houston/Dallas, Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, and Northern Virginia [DC suburbs]

I mean I could likely argue DC if so inclined, but it isn’t actually in Virginia and I don’t think I’d argue it regardless. My preference is Atlanta and Dallas in that order. Houston gives Texas depth however. Texas (I think)

Best Secondary Cities: Austin/San Antonio, Orlando/Tampa/Jacksonville, Savannah/Augusta, Triangle/Triad, Richmond/Hampton Roads

Hard to go wrong with any, and maybe the best city to visit here is Savannah. But Georgia’s secondary cities would be tertiary cities elsewhere. I could see myself living in either Austin or Tampa if I were to leave Raleigh. NC

Topography and landscapes: The barrier islands are my favorite places in the continent US to go to. The Outer Banks in NC and the sea islands in SC. I’ve never visited the islands off the coast of Georgia, but presumably they are similar to the SC ones. However I have visited the Georgia mountains, so I feel better about my answer. NC

Economy: The others are fine, but everything is bigger in, well, you-know. Texas

Higher Education: I don’t think you can go wrong with Georgia, Texas, or NC. Texas due to quality depth

Weather: Feel like you are splitting hairs somewhat here, but in general I like the Georgia weather but just a bit cooler even if slightly. NC or Virginia

I’d like Texas more if it was located on the East Coast. But overall to me, NC

Old 05-05-2024, 09:33 AM

537 posts, read 266,083 times
- Preferred Location: Virginia
- Brighter Future- Texas, but they all will do very well
- Best Major Cities: Pick one to live in as I age? Probably Florida. Miami.
- Best Secondary Cities Texas. Outside of the big two, you have Austin, SA, EP, etc.
- Topography & Landscapes I like Virginia. Diverse, lots of trees.
- Economy: Texas
- Higher Education NC, Virginia, Texas, in that order
- Weather :virginia
- The State I Prefer is? Virginia

Old 05-05-2024, 10:12 AM

4,228 posts, read 3,320,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post
Delving into the topic of Top Tier Southern States, Which do the People prefer in this Epic Clash of the Southern Big Leagues

Preferable States Season 2 Episode V (five) Southern Big Leagues: A Southern State with All or Significant Portion of a Metropolitan Area with at Least 5 Million people or A Total State Population of 10 Million people

Southern Big Leagues
Texas
Virginia
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia

- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?

List Commentary Below
Texas easily has the best location, center of the nation on the warm side (though I prefer colder zones to the south, it seems I'm in the minority) with multiple world level major airports.

Texas seems to have a brighter future than maybe any other state.

Texas has two cities completely independent of each other that can both crack the national top four in some categories very soon.

Texas has two secondary cities that are at or moving towards maxing out status in their size class and moving into the next class.

It seems like NC would have the best topography and landscapes.

Texas isn't experiencing any competition from the other choices economically.

Baylor, Rice, UT, Texas Tech, U of H, and a bunch I'm probably missing. Texas for education.

I'll take NC for weather.

I'd take Texas, and I'd live in Houston.

P.S., love the way the criteria was tweaked to be able to get VA in this conversation!

Old 05-05-2024, 10:47 AM

2,360 posts, read 2,321,467 times
- Preferred Location - VA
- Brighter Future - TX
- Best Major Cities - Florida
- Best Secondary Cities - Florida
- Topography & Landscapes - TX
- Economy - TX
- Higher Education- NC
- Weather - NC
- The State I Prefer is? VA (solely due to NoVA)

TN would have been interesting to have included. It might win some of these categories.

Old 05-05-2024, 02:22 PM

687 posts, read 500,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRedTide View Post

Southern Big Leagues
Texas
Virginia
Florida
North Carolina
Georgia

- Preferred Location
- Brighter Future
- Best Major Cities
- Best Secondary Cities
- Economy
- Higher Education
- Weather
- The State I Prefer is?

List Commentary Below

Preferred Location: NC
Brighter Future: TX
Best Major Cities: Texas
Best Secondary Cities: NC
Topography & Landscapes: NC
Economy: TX
Higher Education: NC
Weather: VA
The State I prefer: NC

Old 05-05-2024, 04:46 PM

3,908 posts, read 2,224,262 times
Preferred location: TX
Brighter future: TX
Best Major Cities: TX
Best secondary cities: NC
Topography and landscapes: NC
Higher education: TX
Weather: NC
State I prefer: TX

Old 05-05-2024, 04:50 PM

9,940 posts, read 6,655,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
Preferred location: TX
Brighter future: TX
Best Major Cities: TX
Best secondary cities: NC
Topography and landscapes: NC
Higher education: TX
Weather: NC
State I prefer: TX
I’m not sure how Texas can be ahead of NC in higher education. Overall, they’re around even. Pound for pound NC takes it in a landslide

Old 05-05-2024, 05:42 PM

2,360 posts, read 2,321,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I’m not sure how Texas can be ahead of NC in higher education. Overall, they’re around even. Pound for pound NC takes it in a landslide
I agree. Overall, I think it goes to NC even. Duke beats Rice and UNC Chapel Hill beats UT Austin. Pound for pound it’s no contest.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:44 PM

6,400 posts, read 5,039,755 times
My preference for living, highest to lowest

Virginia
Texas
Georgia
North Carolina
Florida

Arlington/Alexandria would be my top pick for VA -- that's not really what people mean when they think of the South, but all five of these states have significant "non-Southern" areas like that

The Virginia Appalachians seem beautiful, though (been through there once as a kid but don't remember much). Would enjoy checking out Roanoke and Blacksburg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City