Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2012, 08:54 PM

13 posts, read 19,650 times

Advertisements

I'm an Agnostic whom is delving into Buddhism. I believe that it is a great thing to live by and, upon looking into its various philosophical teachings, I'm starting to believe in things I never really did before; like Karma and Rebirth.

However, I visited a local Hindu temple and attended a Shiva puja. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I felt a sense of enlightenment after it was over.

Even though there are similar teachings between Hinduism and Buddhism (Karma, reincarnation/rebirth), a lot of their core beliefs differ greatly.

However, is there a way to be both? To reach a compromise between the two beliefs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:42 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
I do not know, but I am told that there is.

Keep in mind the advantage you have of being agnostic allows you to learn from any philosophical school of thought without the bondage and limitations that hard core religious followers would have.

I am a non-theist and I attend Buddhist events on occasion, nothing I have encountered has yet given me any cause to believe in a diety, but I often leave with a sense of relaxation and peace which is healthy for my body and calming to my mind.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daftduff View Post
I'm an Agnostic whom is delving into Buddhism. I believe that it is a great thing to live by and, upon looking into its various philosophical teachings, I'm starting to believe in things I never really did before; like Karma and Rebirth.

However, I visited a local Hindu temple and attended a Shiva puja. It was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen and I felt a sense of enlightenment after it was over.

Even though there are similar teachings between Hinduism and Buddhism (Karma, reincarnation/rebirth), a lot of their core beliefs differ greatly.

However, is there a way to be both? To reach a compromise between the two beliefs?
When you say 'practices' and 'beliefs' there seems a difference. In fact Thai Buddhists have many hindu practices since their beliefs were Hindu before Buddhist rites from Sukhothai became adopted by the Ayutthayans. While they are not like Bharat practices, they could be a guide for mingling the two.

Beliefs however are a different matter and Buddhist practices amongst Bikkhus would not involve thinking too much about Hindu gods. You would effectively inventing a new popular Hindu -buddhist sect of your own. Of course it might take off in the west.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:07 PM

1,329 posts, read 831,909 times
I practice hatha yoga and have studied a little Hinduism. I personally feel that Vedanta school of Hinduism is vaguely similar to some forms of Buddhism in terms of the mysticism. Though Vedanta is much more steeped in Hindu piety, whereas Buddhism is very non-orthodox in many ways viz a viz Hinduism.

I believe one can practice both things like yog and buddhism. Provided one understands the different paradigms to describe reality.

Old 06-03-2022, 07:19 PM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
I practice hatha yoga and have studied a little Hinduism. I personally feel that Vedanta school of Hinduism is vaguely similar to some forms of Buddhism in terms of the mysticism. Though Vedanta is much more steeped in Hindu piety, whereas Buddhism is very non-orthodox in many ways viz a viz Hinduism.

I believe one can practice both things like yog and buddhism. Provided one understands the different paradigms to describe reality.
The basic difference between Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism is the matter of atman, the self, that is the eye of the eye, the mind of the mind, that which always sees but is never seen. I dont know Buddha himself says anything about atman.

Old 06-06-2022, 10:29 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
I don't see how it wouldn't be possible. By all means, blend all beliefs and philosophies that ring true to you and are beneficial.

I blend a variety together (Christianity, Taoism, Zen, Native Indian spirituality, Gurdjieff philosophy, etc.) for a rich, happy stew.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 06-06-2022 at 10:40 AM..

Old 06-06-2022, 12:04 PM

50,794 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't see how it wouldn't be possible. By all means, blend all beliefs and philosophies that ring true to you and are beneficial.

I blend a variety together (Christianity, Taoism, Zen, Native Indian spirituality, Gurdjieff philosophy, etc.) for a rich, happy stew.
I'm not sure I would use the word 'blend'. I tried 'blending' Theravada Buddhism and christianity, and it was a mess. But that doesn't mean that it has to be 'either or'. Wisdom is where you find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism