Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 AM

3 posts, read 18,665 times

Advertisements

I am comparing costs for WY and SD. Specifically, license for an old(85) camper(think school bus). At GVW of 32T it looks to me from the tables that license will be around $1,400/Year. Is this a correct ballpark figure? Also, are there any other taxes, fees, license that would be required? Currently, in Indiana, the plates are only $50. but then there is the $800/year personal property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 08:27 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Wyoming vehicle registration is based upon the NADA guide valuation of the new "list" price of the vehicle, not the GVW. The valuation will remain the same, but the ownership tax rate will go down over time.

Added to the ownership tax is a nominal county registration fee.

If the 1985 vehicle was around $20,000 new, then it would be around $150 to license it in Laramie county ... if the figures for my Ford F-250Diesel PU are any indication.

I have a neighbor with a 1970's Bluebird school bus with a gas motor in it, about 24 seater ... probably smaller than your rig ... and he pays around $100/year to license it.

Keep in mind that there's no state income tax here, and property taxes are low compared to most states. So the license fees are more than offset by the low overall effective tax rates.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:11 AM

My current best guess shows SD total taxes at about half of Indiana and WY at about 60%, mostly on the basis of the bus license. The original cost in 1985 was about $385,000. (not to me )

I also saw something in another thread about listing farming equipment in WY. Is this only for commercial activity or would "farm" equipment on small acres(10-20) also have taxes? I have a MF431 tractor/backhoe, small trailers, etc.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM

Best to get ahold of an NADA guidebook for your vehicle, or some other documentation for the original manufacturer's retail price for the vehicle. Your $385K price sounds like a finished out camper vehicle on a bus chassis, not a "school bus". If the vehicle manufacturer is listed as a "school bus" (GMC, Ford, etc) , then the licensing valuation may be a lot less. You can call any Wyoming County Treasurer's office and ask them what they'd estimate the license fee will be without making a commitment to license the vehicle.

"Small Farms" in Wyoming must pass a production test to qualify as a farm for property taxes and equipment use. It involves a minimum sales amount of product or capability. Typically, 10-20 acres will not qualify as a Farm, but will be some residential category.

A "farm" qualified property files a yearly equipment schedule for equipment ownership taxes. The form includes purchase price, date of acquisition, etc. The county assessor will determine a "fair" depreciated value and ownership tax will be collected each year as part of the equipment used in production.

In my estimation, you'd need to be farming at least 120 acres before meeting the means testing to qualify as a "farm".

So, if you're on 10-20 acres, you'd only pay sales tax on equipment purchase. You won't be using it for exempt "production" on your residential property, which will be taxed at residential property rates.

For reference, a really "good" producing hayfield in this area yields 4, maybe 5 tons, tops, per acre on irrigated ground. Even at current "premium" drought area sales, at $200/ton this winter ... you won't have enough sales volume to meet the farming test. Normally, that hay is worth about $80-100 per ton for 175 RFV and 18% protein (dairy quality). "cow quality" hay is worth a lot less. It's unlikely that you'd have good irrigated land in only a 10-20 acre parcel; you cannot use "domestic" water wells to irrigate it, or justify the water expense if you're on a municipal water system ($$ per 1000 gallons).

Small trailers will require registration for a license plate at a very nominal fee, but are not "titled" in Wyoming.

If you use your backhoe for commercial purposes, it will be ownership taxed as "production equipment". In many municipalites, you will need a business or contractor license to do this type of work.

Old 02-15-2007, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the info

I don't want to "farm" or do commercial, but since I already have some equipment it comes in handy around the house/lot. On the other hand, I would have to sharpen my pencil on the numbers to haul "stuff" that far.

I looked at parts of WY last year, Pinedale, Jackson, Lander, Casper. This year I am going to look at the arc around the BH, starting at Guernsey, Lusk, Newcastle, Four Corners, Hulett and Spearfish. On the way back I want to look at New Castle to Custer and then south to the NE line.

Last year we saved $.25/gal on diesel at Torrington compared to the FlyingJ at Casper. I hope they are cheap again this year!

We are looking for a "Home base" for the bus/RV. Lots of people just build a parking spot with some utilities but we need to have a place for storage of some stuff.

Shame I can't bring you some hay. There are big round bales all around here that people don't use. It will probably be tighter next year because they will probably plow everything that doesn't have something sitting on it to plant corn. $$$$$ My neighbor feeds bison and he is already seeing tightening.

Old 02-15-2007, 03:45 PM

You can check Wyoming gasoline or diesel fuel prices at wyominggasonline.

The site lists what people report for posted fuel prices in each area.

They cover many states, so you can search for best prices along your route of travel.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:30 PM

24 posts, read 110,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You can check Wyoming gasoline or diesel fuel prices at wyominggasonline.

The site lists what people report for posted fuel prices in each area.

They cover many states, so you can search for best prices along your route of travel.
That's http://wyominggasprices.com/

sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming