Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2010, 08:56 AM

21 posts, read 70,667 times

Advertisements

European bakery? Is there a great bakery anywhere in York/Lancaster county that sells European style baked pastries etc.? If not is there a need for one? Would you shop there/do you miss great pastry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:33 AM

174 posts, read 503,767 times
We had an Italian bakery in Rock Hill, but it closed years ago. It was pretty popular while it was open. Really miss the fresh baked Italian bread and rolls, not to mention the cannolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaco View Post
European bakery? Is there a great bakery anywhere in York/Lancaster county that sells European style baked pastries etc.? If not is there a need for one? Would you shop there/do you miss great pastry?

Old 01-01-2010, 09:40 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,817,963 times
I'd do some long hard research before going into that business around here. You'll always hear the northerners say that that is something that they miss and they would sure patronize your business. The fact is that what you're describing has never done well in the area that you're looking in and even Charlotte for that matter.

Being from up north, I appreciate a good pastry or nice baked bread but for the most part you can get decent bread in our grocery stores and I have resided myself that there are only a few places around here (I live in CLT) to get a decent pastry. Judging from history I just don't think this is the type of business that will ever thrive in our area.

Good Luck!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM

103 posts, read 242,298 times
There is one bakery, that I know of, in Fort Mill on 160--Breadsmith. It's decent bread, but honestly, no matter which kind of bread I buy there, they taste pretty much the same. The only thing that is different is the density, maybe. It's so-so at best.

I think yankees (like me) were used to going to separate shops for certain items: the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker, etc. I think that here, they're used to just dropping by the Harris Teeter or something, where it's more like a one-stop shop. There is decent bread at some of the better grocers, too.

That being said, I think a really good bakery could do well here IF--and it's a big IF--you incorporate other things, like maybe serve breakfasty foods, or make great deli sandwiches and homemade soups for lunch, or something like that. Offer really superb coffee (including real espresso, etc.) and tea or such. I think that a shop that serves just breads and pastries would struggle.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:44 PM

269 posts, read 1,059,129 times
That's one of the things that I really miss and I'm shocked that it doesn't exist. Back up north we used to stop by the bakery every Saturday morning for nut rolls, crumb cake, all kinds of pastries.

If someone knows of a grocery store with a decent Italian roll or a Semolina roll...hard on the outside, soft in the middle, please share! Everything that I've tried (Harris Teeter/Lowe's, etc.) has just been so dense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties