Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 11:05 AM

264 posts, read 1,093,703 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give an estimate on what their utility bills are for gas & electric throughout the year in Buffalo/Sheridan? I have a 3bdr, 2ba, 1100sq.ft. apartment in south Texas and pay between $160 and $225 year-round just for electricity.

I saw a post on another thread about someone paying $205 in a bad winter month in Sheridan, but typically how many of those months do you experience in a season? Just trying to get a figure on my living expenses when we move to Buffalo in Sept.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 11:33 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,045,610 times
In this area, your gas and electric are through one company and come together on one bill. MDU Montana Dakota Utilities.

First off, I have a 1600 sq ft home. 3 bed, 2 bath. But I'm single so I'm the only one turning on lights and cooking dinner. Just so you have a set point to compare with.

In the 2 months in spring and 2 months in the fall. April May, and September October. It's cool enough that the central air doesn't run. And it's warm enough that the furnice doesn't run. My utilities run about $80 per month.

During the summer, June July August, with my central air set at 68 degrees and left there. My utilities run about $140 to $180 per month. June being the $140 end and the $180 being the really hot months.

During the winter, November, December, January, February, March, the furnace running, My utilites run about $150-$200. Depending on just how bad of a winter we get.

A few years back we had a solid month, all 30 days, that the high temp for the month was -25. Of course, my Utility bill kind of stung me that month. But that's not the norm. We also had a summer a couple years ago the the temp hovered around 100 for almost the whole month. Again, not the norm.

Right now, it's noon and it's 79 degrees with no wind. Yesterday the high was 98. The day before it was 99. But the lows at night range in the upper 50's to mid 60's. Great sleeping weather.

My daughter and son-in-law rented this house from me for a while. They never did see a bill of less then $240 a month. But they had a 4 year old boy that had to have every light in the house on. They had to have it set for 75 degrees in the winter and they set the air to 70 in the summer. I leave it set to 68 for both winter and summer.

Oh, and I live in Sheridan.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:01 PM

Thanks jgussler, that's a lot of useful information. Thanks for taking the time to post it. With the high energy costs down here we've become pretty good at being conservative with our electricity so hopefully that helps to offset the higher cost of housing there, and your info helps to give us a better idea of where we'd be with that.

Is Sheridan's housing situation similar to Buffalo's? Expensive, scarce and limited rentals available?

25 below zero for a month straight? I can't imagine what that will feel like. I've been used to heat, humidity and mosquito infested areas for a long time so that's going to be a shock. But I do long somewhere with more than 2 seasons so we'll see how it goes.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:49 PM

yup housing is scarce. Everybody says high priced. Well, it is and it ain't. haha It seems high to the local folks because they know what that house sold for 10 years ago. But I wouldn't consider it outragious.

My Daughter and her husband bought a house last year. 2 bedroom, 1 bath upstairs. Unfinished basement that has a finished bath. But enough room where you could turn it into 2 bedroom and a untility room for your laundry. They paid $130,000. Don't know the actual sq footage. Fairly good sized lot, and has a detached single car garage.

$200,000 can get you a brand new home around 2000 sq foot and a huge lot.

Having lived all over the US, I don't think those prices are unreasonable.

But yes, renting is hard to find. However, because people are always looking, the apartment houses don't advertise. Because they know somebody will enquire in a few days. Why waste the money on an advertisement? But that also leaves the paper with nothing to put under "Apartments for rent". I have a friend that lived in an apartment and something went wrong between him and the landlord. Not sure what. He decided to move. Took him 3 days to find another apartment and that was only looking after work.

So they're there. Just have to look around instead of looking at the paper. 1 bd apartment will run about $450 and will furnish some utilities. 2bd runs about $550.

They're building all the time. I'd bet that right now, there's around 80 homes in some stage of construction and will be ready by the end of August. Some of those are new apartment/condo type construction.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM

You're right, as with most things, real estate prices are relative. In most places I've lived $200K will get you up to 3500 sq.ft. on a .5-1acre lot. But I'm not coming to Wyoming expecting everything to be exactly the same as everywhere else I've lived. We'll adjust and get used to whatever need in order to live within our means. But I have seen some nice new homes for sale in the area for around $200K...3/2/2 homes 1.4/.5 sq.ft. 7K sq.ft. lots. From here it looks to be the best deal, just need to wait a month to come up and do some real house hunting. If you hear of anyone down around Buffalo renting out a home, I'd love to hear about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
$200,000 can get you a brand new home around 2000 sq foot and a huge lot.
What's a huge lot in your mind?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:36 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
Try living in Southern California where $500,000.00 will get you a 8' x 8' Rubbermaid garden shed in someone's backyard!

Old 07-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyvet79 View Post
You're right, as with most things, real estate prices are relative. In most places I've lived $200K will get you up to 3500 sq.ft. on a .5-1acre lot. But I'm not coming to Wyoming expecting everything to be exactly the same as everywhere else I've lived. We'll adjust and get used to whatever need in order to live within our means. But I have seen some nice new homes for sale in the area for around $200K...3/2/2 homes 1.4/.5 sq.ft. 7K sq.ft. lots. From here it looks to be the best deal, just need to wait a month to come up and do some real house hunting. If you hear of anyone down around Buffalo renting out a home, I'd love to hear about it.

What's a huge lot in your mind?
When you debate on buying a riding mower. hahaha I would consider a large lot as having at least 20 feet on either side of your house. A back yard that is approximately 100 ft from house to back fence. Front yard of about 75 ft from house to curb. Huge would be the next step up from what I described. Say, 3/4 acre lot or larger.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:19 PM

well just from the looking around online that I've done, if I can find anything on a lot bigger than 10,000 ft, that's pretty good. I'm talking with Greg Smith at Coldwell Banker about some properties in the Shiloh addition that all have around 8,000 ft lots. That's not bad I guess. Utilities should be lower for those homes too...right around 1,500 sq.ft. Anyone seen those homes in the Shiloh addition of Buffalo? From what the realtors say the homes all have great views of the mountains.

As far as living in SoCal...never.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
View detailed profiles of: