Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 01:07 PM

6,340 posts, read 2,891,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
But if you cause an accident with injuries, you could get sued for millions if you don't have insurance to pay it.
I did write "Instead of paying for comprehensive coverage..."

So I do have liability. I just wish a company would not pay out so easily for something that was the other guy's fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 01:29 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
In my state you have to tie up over 100K in a bond to avoid paying liability insurance so it's not worth it. But I looked at this list and see in some states the amount is very low.
In some of the state's with low Surety Bond requirements, that may be for one of several bonds you will be required to submit to get approved for self insurance. In other states, the cost of that bond is almost as much as the insurance with less of the amenities insurance companies offer. Lastly, often the bond pays and it's up to you to handle all the details while still being saddled with the dollars the bond paid out.

Old 10-23-2023, 01:41 PM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
I did write "Instead of paying for comprehensive coverage..."

So I do have liability. I just wish a company would not pay out so easily for something that was the other guy's fault.
Oh, I don't consider that uncommon. I don't have comprehensive and collision, either.

Old 10-23-2023, 02:50 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
But if you cause an accident with injuries, you could get sued for millions if you don't have insurance to pay it.
People love to complain about heartless, profit-hungry insurance companies, but sometimes those very traits are good to have standing behind you. You don't want to end up responsible for paying any more of some other party's claim than necessary. Your heartless, profit-hungry insurance company doesn't want to pay them either!

Old 10-23-2023, 04:47 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,292,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
People love to complain about heartless, profit-hungry insurance companies, but sometimes those very traits are good to have standing behind you. You don't want to end up responsible for paying any more of some other party's claim than necessary. Your heartless, profit-hungry insurance company doesn't want to pay them either!
More importantly, the insurance company and its employees have the capacity to treat the case objectively. The company's concern is to not to lose money, not lose those dollars you have to pay them every month for your insurance.

Most insurance adjusters and attorneys can recount tales of totally unreasonable people they encounter. One of my favorites was a guy in his twenties who was trying to cross a road in the middle of the night. He was not in a pedestrian lane and was very difficult to see and was struck by a car. He could not/would not accept the notion that he had caused the accident by being careless. My explaining that he was at fault and that I would not take his case didn't make him any more reasonable. By the same token insurance adjusters have dealt with insureds who would not accept responsibility for causing an accident even when it was clear as could be. These examples demonstrate people who cannot or will not be objective about an accident.

Its because of people like this that I am glad that car insurance policies contain language making the insurance the sole determiner of whether a claim is settled or not.

Old 10-24-2023, 10:56 AM

50,723 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, just because I admit insurance companies are needed, doesn't mean I can't also think they can be profit-hungry and heartless.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:01 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,976,546 times
Quote:
Well, just because I admit insurance companies are needed, doesn't mean I can't also think they can be profit-hungry and heartless.
of course they are heartless money grubbing entities and my dividend checks proves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Car Insurance