Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times

Advertisements

Howdy,

There is an upcoming test for the Gillette, WY post office job, I currently live in WA state and don't know anything about WY. The only thing is that it's a job that I can test for and I need a job and a new start. I just retired from teh military. Are there any Safeway grocery stores there? How is the town and economy overall?

Thanks

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 07:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Howdy,

There is an upcoming test for the Gillette, WY post office job, I currently live in WA state and don't know anything about WY. The only thing is that it's a job that I can test for and I need a job and a new start. I just retired from teh military. Are there any Safeway grocery stores there? How is the town and economy overall?

Thanks

Tony
Tony,
First of all, Thank You for your service to our country. It is truly a blessing to live in the U.S.A., and that is largely due to the sacrifices made by our men and women in Uniform. Thank you again!

There has been quite a bit of discussion on this forum about the lack of housing in the Gillette area, due to the current energy boom. It sounds like salaries are good to excellent, but are offset by the relatively high cost of housing in the area. I would look into the housing issue if I were you, and if you can find a reasonable place, it may be worth making the move. You can search the Wyoming forum to see what others have said about Gillette, if you want to get more info about it.

I also checked the Safeway website, and there is no listing for a store there. It looks like the closest stores are in either Sheridan or Casper.

-Joe

Old 03-06-2007, 02:42 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,006,380 times
Thanks Joe,

Energy boom, are they drilling for oil up there? I do remember reading something about the price of housing shooting up. I'm just looking for a job and a reasonable place to live.

Tony

Old 03-06-2007, 03:12 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,151 times
Default Gillette - boom

Quote:
Thanks Joe,

Energy boom, are they drilling for oil up there? I do remember reading something about the price of housing shooting up. I'm just looking for a job and a reasonable place to live.

Tony
There are oil wells, CBM (coal bed methane) wells, and several coal mines in Gillette. Housing is more expensive in Gillette than in other parts of WY but it's not out-of-sight. Rentals are very hard to find however. Here is the website of the newspaper in Gillette: www.gillettenewsrecord.com Also, check realtor websites to get a feel for housing prices.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:05 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Don't hold your breath re a job opening in the post office in Gillette.

I was in our local post office yesterday and they had a notice for testing. I asked our postmaster about it and he said it was a qualification test just to bring the "waiting list" current, and there were no job openings now or in the foreseeable future in most of the area's county post offices.

Our last postmaster held the job for over 30 years. Our new postmaster has been here for only 7 years and is 40 years old; I expect he'll be around for long time. Our mail carriers are also long term employees and none are even thinking about retiring ... the income helps out for the family farms/ranches.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:08 AM

1 posts, read 4,289 times
The town is small and friendly, but I haven't seen it for 10 years until I went up there for my nephew's wedding in April 2007 and I couldn't believe how much it had grown. I was shocked with some of the stores that they had there. The economy is supported by the coal mines and oil fields, so I feel the economy is booming. I don't think that they have a Safeway there, but they do have a Smiths, Albertsons ( I think ) and they are both very good stores. I currently live in Salt Lake City, UT and am contemplating moving to Gillette to be closer to family.

Good Luck!

JoAnne

Quote:
Howdy,

Thanks

Tony

Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 AM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Gillette is a coal boom town. I remember when I graduated from UW and moved there just as the boom was starting in 1976 due to a great need for social/human service workers. I was a family social worker for the Gillette Police Dept.

If Campbell County was a country it would be 5th in the world for coal reserves. The coal in the Powder River Basin is mined by open surface rather than deep mines like back in Kentucky which is alot safer and the coal has less sulfer so it's better for the environment. You should see the size of the trucks they use to transport the coal from the open pits to the railroad silos.

It's not the prettiest or the easiest place to live but the people there were awesome.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:58 PM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Gillette is a great town and Campbell county is literally a solid chunk of low-sulfur coal that is 120 miles long and 80 miles wide. The economy is booming.

As others have noted, housing is scarce and expensive, but jobs are plentiful.

Have you considered the Cheyenne area? Jobs are also plentiful, and as a retiree you'd be closer to the hospital, BX and Commissary of F E Warren AFB.

Check out: https://www.wyomingatwork.com/default.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming