Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 02:39 PM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Why NOT lock your doors in the daytime? How difficult is it to turn the lock? It takes one second and zero energy.
This absolutely baffles me.
Because they live in a safe neighbourhood where everyone is out and about too... mowing their lawns, talking to each other on the porch, etc.

There is a freedom in not having to lock and unlock doors as you go in and out of the house.

The key is that they are in a safe neighborhood during the day where crime is pretty much nonexistent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2024, 02:49 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
I had renovations done to my house, so I now actually do know where my keys are. I have been locking my doors when I am home, because since my husband passed away, my very helpful sisters and neighbours come unexpectedly and give a quick knock as they are already opening the door. This usually happens just as I'm changing my clothes.

I still don't lock the door when I leave the house. I still have dogs, one of them a German shepherd. You would have to be very crazy to enter a house with a German shepherd. She is from Czech working dog lines.

Old 04-17-2024, 03:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 498,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
I wonder if you have issues with car theft like we do in Sydney? The wealthiest areas are now the inner suburbs where often parking is very limited. So people will park their very expensive cars in the street or in their driveways. Then not bother to look their doors at night. So we have had teenagers sneaking in and searching for the car keys to take the car for a joy ride. Those type of cars being pretty well theft proof without the keys.
Yes car theft has become a major problem in recent years. It's not just kids taking them for joy rides, we have a major problem with cars being stolen for the black market in other countries.

Quote:
Canada has become a very scary place to own a vehicle right now
Where are the stolen cars headed, which vehicle models are likely target and the government's plan to deal with the auto theft crisis. Here's what you need to know

The spree is just the latest incident in a problem that has been surging over the last few years. Industry reports have noted that both Ontario and Quebec have seen a nearly 50 per cent increase in vehicle thefts since 2022. According to a 2023 report from the Canadian Finance and Leasing Association (CFLA), a vehicle is now stolen every six minutes.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...o-theft-crisis

Old 04-18-2024, 12:58 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
The only time I lock my house door is if I go on an extended trip, but I lock my car every time I get out of it.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:06 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
I drive a pretty expensive all-electric car. But I'm not too worried about theft in spite of the recent surge. The EV charging network isn't very extensive in Sierra Leone yet.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:43 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,330,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I drive a pretty expensive all-electric car. But I'm not too worried about theft in spite of the recent surge. The EV charging network isn't very extensive in Sierra Leone yet.
How does your Tesla work in the winter? My stepson has one but he's in BC.

Old 04-18-2024, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
How does your Tesla work in the winter? My stepson has one but he's in BC.
It's not a Tesla. It's a Ford Mustang Mach-E.

It definitely loses a chunk of its charge when it's very cold. Maybe 25-35% less when it's -20 or colder. Which isn't that often here.

We don't really do long drives during the winter anyway, so it doesn't matter much to us.

Just really to Montreal where one of my kids goes to university. We can get there easily on one charge with some left, and then we stop for a short charge (pee and coffee break at the same time) before coming back home. Or simply plug it in in Montreal where we park if we're staying there a while.

Running the heater fan is what really uses up your battery in the winter. But when you're driving around in the city and metro area (trips between 2 km and 25 km generally) you don't care about battery performance because you'll always have more than enough. So we run the heater full blast when it's cold anyway. It also heats up faster than an old gas vehicle, and it always starts no matter what the temperature is.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:06 PM

1,140 posts, read 617,266 times
Quote:
It's not a Tesla. It's a Ford Mustang Mach-E.

It definitely loses a chunk of its charge when it's very cold. Maybe 25-35% less when it's -20 or colder. Which isn't that often here.

We don't really do long drives during the winter anyway, so it doesn't matter much to us.

Just really to Montreal where one of my kids goes to university. We can get there easily on one charge with some left, and then we stop for a short charge (pee and coffee break at the same time) before coming back home. Or simply plug it in in Montreal where we park if we're staying there a while.

Running the heater fan is what really uses up your battery in the winter. But when you're driving around in the city and metro area (trips between 2 km and 25 km generally) you don't care about battery performance because you'll always have more than enough. So we run the heater full blast when it's cold anyway. It also heats up faster than an old gas vehicle, and it always starts no matter what the temperature is.
Okay, I apologize for pushing this post so offtrack... lol, but one quick question for you if I may:

I assume the Mustang is 100% EV and not a hybrid.

So, have you calculated an exact cost of electricity VS gas savings?

I know the capital costs are high... installing a charging station, etc.

But I'm just curious in the fuel savings with a local (Canadian) cost of electricity and gas.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Okay, I apologize for pushing this post so offtrack... lol, but one quick question for you if I may:

I assume the Mustang is 100% EV and not a hybrid.

So, have you calculated an exact cost of electricity VS gas savings?

I know the capital costs are high... installing a charging station, etc.

But I'm just curious in the fuel savings with a local (Canadian) cost of electricity and gas.
It's fully electric and very cheap to run. Keep in mind though that I got 13,000 dollars in rebates on it (5000 from the feds and 8000 from Quebec) which brought the price down to 50,000 from 63,000.

I probably would not have bought it at full price, but as it stands it was just a bit more expensive than the gas SUV I would have purchased instead of it.

My previous gas SUV used about 10 L per 100 km.

So just to give you an example, going to Montreal and back is about 400 km round trip. In a regular SUV that's about 75 dollars with today's gas prices.

The Mustang Mach-E costs under 10 dollars for the round trip. Between 6 and 8 dollars.

I went to the Maritimes last year for a road trip. It cost less than 100 dollars to get there and back. Maybe 75-80 dollars.

Charging at public charging stations which you need to when you're out of town is of course more expensive than charging at home. But still way less expensive than gas.

Driving around my city and immediate area is almost free as I have a home charging station so it just takes power from the house. The home charging charging station costs about 1500 dollars. Quebec gave me 600 dollars back on that.

It costs about a dollar to charge it up completely at home, and that gives me just above or just under 400 km of range. Electricity in Quebec is cheap - about 6.7 cents per kwh.

Old 04-18-2024, 02:56 PM

3,462 posts, read 2,789,333 times
Quote:
It's fully electric and very cheap to run. Keep in mind though that I got 13,000 dollars in rebates on it (5000 from the feds and 8000 from Quebec) which brought the price down to 50,000 from 63,000.

I probably would not have bought it at full price, but as it stands it was just a bit more expensive than the gas SUV I would have purchased instead of it.

My previous gas SUV used about 10 L per 100 km.

So just to give you an example, going to Montreal and back is about 400 km round trip. In a regular SUV that's about 75 dollars with today's gas prices.

The Mustang Mach-E costs under 10 dollars for the round trip. Between 6 and 8 dollars.

I went to the Maritimes last year for a road trip. It cost less than 100 dollars to get there and back. Maybe 75-80 dollars.

Charging at public charging stations which you need to when you're out of town is of course more expensive than charging at home. But still way less expensive than gas.

Driving around my city and immediate area is almost free as I have a home charging station so it just takes power from the house. The home charging charging station costs about 1500 dollars. Quebec gave me 600 dollars back on that.

It costs about a dollar to charge it up completely at home, and that gives me just above or just under 400 km of range. Electricity in Quebec is cheap - about 6.7 cents per kwh.
Have you gone to the track to put it through its paces?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada