Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2022, 03:53 PM

1 posts, read 476 times

Advertisements

Happy Black Friday,
I am moving from southern SC (Hilton Head), to Solandra Way in Tega Cay in 2 weeks. My real estate agent recommended Comporium, but their reviews are HORRIBLE. One star on average between Google, Yelp and Facebook. I only need internet access. I have my own compatible modem and router which has worked fine for the 2 1/2 years we've lived down here.

However, I cannot see engaging with Comporium when even the Chamber of Commerce only gives them 2 stars.

So, to my soon to be neighbors, is there ANY other choice JUST for internet service (do not need TV, phone or anything else).

Thank you
Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 05:36 AM

186 posts, read 334,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc3000 View Post
Happy Black Friday,
So, to my soon to be neighbors, is there ANY other choice JUST for internet service (do not need TV, phone or anything else).

Thank you
Ed
I'm pretty sure you are SOL and your only choice is Comporium. The reason being is that I doubt that anyone else has the infrastructure placed in that neighborhood.

The only real areas where Comporium has competition are areas that are adjacent to existing services from other providers and once you get into Fort Mill/Tega Cay, that is not the case.

Psy

Old 11-30-2022, 12:38 PM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Comporium is it. They have a monopoly in the area.

Old 12-01-2022, 10:05 AM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Comporium is it. They have a monopoly in the area.
Always wonder how this happened. Most surrounding jurisdictions were always Charter Spectrum and Time Warner. Before that Vision Cable and Cablevision. Now they all merged into Spectrum except Comporium seems to have maintained a monopoly in York County.

For TV reception in Tega Cay, a decent antenna will easily pull in all major Charlotte channels, as well as Columbia and possibly Greenville-Spartanburg. By decent I mean Antop 800SBS, Televes Ellipse Mix, Clearstream 4MAX with amplifier. Don't waste time on most other junk indoor antennas at Walmart. The Antop 800SBS or 400BV comes with indoor stand and amplifier and works excellent as a compact indoor antenna.

Old 12-02-2022, 07:52 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
For TV reception in Tega Cay, a decent antenna will easily pull in all major Charlotte channels, as well as Columbia and possibly Greenville-Spartanburg. By decent I mean Antop 800SBS, Televes Ellipse Mix, Clearstream 4MAX with amplifier. Don't waste time on most other junk indoor antennas at Walmart. The Antop 800SBS or 400BV comes with indoor stand and amplifier and works excellent as a compact indoor antenna.
I'm glad you commented; I would like to throw this by you, although I don't know if there's anything you can add:

I am currently in a house whose build I hate: the house is built on a slab, with no crawl space. The attic area doesn't have traditional 2x8 joists; it has a prefabricated cantilever truss system of 2x4's. There's no hope of crawling around the attic to run cable.

Adding a rooftop antenna to this home seems like a nightmare...is there something that I am missing?

Old 12-03-2022, 08:41 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
Quote:
Always wonder how this happened. Most surrounding jurisdictions were always Charter Spectrum and Time Warner. Before that Vision Cable and Cablevision. Now they all merged into Spectrum except Comporium seems to have maintained a monopoly in York County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I am currently in a house whose build I hate: the house is built on a slab, with no crawl space. The attic area doesn't have traditional 2x8 joists; it has a prefabricated cantilever truss system of 2x4's. There's no hope of crawling around the attic to run cable.

Adding a rooftop antenna to this home seems like a nightmare...is there something that I am missing?
Yes you are missing something. A competitively priced alternative to Comporium.

Our house has a slab too and none of our cable lines have ever been in the attic.
The cable box (receiving the line from the telephone pole on the street) is outside the house and the cable entered the living room near one back corner.

We gave up on cable TV back in June since the cost was Basic Plus was $134.00 per month. We kept the internet.

We looked online for the best indoor antenna and bought the one rated #1. $20 and free shipping. We could not pass that up. If it works then great if it doesn't wasting $20 was better than wasting alot more on some other antenna.

The only programs we watch are the four major channels. There are times when we get a black screen message saying the signal is weak. If it's in and out it makes the volume in and out and if the reception is too bad we have to mute the TV or lower the volume to zero.

I've heard for years that if you are in Indian Land, some parts of Clover and York there are other choices beside Comporium. People living within 1/2 mile of us are getting good internet through T-Mobile but it continues to tell us our location is not eligible at the present time.
Attached Thumbnails
Feedback on Comporium's new streaming internet & TV-imgp1761.jpg  

Old 12-04-2022, 08:24 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Yes you are missing something. A competitively priced alternative to Comporium.

Our house has a slab too and none of our cable lines have ever been in the attic.
The cable box (receiving the line from the telephone pole on the street) is outside the house and the cable entered the living room near one back corner.

We gave up on cable TV back in June since the cost was Basic Plus was $134.00 per month. We kept the internet.

We looked online for the best indoor antenna and bought the one rated #1. $20 and free shipping. We could not pass that up. If it works then great if it doesn't wasting $20 was better than wasting alot more on some other antenna.

The only programs we watch are the four major channels. There are times when we get a black screen message saying the signal is weak. If it's in and out it makes the volume in and out and if the reception is too bad we have to mute the TV or lower the volume to zero.

I've heard for years that if you are in Indian Land, some parts of Clover and York there are other choices beside Comporium. People living within 1/2 mile of us are getting good internet through T-Mobile but it continues to tell us our location is not eligible at the present time.
I thank you for your reply and time. We currently have antenna's like the one that you've listed. On our house, unfortunately, there are nearby obstructions which hinder reception - so we get some pixalation from time to time.

Old 12-04-2022, 11:03 AM

14,459 posts, read 20,634,616 times
We have had two weak signals today. Both happened when a car passed the house. Weak signal was maybe 3 seconds.

Old 12-08-2022, 01:33 PM

197 posts, read 278,399 times
Quote:

Because for good or bad, Comporium has been here since 1894. They were first, built out the infrastructure, and then maintained the monopoly by being classified as a small rural carrier. I'm not sure if they still are, but no competitor wants to come in and have to pay to use Comporium's lines

Also I will say Comporium isn't THAT bad. I've had a cable modem through them for like 25 years and rarely had problems with it. And once you have internet, you can just go over that for everything else (streaming, etc.) and not use Comporium for tv, etc.

Old 12-11-2022, 02:58 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,349,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
We have had two weak signals today. Both happened when a car passed the house. Weak signal was maybe 3 seconds.
For a more stable and reliable indoor antenna solution consider Antop 400BV or Antop 800SBS. Indoor stand, both UHF panel and VHF dipole, and adjustable gain amplifier. Those cheaper thin panels are marginal at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties