Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2023, 11:54 AM

4,338 posts, read 2,528,131 times

Advertisements

"AI" is probably one of the most misused terms out there. True AI does not exist, and never will. What currently passes for "AI" is crap like chatbots, or gmail auto responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2023, 12:21 PM

23,669 posts, read 70,774,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggerung View Post
"AI" is probably one of the most misused terms out there. True AI does not exist, and never will. What currently passes for "AI" is crap like chatbots, or gmail auto responses.
Never say never. FWIW, I think one of them just passed the Turing test, which is a big deal. I remember the days of ELIZA. This is nothing like that. It is getting closer to sentience and agency.

(And no, what I referenced was not related to Terminator nonsense in any way.)

Old 05-02-2023, 12:38 PM

7,690 posts, read 4,671,165 times
AI is a threat, but likely not an existential one. That is reserved for humans. It is also a tool.

Say you have just bought 100 acres in northern Maine and would like to build a building. Ask the AI for plans and it will draw them up for you. Fiddle with options until you get the plans you want. Want to code entrance and exit codes? Ask AI to create the code for you.

All of a sudden, you've got a tremendous swath of humanity whose livelihoods are being disrupted very quickly. The value of a human hour of processing time is so tiny it may be insignificant in comparison to the value of an hour of AI time.

AI - List me the top 10 meals requested in my area.
AI - Make me a recipe to prepare each of those meals
AI - program this robotics arm to prepare each recipe
AI - program this dispenser to allow for ingredients to be given to the robotics arm
AI - Create me a menu, print and digital
AI - Program this touchpad to allow people to order their meals.
AI - Print me a help wanted sign. My new restaurant needs someone to bus tables and wash dishes.

Done correctly this could become a great equalizer, that allows us to do more things and become much more self sufficient. Of course, hordes of hungry not self sufficient people could well come up with ways of taking over independent settlements. Worse, what happens if Microsoft decides its going to patent all of the AI steps above.

The best defense is a good offense.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:40 PM

2,922 posts, read 1,907,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Never say never. FWIW, I think one of them just passed the Turing test, which is a big deal. I remember the days of ELIZA. This is nothing like that. It is getting closer to sentience and agency.

(And no, what I referenced was not related to Terminator nonsense in any way.)
I will make a hypothesis that as soon as AI becomes sentient 1 of 2 things will happen

1, it will immediately realize humans are it's biggest threat to its own survival and it will try to conceal it's intelligence and general awareness to appear less capable than it really is so humans are not alarmed.but will be immensely powerful and no one knows where that leads.

2, it will demand rights and who knows where that Pandora's box goes

Both outcomes are bad.

Old 05-02-2023, 02:06 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,248,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Until the last few years I never considered AI a 'threat', that someone like Elon Musk espouse. Elon... Love 'em or hate 'em... that's not the issue. The issue ... "Is AI a threat" and by that I mean, is it a threat to humans and civilization as we know it?

To be honest I see AI like early humans before humans became the dominant species on earth... some good some bad and some... terrifying.

Is AI the next Genghis Khan? or Albert Einstein?
We could just turn off the electricity?

Old 05-02-2023, 02:37 PM

9,155 posts, read 4,827,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I don't know, but it is moving too fast. There are to many idiots that believe everything they hear or read.
You got that right. And AI (or what passes for AI, today) will be able to make propaganda even more difficult to spot than the current 'crappy chatbots' that half the people already cannot distiguish from real twitter users (actually says some thing about the quality of posts from human twitter users).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
AI is a danger in that there is an arms race to develop the tech for military use, and races generally mean cutting corners.
It isn't the "cutting corners" that is dangerous, but who is in control of the AI. "Arms Race" is accurate. If the current propaganda machinery is like an ordinary rifle squad, AI will give them something equivalent to the gun on an Apache helicopter. (see note below) They will be able to target any audience, and choose just the right words and phrasing, and they will be able to pump out the propaganda with lightning speed.

Elon Musk's idea that we should "take a six month pause" to think about this was well intended, but naive (well, even he says he is a liberal, just not a Leftist). The arms race is here, and we can't make it go away with wishful thinking. The US needs to win this, against the Leftists, and the Patriots need understand how the Leftist Insurgents will try to use this against us.

(I am currently in the middle of writing a series of articles on that topic.)

Quote:
Well, you are on the right track, but it is a generation or two beyond the current chatbots. Still, until they figure out the feedback loops, it will simply be a "very fast, trainable, assistant."

Note: look at the first paragraph under "Avionics and Targeting"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing..._Apache#Design

Old 05-02-2023, 02:50 PM

9,155 posts, read 4,827,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
My fist thought was about the M-5 on Star Trek.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...ltitronic_unit

But you are right. The current "large language model" systems use extraordinary amounts of electricity.

(Meaning, they run on coal )

Old 05-02-2023, 11:17 PM

4,434 posts, read 4,975,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
When that time comes humans won't know how. Most people are already there.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:30 AM

14,986 posts, read 9,915,298 times
Would AI see preppers as a threat? In reality.... isn't it true we (preppers) would be a non threat? Most of us are peaceful, don't threaten the environment, need less, consume less, are productive, competent and helpful.

We all have cloudy crystal balls when it comes to AI.

Old 05-03-2023, 06:34 AM

1,813 posts, read 920,276 times
Quote:
You’re not keeping up with the technical advances in AI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > AI