Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2024, 10:21 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times

Advertisements

I am building a handicapped house. Thought I had covered everything from no-step slab to pull out shelves in cabinets. While touring a house, I realized that I had forgotten something. My bathroom door opens in. If I fall, how could anyone reach me? Break down the door? Push my body aside? The plans were not finalized so I requested that the bathroom door open into the hall instead of into the bathroom.

I wish I could buy a handicapped house, but they just are not built in a standard subdivision. Even the house plans I have found are lacking. So, I am working with a house designer to adapt a plan.

By the way, my house is going to cost more than a standard house of the same size. I am going to pay more in property taxes. At least my state has a senior citizen discount!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2024, 12:39 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
What does your "house planner" have to say about this problem? I would hope and assume you hired one who has experience with the realities of accessible homebuilding.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:32 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
That’s great that you are doing that. A close family member is handicapped and they face a similar issue in finding an accessible home. I’m surprised that +55 homes aren’t designed and built accessible. I’m seeing things like narrow doorways, no grab bars, no blocking behind walls for future grab bars and multiple steps and stairs. It’s a shame.

It’s also a shame the extra costs that handicapped must pay for things. They just bought a new van to transport them and their wheelchair. The price was more than I paid for a small condo. It’s crazy. Good luck in your project. Please share how it goes. I’d be very interested in hearing more and seeing photos.

Old 01-13-2024, 04:07 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
There is no “code” for the swing of a bathroom door…

With that being said, ultimately the swing can be whatever you feel meets your needs. One of the most distracting aspects of an out-swing door would be opening it right into someone walking down the hall. I can certainly think of worse things than having to push open a door that someone has collapsed/died/or has been otherwise incapacitated against.

Perhaps the best design, a pocket door would be a better solution- from all standpoints.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
There is no “code” for the swing of a bathroom door…

With that being said, ultimately the swing can be whatever you feel meets your needs. One of the most distracting aspects of an out-swing door would be opening it right into someone walking down the hall. I can certainly think of worse things than having to push open a door that someone has collapsed/died/or has been otherwise incapacitated against.

Perhaps the best design, a pocket door would be a better solution- from all standpoints.
Agree on pocket door if possible. Good suggestion. Might be the best option.

Old 01-14-2024, 12:56 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
I'm not sure I'd be that worried about the in-swinging door. Plenty of non-disabled people collapse in bathrooms with in-swinging doors, and emergency responders are able to deal with it. Worst case scenario, they cut a hole in the door big enough to climb in through.

Replacing the door is probably cheaper than paying the architect to re-design the house, and there's a good chance nothing will ever happen to you in the bathroom.

Can you appeal the property taxes? The valuation from a property tax standpoint should be based on fair market value. And FMV is typically a combination of square footage, number of rooms, and comps. If these are all the same as your neighbors' houses, it shouldn't matter that you paid more for the house to be built--no matter the reason for the extra costs.

Old 01-14-2024, 04:12 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
You should be able to simply switch out the door and door frame to an outee, although yes, a pocket door is doable as well. I've seen handicapped built or modified homes, they're pretty neat. Everything is at the height of someone in a wheel chair. Very simple to do, even the electrical switches are just dropped down.

It shouldn't cost any more than a non handicapped home, its very easy and quick to just cut down existing cabinets and even furniture. Appliances will probably need a ramp or be dropped down into a recess. This stuff isn't exactly rocket science, any capable builder/contractor should have no problem w/ any of it.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:09 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
It shouldn't cost any more than a non handicapped home, it’s very easy and quick to just cut down existing cabinets and even furniture. Appliances will probably need a ramp or be dropped down into a recess. This stuff isn't exactly rocket science, any capable builder/contractor should have no problem w/ any of it.

As if…!

Old 01-15-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
As if…!
You took the words out of my mouth. I’m amazed at how expensive it is to accommodate the handicapped. Chair lift costs a fortune. Handicapped accessible vehicle are insane. Wider doors can cost you a lot. Grab bars are pricey. It’s crazy.

Old 01-23-2024, 11:44 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,271,755 times
My friend, who has been a contractor for almost as many years as I have been alive, is helping me.

My housing needs are complicated by the fact that I have a daughter who is a little person, and I am only a few inches above that qualification.

We have never been able to sit down on a bed. Standard beds are too high. Overhead kitchen cabinets? Waste of money, would rather have a walk-in pantry. I can't reach any shelf other than the lowest. My daughter can't reach any of them. One dear friend suggest pulldown shelves. I had to gently explain that I still would not be able to reach them to pull them down.

Pocket doors are an option I will look into.

We spent the day at Loews looking at door knobs and windows. I did not know that such attractive door levers were available. We opened and closed the display windows and totally frustrated the sales rep. Casement windows were the easiest to operate.

The adventure continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum