Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,184,934 times

Advertisements

Houston has several "downtowns."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,611,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Im pretty sure the op meant A city with more than one downtown. Not downtowns of cities near large cities. Meaning Oakland and Bellevue don't match this thread
Bellevue is just as far away to downtown Seattle as Buckhead is to downtown Atlanta.... it's just a political boundary.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:25 PM

808 posts, read 3,656,622 times
Dallas

Downtown Dallas

Stemmons Corridor

Park Central (Photo is dated)

Uptown (just across the freeway from downtown; photo is dated)

Turtle Creek area

Central Expressway Corridor

Galleria area

Las Colinas (in Irving)

I think Dallas fits the criteria of having multiple downtowns

Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,267,478 times
If we're talking about multiple business disticts within one city, then no, Oakland and Bellevue would NOT count, because they are different cities. If we are talking about multiple CBD's within a metropolitan area, then yes, Oakland and Bellevue would count. That's why I'm not including Vega$ on this list, because the Las Vegas Strip isn't actually in the city of Vegas itself, but in an unicorporated part of Clark County called "Paradise"

However, if we're talking about within one city as the OP stated, I would say:

Atlanta: Downtown/Midtown/Buckhead

Houston: Downtown/TX Medical Center/Uptown (Galleria)/I-10 Energy Corridor/Greenspoint

Los Angeles: Downtown/Century City/Warner Center/Studio City/Wilshire Corridor (I know I'm missing some areas, so help me out here)

Tampa: Downtown/Westshore

Phoenix: Downtown/Biltmore Corridor

Dallas: Downtown/Uptown/Galleria (although this area straddles the city of Addison too)

San Diego: Downtown/Golden Triangle (UTC)/Sorento Valley/Mission Valley

Virginia Beach: Resort Area ('old' downtown)/VB Town Center (the 'new' Downtown)

These developments seem to occur more in cities with large square mileage and much more recent development

Old 05-13-2008, 10:45 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,409,675 times
Los Angeles wins I believe. There is Downtown LA, Koreatown, Long Beach, Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, Warner Center, Santa Monica, Century City, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Brentwood, Miracle Mile/Fairfax District/Wilshire Blvd, I believe Sherman Oaks or Studio City has something, and Oxnard is far, but does have a CBD, Riverside, San Bernardino, Irvine, Anaheim, Santa Ana are far, but definitely have CBDs. Plenty of others as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,941,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70;3748655

Las Vegas feels like it has 2 downtowns also....first there the old "downtown around Fremont Street (where that old famous Vegas Vic is still standing....overshadowed by the new Fremont Street Experience), and then there's the Strip. At least these feel like 2 "downtowns" though there's really two tourist areas, most of the regular business and goings on take place spread out all over like most Sunbelt cities.
Yep. The old downtown and the strip are considered two separate entities entirely.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:34 PM

845 posts, read 2,749,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Los Angeles wins I believe. There is Downtown LA, Koreatown, Long Beach, Pasadena, Glendale, Burbank, Warner Center, Santa Monica, Century City, Hollywood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Brentwood, Miracle Mile/Fairfax District/Wilshire Blvd, I believe Sherman Oaks or Studio City has something, and Oxnard is far, but does have a CBD, Riverside, San Bernardino, Irvine, Anaheim, Santa Ana are far, but definitely have CBDs. Plenty of others as well.
All you did was name a bunch of cities in the LA metro and not a city with multiple downtowns within the same city limits.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:57 PM

89 posts, read 381,594 times
Haha I don't know this counts or not, but Denver has Downton and Lodo (Lower Downtown). they are right next to each other but just different feeling, Downtown is where all the skyscrapers are, and lodo is where the old downtown is, with all the old building (and new buildings but with height restrcitions). They're not like two separate entities though IMO, they kinda blend in together area wise, usage wise, etc. And 16th Mall goes through both of them. i'll let you guys decide

Old 05-14-2008, 04:00 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,812,776 times
Chicago could slightly be considered for this catagory.

On the northwest side by O'Hare there are tons of office buidlings and hotels that all very tall and clutterd together that, when viewed from up above, can somewhat seem like a "second downtown"

Old 05-14-2008, 04:23 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,409,675 times
Well, then technically, the LAX area also is a downtown if you consider the O'Hare area to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City