Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 07:29 AM

93,180 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

Hook & Ladder Development recently closed on its 13th mixed-use commercial building on Seneca Street

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...c-ef1362d80e06
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2019, 07:58 AM

304 posts, read 217,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Hook & Ladder Development recently closed on its 13th mixed-use commercial building on Seneca Street

https://www.wgrz.com/article/news/lo...c-ef1362d80e06
South Buffalo still looks like it's the 1930's but then all Buffalo looks like really old, poor and depressed

Old 10-16-2019, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
South Buffalo still looks like it's the 1930's but then all Buffalo looks like really old, poor and depressed
Say what you want, but a transformation is apparent.

An article about Seneca Street: https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/0...cial-corridor/

Old 10-16-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Say what you want, but a transformation is apparent.

An article about Seneca Street: https://www.buffalorising.com/2017/0...cial-corridor/
Buffalo Rising aka fake news , only talks about positive or atleasts try to find something to be positive about and also makes up false articles such as making up a article about Buffalo has the best weather in the country and make believe articles about developments that never happen because their just hear so or just dreams but the Buffalo News & local tv stations have been doing that for the last 45 years all they do 24/7 is say Buffalo is booming and the whole country is impressed everyone has Buffalo Love , no one builds or works on tall building anymore or shops in stores anymore and now A O C and the Squad are God's 24/7. aka brainwashing the dumb and weak minded .

Old 10-16-2019, 11:36 AM

1,070 posts, read 391,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagarapurple View Post
I lived in Buffalo for years, my wife lived in S.Buffalo (Kaiser Town) for years. My father worked at the Chevy plant for years.

We moved to Raleigh, NC years ago. We’ve only been back to Buffalo several times in the past years including once 2-3 years ago.

It seems like it’s still ~1975 in Buffalo. It’s a total nite-and-day from Raleigh and almost any city (excluding Detroit).

Gettin outta Buffalo is about the best thing we’ve done

Old 10-16-2019, 12:45 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I lived in Buffalo for years, my wife lived in S.Buffalo (Kaiser Town) for years. My father worked at the Chevy plant for years.

We moved to Raleigh, NC years ago. We’ve only been back to Buffalo several times in the past years including once 2-3 years ago.

It seems like it’s still ~1975 in Buffalo. It’s a total nite-and-day from Raleigh and almost any city (excluding Detroit).

Gettin outta Buffalo is about the best thing we’ve done
Glad your move worked out for you. The city has changed quite a bit in the last few years, but not in the fast-growth way that many southern cities have. As the capital, I'm sure Raleigh gets extra attention from the state government. South Buffalo is just starting to try and catch up to the changes that the North and West parts of the city have been experiencing, and at least it never experienced the abandonment that parts of the East Side experienced. There are many beautiful areas in South Buffalo that have been well maintained and the parks looked great when I was last there. Home prices have been rising, but it is still a bargain compared to parts of the North and West Side, and it may finally be getting the attention of people priced out of those areas.

Last edited by RocketSci; 10-16-2019 at 01:07 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 01:22 PM

1,070 posts, read 391,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Glad your move worked out for you. The city has changed quite a bit in the last few years, but not in the fast-growth way that many southern cities have. As the capital, I'm sure Raleigh gets extra attention from the state government. South Buffalo is just starting to try and catch up to the changes that the North and West parts of the city have been experiencing, and at least it never experienced the abandonment that parts of the East Side experienced. There are many beautiful areas in South Buffalo that have been well maintained and the parks looked great when I was last there. Home prices have been rising, but it is still a bargain compared to parts of the North and West Side, and it may finally be getting the attention of people priced out of those areas.

1975? Really? Somehow I missed seeing the flames and smoke and soot from Republic and Bethlehem when I was in South Buffalo a couple of weeks ago.

I did see the windmills along the lake, and I biked the Outer Harbor State park near Tifft after taking the ferry from Canalside, though.
I’m sure that parts of Buffalo are beautiful! My point is that Buffalo was a steel/car town for years and then Bethlehem etc. closed, and not much positive has happened since economically.

Buffalo is one of just several cities in the U.S. that has a lower population now than in 1900. Buff has decreased 28% since just 1980, and it’s still shrinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

I went to UB. I remember being in Buffalo ~2000. Tony Masiello, then mayor, was complaining in a Buffalo News article that “NYS is subsidizing many students at SUNY and when they graduate, they move outta the State.” Well, they do that because lack of job opportunities in State NY. I bet that this is still the case.

I travel all over the country on biz and I run into many Buffalonians who have moved outta town. I remember being in a conference in Vegas and 5 of us were sitting at a table. All 5 of us are from Buffalo and all 5 of us now live elsewhere

I don’t have anything against Buffalo! I’m just wondering what the economy/jobs are like these days.

I’m still a very loyal Bills fan!! I don’t miss the snow....at all! When I travel “up north” people always say: “you live in NC - it’s hot there, right?” I tell ‘em “yeah, it’s hot, but we have air conditioning, and I don’t hafta shovel the heat.”

Old 10-16-2019, 02:12 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,070,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
I’m sure that parts of Buffalo are beautiful! My point is that Buffalo was a steel/car town for years and then Bethlehem etc. closed, and not much positive has happened since economically.

Buffalo is one of just several cities in the U.S. that has a lower population now than in 1900. Buff has decreased 28% since just 1980, and it’s still shrinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo,_New_York

I went to UB. I remember being in Buffalo ~2000. Tony Masiello, then mayor, was complaining in a Buffalo News article that “NYS is subsidizing many students at SUNY and when they graduate, they move outta the State.” Well, they do that because lack of job opportunities in State NY. I bet that this is still the case.

I travel all over the country on biz and I run into many Buffalonians who have moved outta town. I remember being in a conference in Vegas and 5 of us were sitting at a table. All 5 of us are from Buffalo and all 5 of us now live elsewhere

I don’t have anything against Buffalo! I’m just wondering what the economy/jobs are like these days.

I’m still a very loyal Bills fan!! I don’t miss the snow....at all! When I travel “up north” people always say: “you live in NC - it’s hot there, right?” I tell ‘em “yeah, it’s hot, but we have air conditioning, and I don’t hafta shovel the heat.”
Hey thanks for responding - I edited my response just before you replied - I understand where you are coming from as I also left for a number of years due to the job picture at the time. I recently just moved back full-time, but I am fortunately in a position where I did not have to find a new job so it has worked out great so far. We are really looking forward to having a genuine fall and real winter again after living in Texas for too long.

There is hot, and there is Texas hot. You can hide from it but you can't just shovel it away.

So far we have had 4 visitors from Texas just to get out of the heat. Two of the visitors are actually considering a move up here (but I really doubt they will) as they got to see the best of the city during festival season.

Buffalo seems to be retaining quite a few recent graduates, judging from my visits to UB and hearing from cousins and other relatives who have either moved or recently graduated, and a few that just moved back from downstate or other states. So far in the last couple of years, besides myself, one brother and 4 cousins that I know of have moved back to Buffalo after living away for a number of years. Businesses are having to be more proactive, since there is a shortage of qualified people here and in many places all over the country. And I am very happy to be living in a walkable neighborhood again, watch a Sabres game in person, and cheer for the Bills without getting a sideways glance.

As far as the economy goes, the loss of the big steel manufacturers and suppliers really put Buffalo (among other cities) behind the 8-ball for a number of years, and it is taking another generation to recover from the loss of people thru at least the 90s. But, as a numbers nerd, it looks as if the population is finally stabilizing after decades of losses, although we will have to see if it continues.

Last edited by RocketSci; 10-16-2019 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-16-2019, 04:07 PM

Not, actually the number is speeding up of long term tax paying residents leaving WNY The Refugee's & Immigrants coming to Buffalo from 3rd world countries is off setting the population loss's some and even with all the Refugees & Immigrants coming the City of Buffalo is still losing population every single year for the last 45 years in a row

Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 PM

Another segment from a year ago about the Seneca Street Corridor...

Business is "blooming" on Seneca Street in South Buffalo: https://www.wkbw.com/news/wny-develo...-south-buffalo

Also on Seneca Street...

Your first look at the new Shea's Seneca: https://news.wbfo.org/post/photos-yo...w-sheas-seneca
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area