Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 09:46 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times

Advertisements

I wish I could recall where I heard or read that precept but alas, I cannot. Someone widely respected, I believe. I thought it was a sort of core belief, given that it's so overreaching and obscurantist.

Sometimes talking about Buddhism feels like being lost in the forest without any cookie crumbs to get back to grandma's house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 11:25 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I wish I could recall where I heard or read that precept but alas, I cannot. Someone widely respected, I believe. I thought it was a sort of core belief, given that it's so overreaching and obscurantist.

Sometimes talking about Buddhism feels like being lost in the forest without any cookie crumbs to get back to grandma's house.
And here's one reason that may be true: each branch of Buddhism is so very different.

One of my friends is the Thai monk who is an abbot at the temple I used to go to. One day when we were talking, I asked him if he had ever visited any temples in Tibet. He said he had. Because of my minor forays into Tibetan Buddhism (through reading a few things), I asked if he saw commonality between Tibetan and Theravada. He said that overall, yes, but most of the time he didn't really know what they were doing (in terms of rituals, etc.). Then add in another very dissimilar version of Buddhism -- Zen -- and you can see how confusing the Buddhist landscape can be.

Old 08-26-2021, 11:56 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Hi phet! It's not my remark, only something I heard in passing, don't even remember where.

To think that the universe and everything in it is exactly as it should be is a very common idea in Buddhism, if I'm not mistaken
Quote:

It is true, and not just in Buddhism. There may be variations in the paths, but the core beliefs, such as what you quoted, is a fundamental aspect of not only Buddhism but all Eastern thought. The meaning of it is layered, deep, and complex.

How much have you really tried? The ideas are complex, so is Physics. Neither are cookies, both take effort, study, and understanding. And a good measure of humility because you would need to set aside what you think you already know.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:13 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It is true, and not just in Buddhism. There may be variations in the paths, but the core beliefs, such as what you quoted, is a fundamental aspect of not only Buddhism but all Eastern thought. The meaning of it is layered, deep, and complex.

How much have you really tried? The ideas are complex, so is Physics. Neither are cookies, both take effort, study, and understanding. And a good measure of humility because you would need to set aside what you think you already know.
It's not irrational to think of religions in business terms. It's a lifestyle issue, and it is advantageous to the practitioners to keep it going by appearing mystical and hard to understand. All religions present with obscurantist dogma insinuating that it takes a lifetime of dedication and study to understand. All this does is serve the needs of the religion.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:23 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
It's not irrational to think of religions in business terms. It's a lifestyle issue, and it is advantageous to the practitioners to keep it going by appearing mystical and hard to understand. All religions present with obscurantist dogma insinuating that it takes a lifetime of dedication and study to understand. All this does is serve the needs of the religion.

All true. That is why one needs to understand what one is buying. Don't invest in a stock whose business you don't understand. All true.

Old 08-26-2021, 01:01 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Ah...a very good point. Interesting!

Sometimes I wonder about the difference between serving the needs of the religion and serving the needs of people.

Old 08-28-2021, 03:48 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Its called homeostasis. With us its more like septic. But humans are not "bad". Humans are alive and evolution uses stressors. Its evolving through stages. Like adolescence. We are first "sentience" thinking animal on the planet. But only the first. Think of when you did anything the first time, just how bad we were.

Yes ... its is exactly as it should be., Its not what I want but it is what it is.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:37 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
a chaotic individual sees chaos

a peaceful balanced individual recognizes peace balance and harmony

what a person "sees" is a reflection of their own inner state

Beautifully said, thank you! World is mirror of our inner self.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:44 PM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:

Correct..

Once, a long time ago, there was a wise Zen master. People from far and near would seek his counsel and ask for his wisdom. Many would come and ask him to teach them, enlighten them in the way of Zen. He seldom turned any away.
One day an important man, a man used to command and obedience came to visit the master. “I have come today to ask you to teach me about Zen. Open my mind to enlightenment.” The tone of the important man’s voice was one used to getting his own way.
The Zen master smiled and said that they should discuss the matter over a cup of tea. When the tea was served the master poured his visitor a cup. He poured and he poured and the tea rose to the rim and began to spill over the table and finally onto the robes of the wealthy man. Finally the visitor shouted, “Enough. You are spilling the tea all over. Can’t you see the cup is full?”
The master stopped pouring and smiled at his guest. “You are like this tea cup, so full that nothing more can be added. Come back to me when the cup is empty. Come back to me with an empty mind.”

Though I think, I already mentioned this, Kara. Remember, what it says in the Bible - Blessed be those of the simple minds, as their's will be the kingdom of god.

NOTHING complicated is ever the path to enlightenment. Those, who spend lives "studying and analyzing" only keep filling their cups. They are clutter, so that fine matters have no space to sink in.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:35 PM

974 posts, read 517,163 times
Quote:
Somebody said that nature is resolving the damage humans have done to the ecology by killing us off. Isn't that a weird idea ? But maybe it has merit.

Isn't there something in Buddhism about, however odd it may seem, everything is exactly as it should be?

I don't know if that is comforting or not.
Actually, its that things simply are what they are. When we say this is good, this is bad, etc, those are values, not truth. Believe me, if you're being tortured, that is not exactly as it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism