Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 08:00 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times

Advertisements

My mom was out watering her marigolds when she suffered her second stroke. She was wearing a Lifeline necklace and that got her help. In retrospect, I wish she hadn't been wearing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2024, 08:35 AM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
My mom was out watering her marigolds when she suffered her second stroke. She was wearing a Lifeline necklace and that got her help. In retrospect, I wish she hadn't been wearing it.

I can understand that. I have a DNR and wear a wristband that says so, but if someone calls 911, the EMS are required to perform resuscitation. I've told my family to call the coroner, not an ambulance.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:37 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
I can understand that. I have a DNR and wear a wristband that says so, but if someone calls 911, the EMS are required to perform resuscitation. I've told my family to call the coroner, not an ambulance.
I think family members might be able to accept a DNR conceptually but if there was ever a sudden emergency they wouldn't just leave you on the floor to die. Emotions, panic and adrenaline would take over. They would call 911 or get you into a car and take you to the ER themselves. The DNR might come in handy after you are hospitalized and decisions have to be made after a doctor explains what is happening.

Even if you were at the grocery store and suddenly collapsed someone is going to call 911 whether you have a gigantic DNR stamped across your forehead or not. Everyone goes into life saving mode. No one is just going to stand around and watch you die.

Old 02-15-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
No one is just going to stand around and watch you die.
I'm aware of this. With any luck I will die in my sleep or when nobody is at home.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:35 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I think family members might be able to accept a DNR conceptually but if there was ever a sudden emergency they wouldn't just leave you on the floor to die. Emotions, panic and adrenaline would take over. They would call 911 or get you into a car and take you to the ER themselves. The DNR might come in handy after you are hospitalized and decisions have to be made after a doctor explains what is happening.

Even if you were at the grocery store and suddenly collapsed someone is going to call 911 whether you have a gigantic DNR stamped across your forehead or not. Everyone goes into life saving mode. No one is just going to stand around and watch you die.
This is true. My sister used to be an ER nurse, and she said they'd get people who had grandma or grandpa at home to die, but when the "death rattle" begins, they panic and call 9/11 and the ambulance brings them to the ER and they die there. She said it happened pretty frequently.

Old 02-15-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I'm aware of this. With any luck I will die in my sleep or when nobody is at home.
My mother lucked out and went that way. Put her to bed at 10:30 because she said she felt so tired. I checked her at 11:30, she was breathing deeply, seemed to be sleeping well. 2:30 a.m. I woke up to go to the bathroom and looked in on her, and she was dead. Lying in the same position as she had been three hours earlier, hands cold but head still a little warm. Sad to lose her, but also a blessing because she had been getting weaker in the past few months, and we feared we'd no longer be able to keep her at home. She died in her own bed. We should all be so lucky.

I was with my bf when he died. He just stopped breathing in his sleep (about thirty seconds after I said "if you want to go, just go"). We had filled out "expected death in the home" paperwork so that there would be no emergency services with flashing lights outside. Just called the nursing service and the nurse on duty came and completed the paperwork that was already approved by the doctor, DNR attached, and then she called the funeral home to come pick up his body. Very neat and non-dramatic, as he preferred.

Old 02-15-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother lucked out and went that way.
He just stopped breathing in his sleep (about thirty seconds after I said "if you want to go, just go").

How wonderful for both of them but sad for you.

Old 02-15-2024, 01:52 PM

Quote:
How wonderful for both of them but sad for you.
Yes, it was. Still is. I miss both of them terribly. Both died in March, too, she in 2020, he last year.

I guess that's what life is now in older age. People we love dying until it's our turn.

Old 02-15-2024, 07:46 PM

1,204 posts, read 933,989 times
MightyQueen, your comment brought to mind a Facebook post of a friend a few weeks ago. He was dealing with the deaths of several people he knew and admired, and quoted the poet John Berryman - “I’m cross with God who has wrecked this generation.”

Old 02-15-2024, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthretiree View Post
MightyQueen, your comment brought to mind a Facebook post of a friend a few weeks ago. He was dealing with the deaths of several people he knew and admired, and quoted the poet John Berryman - “I’m cross with God who has wrecked this generation.”
I was not familiar with that one, but I like it. I'm a bit miffed with God myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving