Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 12:39 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,255,112 times

Advertisements

Was checking out the stores on the web site for Thayne and noticed the Pamida store. I had heard of them and was reading about how they are in small communities, and more than 200 stores throughout 17 states. When i Clicked on the more information it changed to Shopko?
I take Pamida is now Shopko?
Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 05:39 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Shopko bought out Pamida in 2012, and they have been converting the retail storefronts a few at a time.

I've seen the "Pamida going out of business" sales signage at Lander and a couple of other Wyoming towns, with a minimal disruption of change-over to re-stock/re-brand with Shopko merchandise/displays, open up a pharmacy, etc.

IMO, Shopko has more aggressive merchandising/displays and perhaps a wider selection of merchandise than Pamida, especially with the pharmacy dept. Still targeted to a rural general stores concept, but I think it's not up to the standard/variety that you'll see in most of the Big R/Murdoch's in the region.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Shopko bought out Pamida in 2012, and they have been converting the retail storefronts a few at a time.

I've seen the "Pamida going out of business" sales signage at Lander and a couple of other Wyoming towns, with a minimal disruption of change-over to re-stock/re-brand with Shopko merchandise/displays, open up a pharmacy, etc.

IMO, Shopko has more aggressive merchandising/displays and perhaps a wider selection of merchandise than Pamida, especially with the pharmacy dept. Still targeted to a rural general stores concept, but I think it's not up to the standard/variety that you'll see in most of the Big R/Murdoch's in the region.
Thanks sunsprit.
Went to Big R/Murdoc home page nice!
Looks like a road trip to the closest store or order through mail. Like they have Carhart out door Clothes. I wear Carhart work pants at work. They a rugged and last a long time. Looks like a long list of tools also.
Thanks for the tip. Sunsprit
Scott

Old 02-20-2014, 07:49 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Was just a Pamida Pharmacy in Thayne , Till ShopKo bought them out , they covered the sign in plastic and kept it open till the big new Shopko opened in Afton Last December.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:44 PM

Thanks Jody. We have Longs drug store out here, all over the place. Longs doesn't have a lot of furniture, but a lot of little nick nacts, munchies, that people like for their homes and can't find in the big box stores. They and sell dairy products, milk, eggs if you need it late at night, a variety non-perishable foods. Longs also has a CVS Pharmacy where everyone can get their Prescriptions filled. From what i read on line about Shoko them sounds like it will be Similar, to Longs, but seems they have more of a Variety of products to choose from with a Pharmacy and optical which is good to know.
Scott

Old 02-21-2014, 06:40 AM

382 posts, read 937,097 times
Scott you may be in for a bit of a shock here in Star Valley.

Three grocery stores. Only the one in Alpine is open on Sundays. Most businesses are closed Sunday, including all the hardware stores. Shopko is open Sunday, a new thing for Afton but the pharmacy is not.

It is not a shopping Mecca and many people go to Idaho Falls quite often. Not always a nice trip in the winter.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintersspouse View Post
Scott you may be in for a bit of a shock here in Star Valley.

Three grocery stores. Only the one in Alpine is open on Sundays. Most businesses are closed Sunday, including all the hardware stores. Shopko is open Sunday, a new thing for Afton but the pharmacy is not.

It is not a shopping Mecca and many people go to Idaho Falls quite often. Not always a nice trip in the winter.
Thank you paintersspouse for the warning on the 3 grocery stores closed on Sundays. Actually i am looking forward to get out of the rate race here in Honolulu, and getting to a slower paced area. I'll just have to plan my trips to IF for bigger bulk items, and stock up on non-perishable food and watch for the weather of course.
Thinking of ordering on-line, non-military MER meals for emergencies, that will last a long time if you don't open the package. They are actually pretty good, but the down side lots of calories.
Appreciate the information.
Scott

Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
even closer then the City of IF , Montpelier we get wood pellets just west at OVID and we get feed, cake , and other livestock feed at Walton feed but they also have rainy day foods , we get storage wheat there plus other storage foods. Rainy Day Foods a division of Walton Feed-Food Storage, Emergency Preparedness, Emergency Supplies

Old 02-21-2014, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
even closer then the City of IF , Montpelier we get wood pellets just west at OVID and we get feed, cake , and other livestock feed at Walton feed but they also have rainy day foods , we get storage wheat there plus other storage foods. Rainy Day Foods a division of Walton Feed-Food Storage, Emergency Preparedness, Emergency Supplies
Wow Jody, pretty good information about rainy day foods, and about Montpelier ID for wood pellets and other supplies. Was looking at the on-line link, in your post.
I'll have to learn to bake some cake and cookies, better than now, or better yet the wife can bake. I used to bake when younger, would like to get back to baking again. Learned in cooking (baking) class in High school back in the day when schools had these kind of classes to take as electives, like metal, wood and Auto shop, which we had to take as electives back in the day.
I don't believe that High schools have those classes like that now days? At least out here in Hawaii on Oahu they don't. The city cut the school budgets and a lot of those classes went away. I might be wrong about that though, on the mainland.
Thanks again for the link.
Scott
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming