Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,773 times

Advertisements

I plan on retiring in 600 days from the Coast Guard. My wife and I are looking at either Evanston or Sheridan to retire to. Would someone from these areas be willing to tell me about these areas? I've been to CoC for both of these cities, but input from actual residents would be a great help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2006, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
I am a resident of Wyoming for nearly 50 years and lived in Buffalo for most of my early life through high school. I suggest relocating to Sheridan in lieu of Evanston. Sheridan is located at the foot of the Big Horn Mountains and is one of the most scenic cities in Wyoming. The wind does not blow in Sheridan as it does in Evanston. The City of Billings is 160 miles to the north. It is about 100,000 in size and has two major medical facilities. Sheridan has a VA center of which one of my parents regularly visits. Overall, I would pick Sheridan over Evanston.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstuckert
I am a resident of Wyoming for nearly 50 years and lived in Buffalo for most of my early life through high school. I suggest relocating to Sheridan in lieu of Evanston. Sheridan is located at the foot of the Big Horn Mountains and is one of the most scenic cities in Wyoming. The wind does not blow in Sheridan as it does in Evanston. The City of Billings is 160 miles to the north. It is about 100,000 in size and has two major medical facilities. Sheridan has a VA center of which one of my parents regularly visits. Overall, I would pick Sheridan over Evanston.
Thanks for responding. Having lived in Alaska for 10-years, and on the high plains here in New Mexico, wind is a concern. My wife is tired of high winds. The question is how windy does Evanston get? One of the reason we looked at Sheridan is because of the VA hospital.

Old 02-18-2006, 02:24 PM

[quote=Britany]Xmichael,
I disagaree with the previous post, I have lived in Evanston my whole life and the people in Evanston are very friendly, and it is a very clean town. Also We are only a hour and a half away from Salt Lake City which is very convieniant, they have some of the best medical facilities in the country, and an international airport. If you have any other questions I am a Real Estate Agent and would love to send you any other information to help you make an informed decision.

Thank you for your input. I was looking at Evanston due to altitude and the closeness of SLC. Since we will be concern overall with the job situation, that will have the biggest effect.

Last edited by MHT; 01-24-2007 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 03-05-2006, 12:20 PM

3 posts, read 15,155 times
I lived in Evanston for 1.5 years from september 2001 til april 2003 and loved every second of it. I agree with Britany when she says the people are real friendly. The wind does not blow a lot in Evanston. Cheyenne is known for the wind. I also lived there for 2 years. Having never been to Sheridan I can't comment on that part of the state except to say it is closer to Yellowstone than Evanston. If I came back to the States to live, it would be Evanston. No doubt about that.
Take a drive south of the town into the Uinta mountains. That is a very beautiful drive. Mirror Lake is roughly 35 miles down the road. Keep going past there over the mountains and you'll come to the Provo River Falls. It's natural beauty of the highest caliber.

Last edited by sigerkat; 03-05-2006 at 12:33 PM..

Old 03-14-2006, 07:18 PM

Thanks for responding! I appreciate the input. I have seen some pics of that southern area and you are right, it is a beautiful place.

Old 03-14-2006, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,684 times
Default Sheridan

xmichael, Howdy from Cowley Wyoming. I have a good friend that lives in Sheridan and I am sure he would be delighted to answer any questions you might have (I am 90 miles away on the western side of the Big Horn Mountains.) You can email him at doublecklivestock@hotmail.com and his name is Craig Maris.

Old 04-02-2006, 01:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,942 times
Default Ideas...

Good afternoon,

The wind does blow in Evanston, but generally only enough in the winter to keep it from being the coldspot of the nation. Riverton, Big Piney, etc. are not known for being windy therefore, there is nothing to "blow" the cold air out. The last winter I spent in Riverton, it stayed -45 for over two weeks.

The people in Evanston are nice. Be aware that you will have a huge amount of LDS (Mormon) church influence in politics, schools, businesses, housing, and every other aspect of day-to-day living. Good paying jobs are extremely few and far between for the average individual and even worse for the female population. Relative to the cost of living, and in particular the cost of housing, well, I hope your retirement is substantial and you don't smoke, have kids, own pets or want a garage.

I've been in Evanston since 1980, have a four-year college degree, live in the cheapest 2-bdrm apartment (with pets) I could find ($550/month) and make $8/hr with no benefits.

Old 04-16-2006, 09:23 AM

I appreciate your candor. I have to ask, if you find the area so "unpleasant", then why do you stay? While I do not know what your degree is in, I would think that since you find so many things "wrong" with area, that you stayed since 1980 amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRiver
Good afternoon,

The wind does blow in Evanston, but generally only enough in the winter to keep it from being the coldspot of the nation. Riverton, Big Piney, etc. are not known for being windy therefore, there is nothing to "blow" the cold air out. The last winter I spent in Riverton, it stayed -45 for over two weeks.

The people in Evanston are nice. Be aware that you will have a huge amount of LDS (Mormon) church influence in politics, schools, businesses, housing, and every other aspect of day-to-day living. Good paying jobs are extremely few and far between for the average individual and even worse for the female population. Relative to the cost of living, and in particular the cost of housing, well, I hope your retirement is substantial and you don't smoke, have kids, own pets or want a garage.

I've been in Evanston since 1980, have a four-year college degree, live in the cheapest 2-bdrm apartment (with pets) I could find ($550/month) and make $8/hr with no benefits.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,077,816 times
Default VA in Sheridan

The VA in Sheridan is outstanding. I spent 53 days in the VA in 2006. The people were very efficient and frendly. Paper work almost none existent. Everything is copterized. When you walk through the door they ask for your last 4 and you are either told to have a seat our are directed to another floor to one of they clinics up stairs. Very effient. Longest wait I've ever had was 2 hours and that was because I didn't have a apointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming