Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 06:05 PM

5,675 posts, read 4,081,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This isn't true though, as parts of the Golden Horseshoe aren't even an hour away.*

Second, Toronto already has a pro football team in the Toronto Argonauts in the CFL. So, you would have to wonder if Toronto could even have both or would they really get rid of the Argos? I highly doubt that even with the Hamilton Ti-Cats, also of the CFL, nearby and regardless of Toronto's size. Hamilton's team is the oldest professional football team in North America and I'm not seeing them abandoning that team either.

Third, we've already established that about 15% of the season ticket holders come from Ontario. Do you really think the same amount of ticket holders would be there if the stadium moved essentially just south of Rochester? That right there should indicate that there is enough interest on that side of the border to where there is a legitimate fan base and should be considered into the equation.
No, we haven't establish the season ticket holders that I'm aware of. If so, please post here by zip code. I've been asking for this info for years.

I know you think I want it there because it's in the Rochester Region, but I also think Syracuse is a great location as well, intersecting I 90 & I 81, except for being close to Giants and Jets territory. Don't the Jet's have training camp in Cortland?

Keep in mind, that moving the stadium closer to central NY will create many new, younger fans to carry the franchise forward
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2021, 06:34 AM

6,412 posts, read 3,128,516 times
For a facility, like a sports stadium, which sees so little use, over a 365 day calendar year, why does it need to be replaced every 25-30 years??

The seats not "cushy" enough, or there aren't enough food stands, or restrooms? Then re-model and improve, I just can't see the need to completely replace....

Old 08-05-2021, 06:48 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
No, we haven't establish the season ticket holders that I'm aware of. If so, please post here by zip code. I've been asking for this info for years.

I know you think I want it there because it's in the Rochester Region, but I also think Syracuse is a great location as well, intersecting I 90 & I 81, except for being close to Giants and Jets territory. Don't the Jet's have training camp in Cortland?

Keep in mind, that moving the stadium closer to central NY will create many new, younger fans to carry the franchise forward
We have gone over this many times before in other related threads. This article is a recent one that mentions that there are about 8000 season ticket holders from Canada: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-covid-19/amp/

I know what you are referring to, but I see that as thinking strictly in terms of geographic proximity versus thinking in terms of population proximity. As it is stated above, a substantial portion of ticket holder come from Canada/Ontario and if you move the stadium further east, why as an organization would you risk diminishing that portion of the fan base? Especially now that the team is good and once the border opens up, that number may increase.

Think about it, the Golden Horseshoe is Canada’s most affluent area and likely one of the more affluent in North America. Why move further away from it?

If anything, if you are going to move the stadium outside it’s current location or Buffalo, put it in Lancaster or in that general area. I believe that was the original plan for then Rich Stadium. That would be more of a happy medium, as you can still give Canadian fans a reasonable drive to the game, while being closer to Rochester and CNY area fan base.

As for the Jets, they left Cortland a few years ago, but they would get good attendance at the camp there. I would say it is still more Bills fans in CNY, but a lot of older folks pull for the Giants and you actually have quite a few Steelers fans as well.

Old 08-05-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
We have gone over this many times before in other related threads. This article is a recent one that mentions that there are about 8000 season ticket holders from Canada: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...-covid-19/amp/

I know what you are referring to, but I see that as thinking strictly in terms of geographic proximity versus thinking in terms of population proximity. As it is stated above, a substantial portion of ticket holder come from Canada/Ontario and if you move the stadium further east, why as an organization would you risk diminishing that portion of the fan base? Especially now that the team is good and once the border opens up, that number may increase.

Think about it, the Golden Horseshoe is Canada’s most affluent area and likely one of the more affluent in North America. Why move further away from it?

If anything, if you are going to move the stadium outside it’s current location or Buffalo, put it in Lancaster or in that general area. I believe that was the original plan for then Rich Stadium. That would be more of a happy medium, as you can still give Canadian fans a reasonable drive to the game, while being closer to Rochester and CNY area fan base.

As for the Jets, they left Cortland a few years ago, but they would get good attendance at the camp there. I would say it is still more Bills fans in CNY, but a lot of older folks pull for the Giants and you actually have quite a few Steelers fans as well.
So where do the other 85% reside?

Old 08-05-2021, 08:29 AM

6,391 posts, read 4,896,864 times
Quote:

All the more reason for the team to move to Toronto

Old 08-05-2021, 08:46 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Lucky for Buffalo that there still was a franchise to save.

I remember at the time of the first $120 million renovation, the Bills came to Rochester, hat in hand, to convince The region to back the renovation. At the time, the luxury boxes were 2/3 owned by Rochester based corporations and probably half the fans in the stands. Rochester came through and saved the Bills.

Also a few years back, the Sabres were in serious danger of leaving. Rochestarian Tom Golisano bought them and saved them. He's also invested millions around Buffalo.
I find that hard to believe. My off-the-cuff guess would be short of 20%

Old 08-05-2021, 08:51 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
All the more reason for the team to move to Toronto
Again, what happens to the Argos and even the Tiger Cats? Could there be support for 3 professional football teams, which overlap in terms of their seasons?

As for the other 85%, I’m assuming most of that is in the Buffalo area, with other parts of NY and PA after that. I haven’t seen a breakdown overall though.

Old 08-05-2021, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I find that hard to believe. My off-the-cuff guess would be short of 20%
To be honest, the Bills have a lot of competition for fans in Rochester. Lots of Giants, Patriots and Steelers fans. If the Bills would regionalize, I'm sure they could pick up more fans throughout upstate

Old 08-05-2021, 09:04 AM

5,459 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Buffalo is 53rd in TV market size. Even if the money materializes, does this make sense strictly from an economic viewpoint?
Look at this article and see which areas want a team and see where they fall in the rankings.

https://mediatracks.com/resources/ni...rankings-2021/
Theoretically the Pegulas should have some loyalty to Buffalo, given that Terry grew up as a Bills and Sabres fan and claimed that buying these teams fulfilled a lifelong goal/dream

Old 08-05-2021, 09:04 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
The NFL and the Bills want a new facility. If they can't get it, they may look elsewhere. The lease ends in 3 years and there will be cities lined up to get a team. Toronto GTA, has 6.4 million people, is a prime candidate. San Antonio and Austin are good bets and Florida has 3 teams so Texas can easily support 3. Portland, Salt Lake City, St Louis and Sacramento are also in the mix. In Canada besides Toronto: Calgary, Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver are good spots.

It would be very sad and devastating to the area to lose the Bills. Economics are a very powerful decider. A few cities lost teams because they wouldn't build new stadiums.

The ownership may want a stadium that can be use for other events. A domed downtown stadium would be a game changer but that most likely is a long shot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Future..._Bills_stadium
NFL stadiums are 100% a lose lose for tax payers that have to pay for it. The NFL has more than enough money to cover a stadium for these billionaire beggars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area