Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:48 AM

7,445 posts, read 6,607,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLT View Post
While not one of the top schools ranked by the US News Report, iThe University of Minnesota is a member of the prestigious AAU
AAU certainly lists a number of prestigious and top ranked universities; however, it also lists a number of universities that most would not categorize as a "top" university--Michigan State, Penn State, SUNY Stony Brook, University at Buffalo, Iowa, University of Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, UC Riverside among others. Good, maybe, certainly not top tier academically.

Short of a full scholarship (financial, not academic criteria) not sure many people looking at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke, MIT, Hopkins, U of Chicago and others would have U of Minnesota in the same conversation.

Last edited by elchevere; Today at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:30 AM

563 posts, read 276,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
AAU certainly lists a number of prestigious and top ranked universities; however, it also lists a number of universities that most would not categorize as a "top" university--Michigan State, Penn State, SUNY Stony Brook, University at Buffalo, Iowa, University of Kansas, Maryland, Missouri, UC Riverside among others. Good, maybe, certainly not top tier academically.

Short of a full scholarship (financial, not academic criteria) not sure many people looking at Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke, MIT, Hopkins, U of Chicago and others would have U of Minnesota in the same conversation.
I have a friend who turned Duke down for Uga. I still give him crap for it.

Staying on topic, I'd nominate San Antonio and KC as well.

Old Today, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamThomas View Post
I have a friend who turned Duke down for Uga. I still give him crap for it.

Staying on topic, I'd nominate San Antonio and KC as well.
Yeah…even with a full scholarship ride at Georgia, barring actual family financial needs, I’d still have to consider Duke for its greater national reputation that opens more doors nationwide unless I planned on staying close to home in GA following graduation and beyond.

Old Today, 10:37 AM

467 posts, read 358,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post

What is the cut off for "top-ranked"? I assume it's going to vary by individual interpretation. For the select few pursuing elite brands like ivy league schools the list is very small. I'd imagine for the vast majority of students looking at any number of the 1000's of colleges and universities across the country, any school ranked in the top 100 would be "top-ranked". I'd also wager there's not that big of a separation in education quality say from the #30 school, to the 99th ranked institution. At that point it would vary wildly by program. In my opinion using the 80/20 rule most of the AAU schools would be considered top ranked.

Old Today, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
What is the cut off for "top-ranked"? I assume it's going to vary by individual interpretation. For the select few pursuing elite brands like ivy league schools the list is very small. I'd imagine for the vast majority of students looking at any number of the 1000's of colleges and universities across the country, any school ranked in the top 100 would be "top-ranked". I'd also wager there's not that big of a separation in education quality say from the #30 school, to the 99th ranked institution. At that point it would vary wildly by program. In my opinion using the 80/20 rule most of the AAU schools would be considered top ranked.
My definition of top ranked would be elite—Ivy’s, Select top tier public (UC Berkeley, UCLA, Michigan, Virginia, etc), and Stanford, MIT, CIT, Duke, U of Chicago, Hopkins, Vanderbilt, Rice—basically a top 25, not 100, school. Why are these elite?—stronger national alumni and job placement (such as well known feeder schools to Silicon Valley, Wall Street and “top” graduate schools), Nobel laureates, research, etc. By all accounts Boston U is a fine school but is anyone putting it in the same class as Harvard or MIT?

By this measurement there are quite a few other cities besides Dallas and Miami without “top” schools as mentioned. Wasn’t this the presumed point from the OP, citing his criteria—Ivy criteria or close to it??

Of course, not only people who live in City or State X went to school there, either. Clearly Dallas and Miami attract transplants, including some who attended out of state “top” schools.

Then again, I’m not the one (nor are you) who resurrected a 10 year old dormant thread yesterday, just replying to it.

Last edited by elchevere; Today at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City