Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2023, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,493 times

Advertisements

Hi there, can anyone help me identify the architectural style of this house?

It is located in Bomaderry, New South Wales (Australia) and was built in 1958. I am keen to understand whether the general design or any of the features (especially the external design and features) point to a particular style.

A link to photos is below or, alternatively, you can Google search "18-20 Turley Avenue Bomaderry" and the photos will come up

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...erry-141207748

Thank you in advance for any comments / guidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 06:45 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
It has many elements of the American house style known as the "ranch," but it's not laid out like one.

Ranch houses usually have a rectangular footprint, but this one is L-shaped.

I can't offer much in the way of guidance beyond that.

Old 02-17-2023, 06:56 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,295,372 times
It looks like an original smaller dwelling was expanded into a ranch-style floorplan. What the original was like is hard to determine.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:13 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
What a cute charming house. I like it a lot.

I agree that it is what we in the United States call a “ranch” which is a one story home. More specifically it’s a “traditional ranch” since its architectural style leans toward colonial. Very nice. Jay

Old 02-20-2023, 04:27 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a.strickland View Post
Hi there, can anyone help me identify the architectural style of this house?

It is located in Bomaderry, New South Wales (Australia) and was built in 1958. I am keen to understand whether the general design or any of the features (especially the external design and features) point to a particular style.

A link to photos is below or, alternatively, you can Google search "18-20 Turley Avenue Bomaderry" and the photos will come up

https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/p...erry-141207748

Thank you in advance for any comments / guidance.
Colonial Charmer. Seems to be quite a few of them in New England.

What You Can Buy_ Colonial charmer in Newtown

Old 02-20-2023, 11:28 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Colonial Charmer. Seems to be quite a few of them in New England.

“Colonial Charmer”!???
Ain’t no damn such thang! There are “colonials”; and there are “charming” homes- but there is no such “architecture” called “Colonial Charmer”!

A “colonial” is TWO stories- the OP’s link is CLEARLY A SINGLE LEVEL.

In Australia, that type of home would most likely be called a “Queenslander”. Original Queenslanders had a lot of Victorian style. But, the OP’s link- by definition would most likely fit.

Old 02-21-2023, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
“Colonial Charmer”!???
Ain’t no damn such thang! There are “colonials”; and there are “charming” homes- but there is no such “architecture” called “Colonial Charmer”!

In Australia, that type of home would most likely be called a “Queenslander”. Original Queenslanders had a lot of Victorian style. But, the OP’s link- by definition would most likely fit.
"Charmer" is indeed a descriptive adjective expressing the writer's opinion of the house in question's attractiveness, not anything about its architectural style.

In fact, in my experience, "charming" is agent-speak for "small."

Old 02-21-2023, 04:58 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
“Colonial Charmer”!???

Okay fine, Colonial. "Colonial Charmer" will help the OP find that type of house.

Old 02-21-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Okay fine, Colonial. "Colonial Charmer" will help the OP find that type of house.
See, I wouldn't have used that particular noun (in this case) to describe the house in question, which looked to me like a pretty run-of-the-mill midcentury modern Colonial.

There were still builders in the 1950s and 1960s who were producing more authentic-looking Colonial Revival houses than that one, which was probably built for the middle of the market or those looking to scale up from their starter home.

"Charmer" and "charming" attached to any noun describing a house style is going to produce a wide range of houses in a search on Zillow or Realtor.com. However, I suspect that what they will have in common is modest square footage. (Edited to add: That house, however, has a decent amount of room: 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, 2,299 square feet. The description in the article also suggests that the owners have kept it up to date with current fashion or that it's newer than I thought it was. Edited to add further: And whatever you do, if you want to learn more about that house in Connecticut, do not click on the listing link given in the article. It will take you to a bogus website that claims your IP address was used to access illegal content and prompt you to contact a "support" number for your computer maker [I use an Apple MacBook] to "unlock" your machine. You should be able to get rid of the site by closing your browser tab.)

And I would say that the 1950s house in suburban Sydney had more charm than the one linked from your prior post.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 02-21-2023 at 07:20 AM..

Old 02-21-2023, 11:07 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
…midcentury modern Colonial

WHAT????
There are “MCM’s”; and there are “colonials”. Why the need to mix breeds? You’re just creating “Mutts”!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum