Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 11:35 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I heard a guy say once, to truly know your own langue study other langue's.

Sticking with what you know has applications. But it also can hold us back.
It is entirely upto the individual how he uses knowledge. It can unlock doors only if you have the key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2022, 03:13 PM

88 posts, read 33,346 times
Buddhism is unique in that it can be a full-blown religion, a philosophical system that can contribute much to other religions even if one remains in one of those religions, or simply a set of attitudes and practices that can be valuable even in an entirely secular context.

(Yes, I know the Buddhism-isn't-a-religion mantra, so spare me the lecture.)

There's no way a full-blown metaphysical Buddhist could remain within Judaism, Christianity or Islam.

The inconsistencies are just too great.

But the philosophy, attitudes and some of the practices can be integrated even into those religions without too much difficulty.

Old 08-27-2022, 09:32 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post
Buddhism is unique in that it can be a full-blown religion, a philosophical system that can contribute much to other religions even if one remains in one of those religions, or simply a set of attitudes and practices that can be valuable even in an entirely secular context.

There's no way a full-blown metaphysical Buddhist could remain within Judaism, Christianity or Islam.

But the philosophy, attitudes and some of the practices can be integrated even into those religions without too much difficulty.
That is why many Muslims, Christians and Jews do! Not just Buddhism but the whole gamut of Eastern thought.

Old 08-27-2022, 11:31 PM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonked View Post

That's an excellent explanation of the issue of what Buddhism is. There's a Buddhist forum I used to participate in, and one of the common discussions was whether Buddhism was a religion or a philosophy. And I think you've answered that well...and brought in that it also can be a set of "attitudes and practices" that are secular. That made me think of the times, as a school principal, when I knew I was about to go into a difficult parent conference, and I would do a few minutes of focused thinking (sort of 'meditation light') to get my mind in the right attitude for the conference.

I also agree with you about Buddhists having difficult also being a christian. Benn there, tried it, struggled with it, discarded it. The concepts discussed in "Living Buddha, Living Christ" are thoughtful and interesting, but I think that ultimately it is better to choose one path or the other.

Really good post. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism