Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:43 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elewis7 View Post
New website for relocated Little Creek Village concept (now called Park Place): Parkplacesouthcharleston | Parkplacesouthcharleston
Wow!

That was quick, but also look at the concept. The first site plan has a Costco layout with a Menards, and the second one keeps the Menards and adds several mid-sized anchors. This development is significantly bigger than their original plans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
Menards or Costco. If they could land both that would certainly add to the drawing power of the development.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:00 PM

IMO this would be a much better win for South Charleston. This is right off the busiest highway in the state, closer to SC's downtown, would draw more business along MacCorkle Ave., would help Riverwalk Plaza, and would allow the people who were going to lose their homes in Southridge to stay put. Something else to consider is that this wont be in direct competition with the other retail out Southridge. The existing development out there will be fine with or without this development. This would also bring life to a large vacant property, and would draw more people from Putnam county.

The sit down restaurants look intriguing, and so too does the medium sized stores on the 2nd siteplan.

Old 10-13-2017, 07:01 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
IMO this would be a much better win for South Charleston. This is right off the busiest highway in the state, closer to SC's downtown, would draw more business along MacCorkle Ave., would help Riverwalk Plaza, and would allow the people who were going to lose their homes in Southridge to stay put. Something else to consider is that this wont be in direct competition with the other retail out Southridge. The existing development out there will be fine with or without this development. This would also bring life to a large vacant property, and would draw more people from Putnam county.

The sit down restaurants look intriguing, and so too does the medium sized stores on the 2nd siteplan.

I can see the allure of many stores to draw attention to a large center, but there are not that many retailers missing at what will be either end of the new Jefferson Road expansion. I would prefer two stores currently not represented in metro Charleston with the first plan of Costco and Menards. I kind of doubt that either plan will see those outer restaurants built as noted. I would move the medium sized retailers to the frontage and leave room for only a couple eateries at the west entrance. If there is a demand more, there is always the run down businesses across the highway that can be bought out and that land redeveloped. I just don't see the need for more than a couple of restaurants in that area.

Old 10-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I can see the allure of many stores to draw attention to a large center, but there are not that many retailers missing at what will be either end of the new Jefferson Road expansion. I would prefer two stores currently not represented in metro Charleston with the first plan of Costco and Menards. I kind of doubt that either plan will see those outer restaurants built as noted. I would move the medium sized retailers to the frontage and leave room for only a couple eateries at the west entrance. If there is a demand more, there is always the run down businesses across the highway that can be bought out and that land redeveloped. I just don't see the need for more than a couple of restaurants in that area.
Some medium sized tenants could be things like Old Navy, Hobby Lobby, Bed Bath & Beyond, The Container Store, REI, etc...

As for the restaurant pads, I could certainly see a couple of new to the area brands wanting to have a location right off the highway. South Charleston has three hotels right up the street, with hardly any sit down restaurants in close proximity.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:01 AM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Some medium sized tenants could be things like Old Navy, Hobby Lobby, Bed Bath & Beyond, The Container Store, REI, etc...

As for the restaurant pads, I could certainly see a couple of new to the area brands wanting to have a location right off the highway. South Charleston has three hotels right up the street, with hardly any sit down restaurants in close proximity.

The problem for this center is going to be location. It is also a great asset but only if used wisely. There are three shopping destinations located within 10 minutes of the proposed Park Place: the Corridor shopping centers that will be less than 5 minutes from this location when the expansion is complete; the Nitro Marketplace that is at most 15 minutes west on I-64 and of course the 800 pound gorilla, Town Center and everything located downtown, just 10 minutes away.

Park Place is going to have to figure out who is going to shop there.

Shoppers to the west in Saint Albans, Nitro and Cross Lanes are going to go to the Nitro Marketplace and maybe 40 miles further west to the Huntington Mall.

Shoppers to the east in Charleston, Kanawha City are already living at their destinations and if they leave those areas, they take the Corridor to those shops.

Of course all those people - like me - that live on the Corridor are going to shop out there on the Corridor. The only thing that will draw me or anyone else from those areas to Park Place will be Costco and Menards. All of these areas mentioned already have a Lowes and so Menards is going to play second fiddle to that brand. The Corridor also has a Home Depot, so double challenge for those folks to find a reason to go to Menards. Costco will draw some, but those on the Corridor already shop at Sam's for that segment and Sam's and Costco are basically the same store.

The only people that are going to eat at Park Place are those that live in that area or are driving through and there are already plenty of options in that area to serve those people. If I were staying at one of the hotels in South Charleston I might go there but if I had any knowledge of the area, I would head out to the Corridor which will have many more options and I can be there just as fast if not faster.

Don't take my comments the wrong way, I love this idea but I think the main anchors are the wrong lure. Charleston does not need either of these brands with the selection of retailers already present. They could make good additions to an Outlet Mall and that would change everything but this site - as big as it is - is not big enough for an Outlet Mall and two giant stores like Costco and Menards.

I would prefer to see an Ikea and a bunch of medium sized stores in there and then those restaurants make all the sense in the world.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:40 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
Part of me feels that a Costco would work, given that location, because it will draw people who work in Charleston but live to the west, even down to the Teays Valley. It would be an easy stop at that location on the way home.

While Costco and Sam's are the same type of store, Costco is a better store. IF one is to open at this development, I think people will quickly see that. Plus a little competition is a good thing for Sam's.

The problem with the Nitro Marketplace is that, one it's starting to get that run down feeling and look to it and two, there is really no store to draw people to it. Sure, people go up there to shop at Wal-Mart and Lowe's but beyond that there is nothing unique about the selections and the traffic is bad getting out of it most of the time.

Given the expansion plans of Menards (remember it's almost certain they will be opening up a store in Barboursville to directly compete with Lowe's and The Home Depot) I wouldn't be surprised to see them open a location in South Charleston or Charleston. I would pick Menards over Lowe's just because the customer service at Lowe's has gotten so bad I avoid going there unless I have no other choice. The Home Depot isn't much better either, at least in my experiences.

Old 10-15-2017, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
Part of me feels that a Costco would work, given that location, because it will draw people who work in Charleston but live to the west, even down to the Teays Valley. It would be an easy stop at that location on the way home.

While Costco and Sam's are the same type of store, Costco is a better store. IF one is to open at this development, I think people will quickly see that. Plus a little competition is a good thing for Sam's.

The problem with the Nitro Marketplace is that, one it's starting to get that run down feeling and look to it and two, there is really no store to draw people to it. Sure, people go up there to shop at Wal-Mart and Lowe's but beyond that there is nothing unique about the selections and the traffic is bad getting out of it most of the time.

Given the expansion plans of Menards (remember it's almost certain they will be opening up a store in Barboursville to directly compete with Lowe's and The Home Depot) I wouldn't be surprised to see them open a location in South Charleston or Charleston. I would pick Menards over Lowe's just because the customer service at Lowe's has gotten so bad I avoid going there unless I have no other choice. The Home Depot isn't much better either, at least in my experiences.
I agree about Nitro Marketplace. In all honesty, its surprising to as why that area didn't grow more as Teays Valley and Hurricane grew to the west. There is still plenty of land ready for development.

Old 04-05-2018, 03:52 AM

The city of South Charleston has begun clearing trees for the Park Place development

UPDATE: Crews take first steps to clear area for South Charleston shopping plaza

Old 04-05-2018, 06:21 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post

I love Costco, I really miss shopping there, the Kirkland brand is much better than members mark (or whatever Sam's house brand is) and Costco sells rebranded premium liquor for really good prices. Costco also sells their gas for just above their cost and it is a tier 1 gasoline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston