Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 01:10 PM

540 posts, read 1,910,284 times

Advertisements

Since I live in the Midwest and we are in the midst of winter, it got me thinking about how does Wyoming's snow plow crew keep up with the snow and the vast lands and towns so far apart when it comes to handling the snow storms there. There are so many long stretches of roads to keep up with, so how do they actually do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
They do very well, I'd say. We've got a lot fewer roads than most states, for one thing. Of course a few mountain roads just close down for the winter, but most are kept open and are probably in better condition than those in the midwest where there's heavier traffic and more ice.

We sometimes get strong winds after/during a snow storm that will close down certain roads, but it's not a matter of not having enough snow plows; there are just times when no amount of fighting with Mother Nature will win the war. The roads are usually reopened in a matter of a few hours to a day.

My "home town" is near a busy part of I-80 in Iowa, and I think I've seen it close due to ice about as often as I've seen it close in Wyoming due to snow and high winds.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:52 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,171,880 times
In a word, they DON'T. They do their best with the resources and manpower they have, but at one point or another, it's a case of Mother Nature overwhelming the ability to keep the road clear.

When the really strong winds pick up and start blowing the snow around into drifts across the highway, there's no way that a plow crew can keep the roadway clear. I've followed snowplows by a reasonable distance ... perhaps a mile, and the roadway was already drifting over again and disappearing.

In these extreme conditions, the WHP simply closes the roads. Years ago, they'd keep them open and allow folks (and the truckers) to keep going with discretion. Today, there's a lot more traffic and it only takes an accident/stranded vehicle to make the later road plowing very difficult, so the Patrol is much more pro-active about closing the highways before being at risk of manpower and their own lives to "rescue" people who should have not been out on the road.

Even when the wind dies down and the roadway stays "mostly clear", you still have to be cautious about driving through the places where it's obvious the wind drives the snow into drifts, or the shadow areas where the snow and ice can build up. It's not uncommon to have a nice sunny day with mostly clear roads that can be safely driven at 55-65 mph and suddenly encounter a pile of windpacked snow and ice and slush for a 1/4 mile at an overpass, or a off-camber curve in the roadway. You really don't want to hit that obstacle at 55-65 mph ... you'll be hydroplaning or sliding off the road in many vehicles. At night, it's even tougher, because you can't see ahead to the bad spots and slow down in a timely manner ....

Old 01-17-2009, 10:52 AM

357 posts, read 1,613,838 times
In addition to sunsprit's sage advice, allow me to offer this to people not familiar with the west:

In western states, because we are so dry, there are many county roads that are not paved. They're simply packed or graveled dirt roads.

During the summer, if you're a reasonably skilled driver, you can toodle down these roads at 50+ MPH without worry.

During the winter, some of them are not plowed at all, some are plowed when they're done with the paved roads, some are just packed down by the other traffic.

In some springtimes, some of them develop some pretty nifty mud pits. In some places in late summer, where they were muddy in the spring they develop "poof holes" - areas of deep dust that is as fine as talcum powder. When someone driving at 50+ MPH hits one of these, you can see the "poof!" miles and miles away across the range.

If you're looking at a map and thinking that the non-paved county roads are passable, or that they're a good idea even if they do get plowed and you're not familiar with the area or the people on the road, do us all a favor and delay exploring that road until the conditions are better. These roads won't be officially closed in inclement conditions, because the state and counties know that people live on these roads, and the people that do are prepared to handle the conditions - or they're smart enough to know when to stay put. So don't let the fact that one of these county/secondary-state roads is "open" when a paved road is "closed" lull you into thinking that taking the "open" road is a good idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming