Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 11:50 AM

3,834 posts, read 4,438,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I think both Fury and Wilder could beat him too. Fury is pretty much a foot taller than Mike.

It's important to say though that Tyson could obviously beat anybody that ever walked this Earth if he caught them with one of his hooks.
Obviously this is all opinion here, I personally think Tyson beats both those guys.
Wilder in my opinion is NOT a boxer. A big hitter, but no real boxing fundamentals. He really got exposed when he went up against a more knowledgeable boxer like Fury. Obviously his power is incredible as Fury found out first time around, but once Fury made the adjustments for that, it was game over. Wilder really doesnt have a plan B when the knockout punch isnt there for him. Wilder really seems like he is one of those "Worldstar" type boxers...a skinny Kimbo Slice. Street brawler. Tyson had all of Wilder's power, plus in his prime at least, still had the teachings of Cus and Kevin Rooney embedded in his brain so he wasnt just a mindless brawler.

If a obviously raw Wilder could drop Fury twice, I think the technically superior Tyson with equal power would have handled Fury as well. Yeah Fury is taller. I dont think Tyson ever fought anyone shorter than him so nothing new there. But Tyson in his prime would have been too much for Fury to handle I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 10:45 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,277,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
Prime Mike Tyson was about as close as you could get to an unbeatable fighter. He had lightning fast hands, great head movement, relentless pressure, and could knock you out with either hand.

Is there any fighter in history who you would favor over a prime Tyson? I'd say Vitali Klitschko. He was tall, rangy, awkward, had a granite chin, and had a high workrate for his size.

Honestly, I don't think anybody could have beaten Tyson under Cus D'amato. He was dropping people within seconds.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:07 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,993,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Vitali Klitchko???

You're kidding, right? In his prime, Tyson would have chewed him up and spit 'em out in less than 10.

The only "Throwback" Heavyweight Boxer I'd give a slight chance against Mike Tyson [in his prime] would be Ernie Shavers due to his above average strength.

Regardless, let's not forget, it was one determined Buster Douglas who beat an "unbeatable" Mike Tyson, possibly towards the tail end of his prime.
Klitchko was very hard to hit, largely due to his height and very long reach.
I'd give him an even money chance of making Tyson go the distance, and then wearing him down.
Sure Klitchko may have been slightly "boring" to watch, but he was very effective.
Buster Douglas was an interesting case, but he never reproduced that form again.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:08 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,077,806 times
what about a prime Tyson with a height of 6'4?

Old 06-29-2020, 01:20 AM

2,073 posts, read 1,641,845 times
Greg Page did not knock down a "prime" Tyson when he was a sparring partner. That was before the Douglas fight. As the early years went buy, smart fighters came to figure out Tyson's weaknesses and exploited timing - hard to do but possible for those with experience and talent like Douglas or Page or Holyfield. A young Ali could have beaten him. When Tyson fought Joe Frazier's son (and won), he noted that he could tell Joe Frazier wanted to fight him. At that time, he was in late middle age and it was over. But a young Frazier probably could have won. Ken Norton was also a better boxer than Tucker who lasted all 12 rounds against Tyson in his prime. Norton probably could have won. Chuck Wepner and Randall Tex Cobb would have likely gone the distance. They were slow but had very tough chins - might have gotten lucky in the later rounds. To be fair, Tyson could also beat a lot of them on a good night - but there were likely exceptions.

Old 06-29-2020, 05:07 AM

609 posts, read 349,318 times
My thoughts exactly!!

https://www.boxingscene.com/silly-ty...s-gone--149816

Old 07-05-2020, 07:20 PM

142 posts, read 83,425 times
Lennox Lewis would beat him easily. Neutralizing Iron Mike with his jab jab jab.

Also, Holyfield, again and again

Tyson was a beast in his prime but def. beatable.

Old 07-17-2020, 03:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 733,749 times
Honestly, a lot of people could have, they were just to afraid to try.

The tell in all this was Tony Tucker. I only saw that fight once, the night it happened. I expected to see Tucker, whom I always despised (he reminded me of the contemptible, though intelligent Sugar Ray Leonard)knocked out by Tyson in devastating fashion in the middle rounds. That never happened, in fact Tucker exposed every weakness Tyson had for the world to see. As I remember it watch the opening first three rounds, Tucker was doing a masterful job, but some where in the second round (I think) he busted his hand, I noticed it. Had he not busted his hand he might have beaten Tyson. I recall in round 1 he threw an uppercut and bucked Tyson knees, stopping him in his tracks. As I remember that fight is was like Tucker laid out the blue print for Holyfield and Douglas. Tucker circled Mike, grabbed him, held him, and generally frustrated Tyson. Tyson never had him in real trouble and I pointed out Tucker's uppercut that found a home. Had Tucker been able to throw his right with authority after the second round the outcome may have been very different. Tucker saw Tyson was vulnerable to the uppercut, that was a shrewd move, I can't recall anyone landing one cleaning on Tyson before that (maybe someone did). Consider Tucker survives against Iron Mike in his prime for 10 more rounds even though he effectively only had on hand.

Imagine if someone ;like Bone Crusher Smith had decided to actually fight instead of taking a paycheck and walk (not faulting Smith here, Smith was shrewd and made the decision not to risk brain injury), he had far more power than Tucker, and had all the tools to beat Tyson but no heart to do it with.

IMO, Tyson ran a psychological scam on the heavy weight division, no doubt Tyson was a monster, but he was definitely beatable. The fact a light puncher with one arm, named Tony Tucker, went the distance with him showed his vulnerability.

Old 07-20-2020, 10:57 AM

4,559 posts, read 5,412,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
what about a prime Tyson with a height of 6'4?
Ridiculous.

What about against a prime Ali with long arms like the Indian fighter in Master of The Flying Guillotine?

What about against a prime Foreman with speed of Sugar Ray Leonard?

What about against a prime Sugar Ray Robinson who ate ice cream and steak and gained 40lbs to become heavyweight but maintained all of he Middleweight speed and skills?

You see how ridiculous your "....6' 4"" Tyson thing is? That is just going a bit too far for the sake of this thread.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,016,828 times
Mike was the most scandalous and NOT the best fighter. Brit Holyfiled kicked his ass and it was during his prime. I'd say Usyk as of today could give him a beating, hell even Joshua can have a shot. In fact the Klitschko bros are the only ones who I'd say will loose and if you go back in time aka the likes of Joe Louis or Marciano then I'd shut up now since it's unfair to rate history vs today - the athletes of the modern age are obviously better than the ones 2 generations ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing