Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times

Advertisements

The dorms will take up 4 acres next to Paine College. The whole area will continue to become more urban. The student housing on 15th street. Will be demolish when the new dorms open. A research facility is plan for after 2010.

The Gilbert Manor property plus the old student housing equals 24 acres. Some of those acres will consist of a $112 million dental school, $112 million school of medicine, $105 million educational commons, $31 million outpaient center, and a research facility. Now if the city can hurry up and build. The St. Sebastian research park after the pkwy is completed July 2010. Augusta will see growth it couldn't imagine.

Last edited by nortonguy; 01-09-2010 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 08:54 AM

A growing trend as emergency rooms in the Augusta area are seeing more patients, who then are an important driver of hospital business.

MCG Hospital, Doctors and University are all seeing about a 6 percent increase over previous years, and Aiken Regional is growing at about 5 percent a year, officials said. Some of it might be because of the economy, as unemployment often robs people of health insurance and access to care other than the ER, which has to see them.

''MCG Hospital, for instance, saw 77,000 patients last fiscal year but is renovating to handle up to 95,000, Mr. Bias said.
Hospitals promote ERs to drive patient traffic 011010 - The Augusta Chronicle

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 AM

University Hospital is constructing a new helipad so patients can be brought from farther away. Increasing ER traffic is key because half of patients admitted to hospitals show up first at the ER.

MCG Hospital has the largest and busiest ER

Old 01-11-2010, 06:25 PM

Medical District from John Calhoun Expressway

Heres a pic I found

Old 01-14-2010, 09:19 AM

New indoor playground at the Medical College of Georgia Children's Medical Center.

Indoor playground lets kids have fun in hospital 011410 - The Augusta Chronicle

Old 02-07-2010, 04:39 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
I think the MCG dorms and the Heal facility. Should give the area around Paine College a bigger city feel. Paine College campus can be great. I wonder if MCG or Paine is going to get the old building on Central ave. I think the building is a abandoned warehouse. I know MCG got the old Wife Saver property.
I was going thru some old threads and old news articles and was reading about that HEAL complex Paine College wants to build.

Complex not seen as threat | The Augusta Chronicle

I really like how Paine says they won't push to book acts at the complex, yeah right! All I want to know is, why in the world does a college with less that 1000 students need an arena that seats 5000?! It's because they're planning on building another facility like the Convocation Center at USCA. If this thing gets built, Paine will be looking all over to book acts for their arena, just you wait and see!

Sorry, I know this is old news, but it's b.s. on Paine's behalf.

The city needs to look into expanding the seating at the JBA as soon as possible (maybe the mayor should push for this project instead of the ballpark), the bonds for the arena will be paid off this year, and the success of Global Spectrum's management has proven that good acts and good management sells tickets, now the arena needs to be expanded so that it is regionally competitive. I thought I read somewhere that the arena has the space to add more seats so that the total number is 12,000 seats.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,747 times
i think its great for Paine!!! after all why should ASU MCG USCA and everybody else have something that makes them stand out except for paine? I am totally for this project! small black school doesnt have to mean small minded or not up to date. they have a 25 year strategic plan that is in effect right now and the campus is about to look totally different!! way to go P.C

Old 02-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
i think its great for Paine!!! after all why should ASU MCG USCA and everybody else have something that makes them stand out except for paine? I am totally for this project! small black school doesnt have to mean small minded or not up to date. they have a 25 year strategic plan that is in effect right now and the campus is about to look totally different!! way to go P.C
I just think that there is NO reason why a college of 800 students needs an arena with a 5000 person capacity. The Convocation center at USCA seats 4500 and the student population of USCA is around 3500. Cristenberry Fieldhouse (sp.) at ASU seats 2500, the student population is over 6000, why does a college as small as Paine want to build a 5000 seat arena? It certainly isn't going to be just for it's students, 5000 people certainly don't go to the basketball games. I just think that Paine's leaders are full of it when they say they won't be marketing it for shows. If it does get built, I think it could really hurt the other area venues. I'm not saying that Paine shouldn't be able to grow and expand, but they are full of it when they say the HEAL center isn't going to be marketed as an entertainment venue.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:20 PM

937 posts, read 1,800,747 times
O ok thanks for clearing that up. I'm a bit bias when it comes to good ol P.C. But actually I think they are revamping the whole project! Down sizing and actually making it into a classroom weightroom gym type thing! I have a sister @ Paine ill find some articles and post them soon about the remix lol! Btw paine recently bought some apartment complex on central Ave for student housind! I'm not sure of the name but they are multi colored buildings like green one is yellow the other is red I think! Idk but well see how this plays out

Old 02-08-2010, 08:32 PM

I didn't know about their expanding the student housing, plus I don't really know of the buildings your talking about, I'll have to drive through there and take a look. Isn't MCG building student housing on the old Fat Man's property? Or are they going to use it for parking...I think this has already been said before, but I can't remember...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area