Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2021, 04:26 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times

Advertisements

I think some people will be breating a sigh of relief in terms of Gehry never designing another building like the recently completed Luma Arles Tower in France.

Frank Gehry on his new ‘twist of tinfoil’ tower, Luma Arles: ‘I’ll never make another building like this’ - The Independent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2021, 04:52 AM

14,177 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I think some people will be breating a sigh of relief in terms of Gehry never designing another building like the recently completed Luma Arles Tower in France.

Frank Gehry on his new ‘twist of tinfoil’ tower, Luma Arles: ‘I’ll never make another building like this’ - The Independent
Did he pluck the ball of aluminum foil I had used to wrap ribs out of my trash?

I'm not sure I'd say all of his buildings are "+1 ugly," but all of them are definitely surreal to say the least.

Old 06-30-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Did he pluck the ball of aluminum foil I had used to wrap ribs out of my trash?

I'm not sure I'd say all of his buildings are "+1 ugly," but all of them are definitely surreal to say the least.

I agree - some of his buildings are better than others, however generally Gehry's work is an acquired taste.

Old 06-30-2021, 04:34 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Gehry's work is an acquired taste.

Well, I certainly wouldn’t go lick one of those buildings!!!

Old 06-30-2021, 04:53 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,881,563 times
I'm Seattle and was watching the EMP building going up, I tried, really really tried to like it.

Ugly x 10.
Visited Prague a few years ago, loved the architecture, except where by Fred & Ginger took the dance floor.

Old 07-01-2021, 10:03 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
His designs have long been controversial. It’s a question of whether they will stand the test of time. Remember the Eiffel Tower was derided as being ugly in its day. Could these be the same? I don’t know, but it is hard to like his designs. Hard to imagine that will change. Jay

Old 07-06-2021, 02:33 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
I've never, ever been a fan of anything he's built. He can't hold a candle to anything Calatrava designs, for example, the World Trade Transit Center and the Milwaukee Museum on Lake Michigan.

Old 07-11-2021, 09:53 AM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Some people try too hard to be seen as “different/eccentric/artistic”.

Old 07-12-2021, 07:56 AM

662 posts, read 1,282,050 times
Gehry is brilliant or awful, never inbetween, but Santiago Calatrava is all mediocrity for me. Thrilling at first impression, mostly because of their enormity, but never calls for a repeat experience. He’s way too literal and obvious with his animalic forms.

Old 07-11-2023, 07:40 AM

New Gehry Concert Hall - Wimbledon, London.

The hall will be home to the Philharmonia Orchestra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merton Council

Merton Council and Wimbledon Concert Hall Trust are working in partnership to bring to life a new international concert hall in Wimbledon town centre".

The proposal is for a 1,250-seat capacity international concert hall, designed by Pritzker prize-winning architect Frank Gehry. His portfolio includes a wide range of commissions including the Guggenheim Museum, Bilbao, the Foundation Louis Vuitton in Paris and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. Talking about the Wimbledon proposals, Frank Gehry said:

"Concert hall projects are the most exciting for me … I love the people, I love the challenge of it … I love music more almost than life itself. Having someone come to me with a concert hall project, my eyes light up. I’m in!".

Wimbledon Concert Hall (London) - Merton Council
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum