Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2024, 10:00 AM

1,395 posts, read 2,524,387 times

Advertisements

I’ll be on my way to Cape Town at the end of this week, and I’ll be there for a week. Based on reports I’ve read online concerning street muggings, I’m going to stay at the V&A Waterfront. Sure, it’s a bit Disney and it’s basically staying at a shopping centre, but I should be safe enough and I’ll happily use it as a base from which to explore the surrounding areas. South Africa for beginners, I guess!

For native Capetonians who happen to read this, are there any must sees beyond the obvious (e.g., Robben Island, going to the summit of Table Mountain, etc.)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 06:03 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times
I've never been to Cape Town. However, if I ever do go, I want to see Table Mountain.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:34 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Must do's? Table Mountain number one. A visit to CT would be sadly lacking not going up the mountain. It's great in every sense of the word. My first visit, I walked up it. Probably not safe these days, but the cable car is fine.

Second. Do yourself a favour and dine out at Mama Africa's. A superb chow house and make sure I visit at least once on every visit to CT. (A real taste of African food)

Third. On the same street as above , Long Street, main drag make sure you call into The Dubliners . Great pub to kick off the night, and Long Street is a very lively spot and quite safe, as long as you stay in the crowded areas. Plenty of pubs and just a great area to get a feeling for the place. Kloof Street being the other, one pub there frequented but name escapes me at the moment, but check out what vibe is good for you. Both streets a must.

DO not attempt to walk back to lodgings, unless staying in Long Street of course. There are a few Back packing hostels around the area. But even there keep an eye open late at night. Any further take a cab.

If you are into beaches, Clifton was the one I frequented, but have been to most all at one time or another. Note sea is very cold the closer to CT.

You could hire a car and do a bit of The Garden Route. Very easy and again quite safe. That way you could see outside of The City. The wine growing areas, not far from CT such as Paarl also worthy of attention.

But don't attempt to crowd too much into a short stay. To conclude, I always have a lunch in The Gardens in the centre of the city. Lovely spot, but has become a bit sketchy over the years.

Plenty more can check out like markets and so on. But I think you'll enjoy The Mother City, as it is known , along with the vibe of the place.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:25 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
^ ^ ^

What are your thoughts on game reserves?

Personally, I think I might be content hitting a day trip reserve within 2-3 hours of Cape Town but purists tell me these are “glorified zoos” in which the animals are fed by humans.

Considering I’m already flying close to 15-16 hours to get to South Africa not sure I want to get on another plane to hit Kruger National Park or a reserve outside of Johannesburg. Furthermore, I would imagine 2 nights on a game reserve (no matter how luxurious it would be) would suffice for me; I could not see myself spending a week or more on a reserve if I did decide to go that route.

Would a “local” reserve give me a decent flavor of and an opportunity of seeing the big 5 or do I need to suck it up and hit one of the more distant and more organic game reserves??

For the OP—I’m no expert and I’ve not been to CT but I think you might want to visit the Boulders “Penguin Beach” and the Stellenbosch Wine Country from the research I’ve done.

I plan on visiting Cape Town next year (chose Italy this year)….I will probably travel (from Miami) via São Paulo (direct flights to CT) rather than the more popular London route most Americans take.

Last edited by elchevere; 04-02-2024 at 07:44 AM..

Old 04-02-2024, 08:45 AM

10,069 posts, read 14,940,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Personally, I think I might be content hitting a day trip reserve within 2-3 hours of Cape Town but purists tell me these are “glorified zoos” in which the animals are fed by humans.
It’s certainly better for the animals to be fed by humans than have the animals feast on humans. Seeing animals in their wild natural state should be left for animal programs on TV. For seeing them in person, that’s what zoos, aquariums, and safaris are for.

Old 04-02-2024, 09:20 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
It’s certainly better for the animals to be fed by humans than have the animals feast on humans. Seeing animals in their wild natural state should be left for animal programs on TV. For seeing them in person, that’s what zoos, aquariums, and safaris are for.
And, yet, game reserves (which I include guided safaris under) where animals feast on other animals that many people—especially “purists”— visit (and pay good money for) exist.

Old 04-11-2024, 12:53 AM

6,037 posts, read 5,946,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
^ ^ ^

What are your thoughts on game reserves?

Considering I’m already flying close to 15-16 hours to get to South Africa not sure I want to get on another plane to hit Kruger National Park or a reserve outside of Johannesburg. Furthermore, I would imagine 2 nights on a game reserve (no matter how luxurious it would be) would suffice for me; I could not see myself spending a week or more on a reserve if I did decide to go that route.

Would a “local” reserve give me a decent flavor of and an opportunity of seeing the big 5 or do I need to suck it up and hit one of the more distant and more organic game reserves??

For the OP—I’m no expert and I’ve not been to CT but I think you might want to visit the Boulders “Penguin Beach” and the Stellenbosch Wine Country from the research I’ve done.

I plan on visiting Cape Town next year (chose Italy this year)….I will probably travel (from Miami) via São Paulo (direct flights to CT) rather than the more popular London route most Americans take.
My thoughts are chose wisely. We went to one overnight a distance from Cape Town, which at the time cost around $US800 a night for two. Over priced, I thought. Nice set up , great food but a bit limited in wildlife.

Best was a self drive. But that was North of Durban. Excellent value and saw all animals apart from lions.

Quite a few places, for those with a blood lust, to part with a considerable amount of money to kill an animal of choice. I've met people who have done it. Find it very difficult to imagine the trill in that. But such facilities exist and easily found for those so inclined.

Never been to Kruger National Park. Perhaps worth a side trip?

Old Yesterday, 11:46 PM

1 posts
Check out Word of Birds, Go to Hout Bay Beach and have the amazing fish and chips there. Drive to chapmans peak and have a picnic. Go to Cape point which is actually not that far and amazing. But Table Mountain will keep you so busy not sure if you'll have time as right around it there are many things to see.

Old Today, 10:09 PM

33 posts, read 19,892 times
Table Mountain is definitely a must-see as is Robben Island. When I went a few years back, I really enjoyed taking a day trip out to the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve - it's not too far from Cape Town and you can see penguins, fynbos vegetation, fantastic scenery. And make sure to check out the markets in Woodstock for local crafts and food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa