Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2022, 10:55 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,017 times

Advertisements

Oh, if Walmart wants to waste my time trying to force me to do their labor for them, I create more jobs, if lines for checkers are around block, I just park the cart and leave. Dont want to hire checkers, hire more stockers to put the stuff back on the shelves and I will go elsewhere to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 04:47 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,595,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I despise self checkout.
I hate that women’s voice.
I hate being told what to do.
It deprives people of jobs.

My wife loves it.

Turn the volume to OFF.

If there is a line waiting for self check out I put everything back in the cart as I scan, then bag after I pay and step to the side.

Every lane is open in the store I shop at, plus the four self checkouts. There are still lines.

There is always an employee on standby to come to the self check out when the help light goes on.

The shopping service seems to be going great guns. It started before the pandemic. I usually see three or even four employees doing that when I am there.

There is a perpetual "help wanted" sign at the store doorway.

Old 08-10-2022, 07:55 AM

654 posts, read 632,355 times
Self checkout is the best. You don't have to wait in line for the most part, which is the worst part of checking out, neither do you have to worry about the checkout clerk making snide comments about what you are buying, nor do you have to worry about them walking away from their station when you finally get to the front of the line. The machine is always there waiting to work. Sometimes they malfunction, but they are much more efficient than human cashiers.

Old 08-13-2022, 07:43 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,463,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I despise self checkout.
I hate that women’s voice.
I hate being told what to do.
It deprives people of jobs.

My wife loves it.
I don't actually despise self checkout, but I prefer using regular checkout and exchanging a few pleasantries with the checker and her assistant, whose jobs I wish to keep in my community. I prefer to have someone else bag most of the groceries after I have told them how I want the items bagged (all frozen together, etc.) I often assist in the bagging, though, to get us through the line faster.

My husband usually prefers self-checkout, too.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:39 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,321,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I don't actually despise self checkout, but I prefer using regular checkout and exchanging a few pleasantries with the checker and her assistant, whose jobs I wish to keep in my community. I prefer to have someone else bag most of the groceries after I have told them how I want the items bagged (all frozen together, etc.) I often assist in the bagging, though, to get us through the line faster.

My husband usually prefers self-checkout, too.
I actually prefer a living breathing cashier. Like you, these are jobs I want to keep.

Nevertheless, I do use self check when I am in a hurry or when I only have a few items. I have to admit it can be very convenient.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Well, in these days whereby students are forced to accrue huge debts just to finish a degree of any kind; let's remove yet one more avenue by which they can make an income to offset that while they or their spouse are still going to school.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:23 PM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I actually prefer a living breathing cashier. Like you, these are jobs I want to keep.

Nevertheless, I do use self check when I am in a hurry or when I only have a few items. I have to admit it can be very convenient.
Therein lies the irony; while many consumers advocate (in forums such as this) the need/preference for ‘living, breathing cashiers’, very few actually take the time to communicate with the store manager/owner regarding such. Rather, they enjoy the convenience, speed and/or avoidance of personal contact. Hence both retailer and consumer benefit, but it’s often ‘blamed’ on business as if the consumer has no part in technology and convenience.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:04 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,502,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Therein lies the irony; while many consumers advocate (in forums such as this) the need/preference for ‘living, breathing cashiers’, very few actually take the time to communicate with the store manager/owner regarding such. Rather, they enjoy the convenience, speed and/or avoidance of personal contact. Hence both retailer and consumer benefit, but it’s often ‘blamed’ on business as if the consumer has no part in technology and convenience.
I think it has far more to do with something like; while those of us who do speak to managers of stores lauding the preference for actual sentient cashiers, all we get in response is for that manager to direct our attention to the self-check-out section of the store where there are no shortage of people using that service.

We are all becoming aware of the profit motivation for the retailers to force compliance by now reducing the number of "cashier lanes" open to the point of forcing you to either stand in a long line or resort to performing your own check-out like a good little trained seal.

Sam's Club or Costco used to employ a full roster of those people with many lanes open but now you can easily see half the lanes closed with line ups at the remainder and people gleefully giving themselves carpal tunnel syndrome while they seek the bar-code-to-scanner orientation of their purchases.

What's sure to follow is having a code reader app on your phone that tallies your total as you go and auto sends to their software so you're issued a "paid page" to show to that one remaining employee stationed at the exit door.

By all means lets reduce our shopping experience to nothing more than an impersonal exchange with A/I and no human interaction whatsoever. Just one more step towards humans being superfluous to the whole process of life itself.

Publix stores in Florida are still a pleasure to enter with them even offering to help to take your articles to your car.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:28 AM

8,680 posts, read 3,879,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
We are all becoming aware of the profit motivation for the retailers to force compliance by now reducing the number of "cashier lanes" open to the point of forcing you to either stand in a long line or resort to performing your own check-out like a good little trained seal.
Point being, it’s far from ‘forcing compliance’ when even those who state they prefer live cashiers admit they enjoy the convenience/speed and/or want to handle it on their own - particularly relative to larger cities/markets in which people tend to buy fewer items, as a whole.

I’m simply stating (there’s no denying) the consumer benefits as well.

Quote:
By all means lets reduce our shopping experience to nothing more than an impersonal exchange with A/I and no human interaction whatsoever. Just one more step towards humans being superfluous to the whole process of life itself.
As other people are in the store, ‘no human interaction whatsoever’ is a bit dramatic and dystopian.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:04 AM

9,870 posts, read 7,747,075 times
Quote:
I think it has far more to do with something like; while those of us who do speak to managers of stores lauding the preference for actual sentient cashiers, all we get in response is for that manager to direct our attention to the self-check-out section of the store where there are no shortage of people using that service.

Sam's Club or Costco used to employ a full roster of those people with many lanes open but now you can easily see half the lanes closed with line ups at the remainder and people gleefully giving themselves carpal tunnel syndrome while they seek the bar-code-to-scanner orientation of their purchases.

What's sure to follow is having a code reader app on your phone that tallies your total as you go and auto sends to their software so you're issued a "paid page" to show to that one remaining employee stationed at the exit door.

Publix stores in Florida are still a pleasure to enter with them even offering to help to take your articles to your car.
No human interaction, like maybe, Amazon? Online shoppers who do store pick up and just pop their trunk?

Seems like many people are fine already without the human interaction. I like having a choice and so far, none of our stores have gone 100% self checkout.

But, as a grandma pumping her own gas the other day, I did wish for the old days when I could get a fill up and my windshields cleaned without getting out of the car. No friendly gas station attendants anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business