Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 05:23 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutflyer View Post
I spent two weeks in Charleston in the East End and really enjoyed my time. It's a wonderful city I; I was able to walk up and down the whole city in a relatively short time. I also did the Carriage trail and walked across the 35th Street Bridge to Kanawha City.

One thing I noticed is that there a lot of beautiful historic buildings, but some have fallen into states of disrepair and are clearly abandoned. Is there any plan for these? Sometimes cities auction these off for pennies on the dollar if the buyer promises to fix it up. I am not sure I have the wherewithal, but I am a remote employee and was considering snapping up one of these on the cheap and trying to fix it up.
Unfortunately there's very little vision for renovating and restoring some of these structures. There's probably a large selection of properties for sale, but as to their state of "fixability" I have no clue.

One problem with the East End is that its a mixed bag. It goes street by street when it comes to neighborhood quality. Virginia Street is the crown jewel for the East End, but the further away from the river you go the worse it gets. I lived on Quarrier Street and it was very pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2022, 05:34 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
I spent two weeks in Charleston in the East End and really enjoyed my time. It's a wonderful city I; I was able to walk up and down the whole city in a relatively short time. I also did the Carriage trail and walked across the 35th Street Bridge to Kanawha City.

One thing I noticed is that there a lot of beautiful historic buildings, but some have fallen into states of disrepair and are clearly abandoned. Is there any plan for these? Sometimes cities auction these off for pennies on the dollar if the buyer promises to fix it up. I am not sure I have the wherewithal, but I am a remote employee and was considering snapping up one of these on the cheap and trying to fix it up.
Sounds like you had a nice visit. Did you eat at the East End Pub? They have some really good food there, as well a a good selection of craft beers.

A lot of the commercial building downtown are old investments that have been ignored by their owners. the old historic homes in the East End are generally privately owned.

If there is a particular building you have in mind, let us know. Someone here may know more about it.

Old 03-07-2022, 11:32 AM

48 posts, read 36,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Sounds like you had a nice visit. Did you eat at the East End Pub? They have some really good food there, as well a a good selection of craft beers.

A lot of the commercial building downtown are old investments that have been ignored by their owners. the old historic homes in the East End are generally privately owned.

If there is a particular building you have in mind, let us know. Someone here may know more about it.
I had a wonderful visit - and fell in love with Charleston, as well as my adventures out to the Park and to Southern WV. I have a remote job (and live in a very cold-weather city) so I anticipate coming to Charleston during the winter months and also maybe one month per summer. I also could see settling down here at some point. I really enjoyed the area, and in my two weeks there I spent a lot of time exploring different parts of the area. There's a peacefulness and tranquility and beauty that I haven't found elsewhere. Areas like Carriage Trail, the trail along the Kanawha River, Capital Market, the West Virginia museum, and the waterfront park were just really nice.

I'm still mulling my options - I may stick with working from airbnb during my Charleston time in the future, or I may rent a place or even buy a small 2nd home. I noticed homes don't move particularly quick - looking at Zillow, I can see homes repeatedly listed, pulled down, then relisted - an old realtor trick to keep properties fresh in terms of DOM. My impression is that anything I buy I'd need to be committed to for the long term. This wouldn't be an issue per se - I am not opposed to picking an area to settle down into a relatively quiet life as I get closer to 50 years old. While the local economy / job options leave a bit to be desired, I think I can continue to work as a remote accountant indefinitely; then it just becomes a matter of having good internet.

Old 03-08-2022, 07:09 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:

You may want to bookmark this site and keep up to date on it. https://ascendwv.com/

Old 03-21-2022, 06:05 AM

I was trying to find more info on the renovations that the Marriott will receive, when I stumbled across this article from Richmond, VA. https://richmondbizsense.com/2021/06...ng-in-chester/

The article is about a hotel that's going up in that area, and in reference to the developers it states...

"Among those opportunities was a property in Charleston, West Virginia, which Patel said Sina recently picked up. It’s planning a Residence Inn there that Patel said he hopes to open in late 2023."

I find this interested considering how our former Residence Inn became a Sonesta Extended Stay. I wonder what property is this article referring to. Could this be the hotel that is being built at the KC Kmart? Or is this something completely different

Old 03-24-2022, 10:00 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
"Among those opportunities was a property in Charleston, West Virginia, which Patel said Sina recently picked up. It’s planning a Residence Inn there that Patel said he hopes to open in late 2023."
Are you saying SINA purchased the Marriott or just that they purchased a piece of property to build a Residence Inn?

Old 03-24-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballjunkie View Post
Are you saying SINA purchased the Marriott or just that they purchased a piece of property to build a Residence Inn?
They purchased land to build a Residence Inn. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 03-24-2022, 02:00 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
They purchased land to build a Residence Inn. Sorry for the confusion.
Did you mention this was down at the old K-Mart in Kanawha City? Hopefully this will be a nice addition versus as the Red Roof Inn and Knights Inn which now seem to be havens for drug users!

Old 03-25-2022, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Did you mention this was down at the old K-Mart in Kanawha City? Hopefully this will be a nice addition versus as the Red Roof Inn and Knights Inn which now seem to be havens for drug users!
I don’t know where it will be, but the Kmart site is most likely it. I just happen to stumble across that article which mentioned the Residence Inn.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:26 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
The Economic Development thread looks like a good place for this.

The building that used to house Smith Fastener in South Charleston is being converted into a manufacturing facility to make electric school buses. The facility is located adjacent to Ordinance Park and near the new Park Place shopping center.

News stories released today:

From WCHS, Channel 8 in Charleston:

https://wchstv.com/news/local/south-...s-in-september

"In January, GreenPower Motor Co. Inc. signed a lease-purchase agreement for a 9.5-acre manufacturing facility in South Charleston. The company announced Thursday that it will take possession of the facility in August and start producing zero-emission buses the following month."

From WV Public Broadcasting:

https://www.wvpublic.org/government/...ject-announced

"In his regular briefing on Thursday, Gov. Jim Justice announced that the Department of Economic Development will begin working with West Virginia school districts and the GreenPower company to help provide electric school buses at no or low cost."

The company plans to hire 200 people to open the facility and expand to 900 employees when they reach full capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston