Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:42 PM

213 posts, read 764,998 times

Advertisements

Looking at ranch property about 8 miles northeast of Lusk. Would appreciate any current information on the area from anyone who may be familiar with any water problems, friendliness of the locals, wind problems, snow problems, etc. I know Wyoming is known for windy conditions in most of the state and the occasional times of being snowbound for a couple of days in some parts depending on snow storm severity. Thanks in advance for information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 11:11 AM

144 posts, read 627,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by igloo View Post
Looking at ranch property about 8 miles northeast of Lusk. Would appreciate any current information on the area from anyone who may be familiar with any water problems, friendliness of the locals, wind problems, snow problems, etc. I know Wyoming is known for windy conditions in most of the state and the occasional times of being snowbound for a couple of days in some parts depending on snow storm severity. Thanks in advance for information.
Lusk is very small, and if you're living 8 miles NE of town, you won't have many problems with the neighbors

Weather, is generally windy and poor. Theres something about the terrain and the prevailing winds that seems to channel a lot of snow there. As for the water. I know that the drinking water in town is pretty bad, but you'll have to test the water on your own property. While we're on the subject, you need to THOROUGHLY acquaint yourself with Wyoming's mineral and water laws, as there may be many things on "your" ranch that don't belong to you. Many newcomers find this out the hard way.

The town itself has few amenities-- a single small grocery, a hardware store, two gas stations, a convenience store, and a few restaurants and bars-- generally enough for immediate needs, but you'll be going to Douglas or Casper for much of your shopping and entertainment.

The major employers are the local government (Lusk is the county seat) and the Wyoming Womens' prison, which hires a goodly number of out-of-staters (but most of them quit almost immediately and move away). Often the men like Lusk, but their wives object to the lack of shopping.

The other newcomers are black bears, several of which have been sighted in town after being gone for many decades. Some of the locals speculate that the re-introduction of wolves into the western part of the state has caused competitive pressures that are forcing bears into new areas.

The townspeople are not unfriendly, but some of them are a bit clannish, so you will have to earn their trust and friendship. Joining a church or fraternal group usually helps.

There is some good news-- the town may be entering a boom cycle for oil, methane and uranium extraction, so there may be a lot of other new folks coming to town. I've heard the a local rancher who is descended from the original pioneers (and thus actually has mineral rights on his own property) is selling out for many millions of $$.

Best food in town (IMO) is the Outpost truck stop on the southern edge of town.

Good luck, and welcome to Wyoming.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM

47 posts, read 182,524 times
What is the hunting like in the Lusk area?

Old 08-05-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehu View Post
What is the hunting like in the Lusk area?
Excellent!!

Old 08-05-2008, 11:55 PM

47 posts, read 182,524 times
I am in Lusk right now. Just passing through. Windy, but I like it.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,224 times
Whatever happened to the effort to resurrect the Lusk hospital and get it operational again? I interviewed there once for the CEO position and have never forgotten the kind hospitality of the people or the potential for a good working community acute care hospital of a critical access nature. Thanks for any update.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcbride7 View Post
Whatever happened to the effort to resurrect the Lusk hospital and get it operational again? I interviewed there once for the CEO position and have never forgotten the kind hospitality of the people or the potential for a good working community acute care hospital of a critical access nature. Thanks for any update.
I don't know the details, but they are resurrecting medical service, with 1 MD on hand and reportedly 2 more on the way. They are looking for additional medical professionals, according to wyomingatwork.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:17 PM

54 posts, read 182,745 times
My husband and I (both NPs) will be traveling to Lusk from MS in March for an interview with the hospital. We have a 9 year old son, who will be coming with us to check out the schools. Looks like there is no place to rent, so we are going to buy something. So we will be checking out places to live as well. We already live in a really small town pop 454. We love hunting and fishing. Are there easily accessible areas for the public to hunt? We hunt on our prop here in MS, so have never really had to deal with finding places to hunt. I am really looking forward to visiting Lusk and really hope we get to move!!

Old 02-09-2009, 04:45 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,589,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatCooper View Post
My husband and I (both NPs) will be traveling to Lusk from MS in March for an interview with the hospital. We have a 9 year old son, who will be coming with us to check out the schools. Looks like there is no place to rent, so we are going to buy something. So we will be checking out places to live as well. We already live in a really small town pop 454. We love hunting and fishing. Are there easily accessible areas for the public to hunt? We hunt on our prop here in MS, so have never really had to deal with finding places to hunt. I am really looking forward to visiting Lusk and really hope we get to move!!
You're in luck in that the Thunder Basin National Grassland covers a lot of area not far from Lusk, and provides opportunities for hunting. The National Forests in the area will also provide plenty of hunting opportunities.

Here's some info from the USFS about the area:
USDA Forest Service, Medicine Bow & Routt National Forests, Thunder Basin National Grassland - Home

Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,421 times
well i fell in love with the town when i was there in 08. i will be moving there when i get out of the army. i have 70 acr's. 30 miles north of town. i hope for a lot of snow and good hunting when i get there. the people are the best. i called from augusta ga. last year to the hardware store and asked them about the weather. the lady whent out side and gave me a greate weather report. the town rolls up about 9 or 10 at night when i was there and the silver daller bar had the best steaks in town. cant wate to get out there and live in the heart of gods country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming