Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 06:23 AM

24,789 posts, read 11,160,244 times

Advertisements

Can you start a basic check list which can be expanded? We used individual posts from CD, some of which are very informative, to cobble together a q&a when MIL had to get into rehab asap last week and it will hopefully be a good and permanent situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:49 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,717,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I'm casually tossing around the idea of doing a support group, blog, Youtube channel, Instagram or vlog that is caregiving based. Leaning towards Youtube at the moment...

For those that don't know, I'm a caregiver for my mom post her stroke in 2022 that left her wheelchair bound. She now lives with me as I took her out of her nursing home about 6 months ago.

Things are hard...very challenging, but I continue to learn a lot along the way. I know I want to do something that both helps others (i.e., gives tools/tips, educates other caregivers, etc.) and is encouraging (somehow gives motivation to caregivers).

I've thought about things like doing vids on a day in our life but I want to keep my mom anonymous as possible so can't see myself doing something where she is identifiable like that. Perhaps interviews of other caregivers. Or maybe have a vlog or channel with interviews of professionals that can give guidance on resources. I also thought about focusing on just spotlighting people who have left the country to do caregiving abroad. Or maybe focusing on 'skits' (trying to bring a laugh to caregivers in the midst of all of the seriousness).

Not sure what to focus on. Wondering what others' thoughts are on the 'most helpful' place to start. Or maybe I should just start anywhere and over time see where others' interests (what people would like to see more of) lead me...

Think back to when your mom first had her stroke. What would have been helpful to you instead of coming here, making a thread, then having to keep up with not only replying to comments, but checking into whatever info someone gave you. I don't know how you managed to keep up with it in addition to working, then add COVID to it.

Next, you need to figure out if there are others doing a site on the same subject, to figure out if also covering the topic makes sense or would it be a waste of your precious time.

Facebook is the only site I've regularly used since 2009. Just about everyone has a Facebook profile. I could reach thousands of people from my Facebook page.

Back in the winter of 2013, a friend and I had just finished helping a grandmother who's adult grandson was missing when he was found deceased. We were deciding what to do next. We had a bunch of Facebook pages for John and Jane Does and missing people who each had their own page that we wanted to have one page where we had them all. Our page, Never Forget Me was born.

I was very specific on what I wanted to see for the various unidentified people I followed. Back when I first started, I had to go to no less then 10 sites to find information to read about them. That was always how I ran any page I started. I uploaded photos to an album on the Facebook page, then I wrote a narrative that would include links to directly where I got the info from. If there were news articles about one of the cases, I kept up with the main narrative, editing it to include the full article with links which has preserved some articles when the site that had it removed the article by archiving or deleting it I would then copy the edited narrative and paste it into each photo in the album so that if someone shared say a missing flier I uploaded, it would have the narrative on it, other sites did not show a narrative or anything on photos they posted. You could always tell which Facebook pages were mine because they are all like that. Never Forget Me grew very fast, before we knew it, we had 50,000 page likes. We've had three or four other people helping us run the page. Unfortunately, my partner had serious health issues. A gal in Canada that helped us also started having health issues, so have I. I'm not sure what happened to our other girl. I was on the page in February to post my partners missing sister. The page hasn't been active in months.

Back in 2014, I was able to link a twitter account to Facebook so that when my page posted, it also posted on Twitter. There are other social media sites that also can be linked to Facebook the same way.

I have not been active on Facebook since a year or so before COVID, so I'm not sure of the specific social media that can be synced with a page. One of the best tips I can give you is to figure out what site the people needing this information are on. Advice for caregivers would likely be older to about your age. IMO, you may not need to do it on sites that the younger generation uses.

If you want to see some of the pages I've done, send me a DM. I don't get on here as often as I used to.

Old Today, 08:45 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,779,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Can you start a basic check list which can be expanded? We used individual posts from CD, some of which are very informative, to cobble together a q&a when MIL had to get into rehab asap last week and it will hopefully be a good and permanent situation.
Yes this is something I can look into doing. I appreciate your response.

Old Today, 08:54 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,779,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Think back to when your mom first had her stroke. What would have been helpful to you instead of coming here, making a thread, then having to keep up with not only replying to comments, but checking into whatever info someone gave you. I don't know how you managed to keep up with it in addition to working, then add COVID to it.

Next, you need to figure out if there are others doing a site on the same subject, to figure out if also covering the topic makes sense or would it be a waste of your precious time.

Facebook is the only site I've regularly used since 2009. Just about everyone has a Facebook profile. I could reach thousands of people from my Facebook page.

Back in the winter of 2013, a friend and I had just finished helping a grandmother who's adult grandson was missing when he was found deceased. We were deciding what to do next. We had a bunch of Facebook pages for John and Jane Does and missing people who each had their own page that we wanted to have one page where we had them all. Our page, Never Forget Me was born.

I was very specific on what I wanted to see for the various unidentified people I followed. Back when I first started, I had to go to no less then 10 sites to find information to read about them. That was always how I ran any page I started. I uploaded photos to an album on the Facebook page, then I wrote a narrative that would include links to directly where I got the info from. If there were news articles about one of the cases, I kept up with the main narrative, editing it to include the full article with links which has preserved some articles when the site that had it removed the article by archiving or deleting it I would then copy the edited narrative and paste it into each photo in the album so that if someone shared say a missing flier I uploaded, it would have the narrative on it, other sites did not show a narrative or anything on photos they posted. You could always tell which Facebook pages were mine because they are all like that. Never Forget Me grew very fast, before we knew it, we had 50,000 page likes. We've had three or four other people helping us run the page. Unfortunately, my partner had serious health issues. A gal in Canada that helped us also started having health issues, so have I. I'm not sure what happened to our other girl. I was on the page in February to post my partners missing sister. The page hasn't been active in months.

Back in 2014, I was able to link a twitter account to Facebook so that when my page posted, it also posted on Twitter. There are other social media sites that also can be linked to Facebook the same way.

I have not been active on Facebook since a year or so before COVID, so I'm not sure of the specific social media that can be synced with a page. One of the best tips I can give you is to figure out what site the people needing this information are on. Advice for caregivers would likely be older to about your age. IMO, you may not need to do it on sites that the younger generation uses.

If you want to see some of the pages I've done, send me a DM. I don't get on here as often as I used to.
Excellent advice and I really appreciate you chiming in.

I indeed have been mulling over those things I wish I would have known able/been able to get quicker access to 'in one place' so to speak when my mother first fell ill. I have a growing list of topics I'm keeping on hand at this time as a result.

You make a really good point around content perhaps needing to be centered around older adults. I think about that a lot. Interestingly enough I posted about this in another type of (popular) forum where 1 or 2 people chimed in saying there wasn't enough content aimed at younger people via the avenues they are using (i.e., Tik Tok, IG, Youtube, etc. etc.).

Will send you a dm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving