Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:44 PM

448 posts, read 1,198,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Some of the best wine I've had was made from rhubarb and watermelon.
Sounds delicious, EH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 04:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
Apparently, it's possible. Cody has a winery here that opened in November, 2011 and is quite successful from all reports - Buffalo Jump Wines.
They import their grapes.

The only grape that will grow well here is the Valiant. It is a good eating grape but a terrible wine grape. Some wineries do mix it with other grapes to make wine. Dosent make it good wine.

There are other wine grade grapes that grow but you have a 50/50 chance of losing your crop due to early frost.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:28 PM

No terrible wine grape bud, but understand your point for sure; LOL

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,225,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin'toasquarestate View Post
No terrible wine grape bud, but understand your point for sure; LOL
I agree with you. But there are many terrible wines. Usually made from terrible grapes. Thunderbird or a swig of Ripple anyone.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
I agree with you. But there are many terrible wines. Usually made from terrible grapes. Thunderbird or a swig of Ripple anyone.
Or Night Train Express. I understand that Tuesday was a good year.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Just gotta' use the imagination a bit when swiggin on this kinda' stuff; I consistently return to Franzia boxed Chillable red, however!

See ya!

Last edited by Goin'toasquarestate; 06-14-2012 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 AM

3,648 posts, read 6,285,688 times
"Most Italians would buy between one-half to three ton of wine grapes each year. A ton of grapes in the early 30's cost thirty-five dollars but this cost escalated to sixty dollars. The cost became too high for my dad. Wine was usually made into three grades, namely: the first wine was served at the table or to your best friends who you wanted to impress, the second wine was served to friends when they were about half crocked, and the third wine which you served when you wanted the party to break up. My mother would also make and bottle beer. I can still recall the heating of the beer ingredients on the stove in a very large copper tub. Bottling the beer was a family chore.

One year one Italian family discarded the residue from the grapes (after the grape juice was extracted) into an open ditch near their home but did not cover it up with dirt. The Easton cows found the residue after it had fermented in the sun. The feast caused them to get very drunk to the point that they couldn't walk. They became deathly sick and their stomachs became distended. They finally recovered but the milk was blood red for a few days"

Oakley

was trying to find the story about tain loads of grapes that were shipped to Rock Springs and Kemmerer and the miners made wine

Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 2,458 times
Default Wine in Wyoming: Beautiful Grapes

I own a small nursery just west of Casper and I have two varieties of wine grape that do really well here: Valient (which is a cultivar of the wild Concord grape) and Reliance which is a red grape. I use them in hedgerows and they spread so perfectly over the fence in my private garden. The four-year-old vines look like something out of a classic Italian villa or vineyard. Very cool...
Attached Thumbnails
Winemaking in Wyoming?-raspberries-grapes.jpg  

Old 07-31-2012, 03:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
Ag technology has greatly advanced things, wine grapes are no exception. Here in Vermont 20 years ago no wine grapes were feasible. Now with hybrid hardy grapes developed in France are making a big diference.

We now have 20 vinyards and about 10 award winning wineries. The vinyards start with importing root stock of these new cold weather resistent wine grape varieties. Takes about 5 years before any grapes are produced once planted.

I realize the Wyoming climate is harsher but I bet something like this could be done in some areas Wyoming. The lowest area of the state is in the Belle Fouche River region. I have no doubt that in a few years Wyoming will be producing some awesome wines somewhere.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:28 PM

322 posts, read 587,282 times
Back in the day in northern Maine chokecherry wine & dandelion wine were winter staples. Both of these hearty plants are native, drought-resistant and thrive throughout Wyoming.

Does anyone have recopies for them?

As an aside young, tender dandelion greens are a favorite [bless mother]. Although a bit bitter, which is one of their best features, you can soak them overnight to make them less so. A pat of real butter – a splash of vinegar – a sprinkling of sea salt & fresh ground pepper. Yummee!! Not only free for the picking but good for you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming